Dissecting Alabama vs. Wisconsin

JCswoosher2

Mar 6, 2015
I wanted to talk about this game because even though its the first game of the year, I think it is the most telling game for us. Our schedule is full of Power run teams. If we cant stop the run, our season is in trouble.

Wisconsin doesn't hide that they are going to run the football. If Alabama can shut down the run of a powerful team, It shows we have what it takes to compete this year. I understand 1 game cant tell all, but we will at least be healthy on the first game.

If we can not stop the run, teams like Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Auburn are going to give us fits and we finish with around 4 losses. If our secondary is getting burned by a slower Wisconsin offense, we will still have the same issues if not worse this year with our Defense. Our run Defense is our strong point for sure. We can only hope for ball hawks in the Secondary.

I personally see this game being something like 42 - 13 Alabama. I think Wisconsin will struggle to run against us and that's all they can do. I think we run the football with a sizeable lead experimenting with Coker and Cornwell. Nothing flashy just a decisive Alabama win. I don't expect a pass over 20 yards all game and very little Kenyan Drake. Over the years I think the worst thing that Alabama can do is get a big lead and be over confident. My only fear is that we are the hunted and they may want it more than us because we have become less physical.

Does anyone think this game is close?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: Disecting Alabama vs. Wisconsin

I think we'll win, but I think it will be a much tougher game than most of our fans think. Wisconsin is a big time program and they will be highly motivated for this game.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007

This game will be much closer than most of us here would like to think. We will win, but until our QB (whoever that is) can consistently move the ball in the air, it will be a dog-fight.

RTR!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I think we win, but that it's roughly even going into the 4th. Whether we cover with an inexperienced QB.....if I had a gun to my head, I'd probably take Wisky and the points.

If I didn't have a gun to my head, I'd just not bet. Too many major factors on both sides up in the air. At 10 - 12 points, I think it's a coin flip.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

if we can stop the run, we will be able to name our score. Unless he has had a heck of an offseason, Stave is one of the worst QB's in the Big whatever it is..Having said that, Clement scares me. He has the ability to take it to the house.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think it will be a game that plays kinda like our typical LSU games...it will be about who establishes the run, which defense forces the most 3rd and longs, and who best manages 3rd down situations. We probably have better pure athletes at WR but they're mostly unproven and the QB will be new too.

Probably will be a "first to 20 wins"

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

I think the game really boils down too how well we move the ball and on offense and score. It is hard for me to believe that any team is going to have much success running the ball against our defense this year. We are going to be pretty stout up front and, I don't think there is much doubt about that. If we struggle on offense it will be close, otherwise I think we win by at least 14 or more.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

Anyone watch the OSU/Wisconsin game from last year. OSU completely dismantled them. Will there be anything to learn from that game? I realize that Chryst is now the head coach.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Disecting Alabama vs. Wisconsin

I wanted to talk about this game because even though its the first game of the year, I think it is the most telling game for us. Our schedule is full of Power run teams. If we cant stop the run, our season is in trouble.

Wisconsin doesn't hide that they are going to run the football. If Alabama can shut down the run of a powerful team, It shows we have what it takes to compete this year. I understand 1 game cant tell all, but we will at least be healthy on the first game.

If we can not stop the run, teams like Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Auburn are going to give us fits and we finish with around 4 losses. If our secondary is getting burned by a slower Wisconsin offense, we will still have the same issues if not worse this year with our Defense. Our run Defense is our strong point for sure. We can only hope for ball hawks in the Secondary.

I personally see this game being something like 42 - 13 Alabama. I think Wisconsin will struggle to run against us and that's all they can do. I think we run the football with a sizeable lead experimenting with Coker and Cornwell. Nothing flashy just a decisive Alabama win. I don't expect a pass over 20 yards all game and very little Kenyan Drake. Over the years I think the worst thing that Alabama can do is get a big lead and be over confident. My only fear is that we are the hunted and they may want it more than us because we have become less physical.

Does anyone think this game is close?
I respectfully disagree with your analysis of the defense. Since CNS has been here, Bama has never really consistently struggled with stopping power running offenses. It won't be any different this game. What the Alabama defense has struggled with over the past few years in regards to run defense is containing the edge. Wisconsin doesn't really have the team speed on offense to test Alabama on the edge.

And I don't think the final score will be close. If the game is close or Alabama loses, it's going to be a very long season considering Wisconsin is at best the 3rd or 4th best team of the B1G..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Wisconsin has some big time players in its secondary and I expect Alabama will gain yards in small chunks, but win going away.

JCswoosher2 is an interesting handle. A basketball player, perhaps?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I also think the game will be close, but am confident in a Bama win. 24-14 or 27-20, something like that. It's been said over and over, but if we can have above average QB play, we'll be fine.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

While Alabama may face teams that use a power run game, Arkansas is the only team on the schedule similar to Wisconsin. LSU is somewhat similar, but it has some talented WRs if the QB play is decent to average in 2015. UGA is not going to just line up and run the ball like Wisconsin. Auburn incorporates a power run game but does it out of a different formation. Stopping Wisconsin's run game isn't like stopping Auburn's due their use of the spread.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Our front 7, especially the linemen, should be the best and deepest in the country this year. I've got a lot of confidence that we will be able to shut down their running game and affect the QB. I think Wisconsin will struggle to sustain drives and score touchdowns.

I think the chances are we struggle on offense as well due to Wisconsin being a good team, and us trying to get settled at QB. I don't know if we cover the spread, but I expect a score on the low side. Something like 24-13 or 20-13.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

if we can stop the run, we will be able to name our score. Unless he has had a heck of an offseason, Stave is one of the worst QB's in the Big whatever it is..Having said that, Clement scares me. He has the ability to take it to the house.
Trevor Knight of OU was horrible last year also but he had the night of his life against us in the 2014 Sugar Bowl.

In a tough slog, I look for us to win something like 27-17 or 27-20. I think Saban forces Kiffin to go conservative and not give anything away for the Ole Miss or Georgia games.

Last edited:

tidegrandpa

All-American

You're right on the money. After their big back went down against LSU last year, that poor guy could not throw it in the ocean. LSU came back and whipped 'em.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.