Dissecting Alabama vs. Wisconsin

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Re: Disecting Alabama vs. Wisconsin

If our front 7 is the real deal, as we've been hearing, this game will be lop-sided. Maybe 31-12 type of game. Guys, our defense is going to be scary good.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I wanted to talk about this game because even though its the first game of the year, I think it is the most telling game for us. Our schedule is full of Power run teams. If we cant stop the run, our season is in trouble.

Wisconsin doesn't hide that they are going to run the football. If Alabama can shut down the run of a powerful team, It shows we have what it takes to compete this year. I understand 1 game cant tell all, but we will at least be healthy on the first game.

If we can not stop the run, teams like Georgia, Arkansas, LSU, Auburn are going to give us fits and we finish with around 4 losses. If our secondary is getting burned by a slower Wisconsin offense, we will still have the same issues if not worse this year with our Defense. Our run Defense is our strong point for sure. We can only hope for ball hawks in the Secondary.

I personally see this game being something like 42 - 13 Alabama. I think Wisconsin will struggle to run against us and that's all they can do. I think we run the football with a sizeable lead experimenting with Coker and Cornwell. Nothing flashy just a decisive Alabama win. I don't expect a pass over 20 yards all game and very little Kenyan Drake. Over the years I think the worst thing that Alabama can do is get a big lead and be over confident. My only fear is that we are the hunted and they may want it more than us because we have become less physical.

Does anyone think this game is close?
I have it 6 scores to three also, but when has Bama scored nothing but TDs against a quality opponent? 34-13 Bama!

JCswoosher2

Mar 6, 2015

I think our Defensive line is insane good. But yet I get scared that they all know they will be in the NFL next year. Despite losing our whole defensive line, Im excited 2 years from now at our experienced Secondary and LB's. Stave doesn't scare me at all and so that means Clements will have to go off. If that's the case and we know they are running, They are in trouble. I just hope for our confidence that we can get a few turnovers and not give up a deep ball.

I know better than to think we run the score up and be flashy, but I think we just wear them down and 3 & out them to where we just have many opportunities to score.

This win is huge for us In the big picture. It is important for us to beat this team by 20 and hope they make there conference championship.

My fear going into the season is...... 3rd & 8. What do we do? I don't think we have a solid option go to guy going in to the season. I don't like field goals, but I wouldn't mind having some confidence in them.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

I'm more worried about 3rd and 8 defensively. I still can't believe how good our defense was last year on 1st and 2nd down, only to give up big play after big play on 3rd down.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

If our front 7 is the real deal, as we've been hearing, this game will be lop-sided. Maybe 31-12 type of game. Guys, our defense is going to be scary good.
That same thing was said last yr. let's see what our secondary does against Georgia first.

JCswoosher2

Mar 6, 2015

I'm more worried about 3rd and 8 defensively. I still can't believe how good our defense was last year on 1st and 2nd down, only to give up big play after big play on 3rd down.
One thing I have always noticed on that is our linebackers want to always rush the line just for disruption and all the other team does is a quick slant at the middle of the field where the linebackers are supposed to be for the first down. This would also cause the Safety to creep up to fill the hole and get burned. In years past its almost like the Defensive line doesn't want a sack but more of just disruption for the QB.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

One thing I have always noticed on that is our linebackers want to always rush the line just for disruption and all the other team does is a quick slant at the middle of the field where the linebackers are supposed to be for the first down. This would also cause the Safety to creep up to fill the hole and get burned.
We started to see more passes batted down by the DL last year. Hopefully, that continues on plays like you mentioned.

In years past its almost like the Defensive line doesn't want a sack but more of just disruption for the QB.
Get a media credential for one Saban presser and ask him about this. You'll become famous. :wink:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I wouldn't be concerned with that. We had many issues on 3rd down situations. I think it was mostly because of miscommunications between players. Many times.. We saw DL over rushing and causing opposing Qbs to see running lane... and LBs was confused.... I think we'll fix that this year.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Its nothing wrong with disruption of the plays. If they get their hands up and knock it down, better that on a play where we might have a busted coverage or someone was wide open. I'll take anything that will get them to punt the ball back to us.

One thing I have always noticed on that is our linebackers want to always rush the line just for disruption and all the other team does is a quick slant at the middle of the field where the linebackers are supposed to be for the first down. This would also cause the Safety to creep up to fill the hole and get burned. In years past its almost like the Defensive line doesn't want a sack but more of just disruption for the QB.

Its nothing wrong with disruption of the plays. If they get their hands up and knock it down, better that on a play where we might have a busted coverage or someone was wide open. I'll take anything that will get them to punt the ball back to us.

What up JNM81...

I saw the same thing you did. It's funny in the semi final we had OSU QB sacked plenty of times and just didn't get him to the ground. We were good on third down, but at the same token I saw some breakdowns as well. I, for some reason, think we will be a lot better there this year.

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama

I agree with most of the posts on here, a close game in the second half that we end up pulling away from in the 4th. 30-20 or 31-17 - something like that. I am encouraged by our D....looked great at A day. Which is of course a double-edged sword but still.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.