Saban Biography "Saban: The Making of a Coach" Thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thus far, the main discussion around the book has been the Texas talk. There are a few threads on the topic, so let's leave that out of here.

A few articles from Casagrande on the book.

7 things you'll learn from Nick Saban biography from getting fired to meeting wife Terry

It took several years and more than 250 interviews for Monte Burke to write and publish his latest book.

"Saban: The Making of a Coach" is a comprehensive look at Alabama's football coach and is set for an Aug. 4 release. The 326-page biography touches on every step in Nick Saban's life, from the hills of West Virginia to Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Few details were skipped from his dramatic departure from Miami to Alabama and the attempts from Texas boosters to bring him to Austin.

The book was full of interesting moments and anecdotes. Here are seven that you'll find when the hardback version is released Aug. 4.

New biography examines many sides of Nick Saban, including tear-filled job changes

He's polarizing, yet beloved ― loathed where he was once embraced.

Nick Saban is complicated. That's the simple assessment that Monte Burke took 326 pages to explain. His unauthorized biography of Alabama's football coach weaves his complicated past through is process-driven present in perhaps the most complete and revealing look at the Saban's life.

Set for release Tuesday from publisher Simon and Schuster, "Saban: The Making of a Coach" reveals his tear-filled, almost tortured decisions when changing jobs in moves that would fuel his nomadic reputation. The hardback captures everything from a detailed account of his childhood, his relationship with a demanding father to a blow-by-blow description of his successes and failures as an assistant and head coach.
And for those that don't want to believe the book because it's unauthorized:

Though Saban said he didn't participate in the book, Saban didn't stand in Burke's way. More than 250 interviews helped form the story that took a year and a half to write. Before starting, the Forbes writer with Alabama roots had a long phone conversation with Saban, telling him he'd approach it journalistically and without bias.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
If you think for a minute that CNS didnt think long and hard about what he said in his press conference, the we really underestimate him. Now thats is a question someone needs to ask him after the season. I wonder how many orders that just cost the author?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was considering buying the book until I saw Saban's reaction to it.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Maybe he's got a beef with the history department.

Suggesting that the only valuable history is one authorized by the subject is not exactly the most...uhm...profound position he's ever put forth.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If someone took advantage of you and your family for personal gain, I bet that you would throw a temper tantrum, too.
Coach Saban is a public figure. It's clear he doesn't enjoy that, but there is no other choice if he wants to pursue the career he loves, coaching football at a high level of competition. The scrutiny he receives goes hand in hand with the money he is paid and the working environment he has where he gets pretty much anything he wants in terms of facilities. It's a tradeoff, just like all of us have to wrestle with in our jobs, just with more perks.

If the author lied, there is legal recourse. If the author just viewed and presented events differently than Coach does, well you can't worry too much about what folks say about you. We don't know for sure, but al.com reports seem to indicate Coach did not actively discourage this book until yesterday. That's too late, IF that is how it happened.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
Can you see Coach Bryant going thru what CNS does today? And people think CNS has a temper, trust me you have not seen a coach go off until you saw Coach Bryant.

I really liked John McKay when he was with the Bucs, he let loose on the media here numerous times.

All the real Greats are a little odd, or everyone would be Great.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I doubt that he would have cared about this had the author left his family out of it.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
Coach Saban is a public figure. It's clear he doesn't enjoy that, but there is no other choice if he wants to pursue the career he loves, coaching football at a high level of competition. The scrutiny he receives goes hand in hand with the money he is paid and the working environment he has where he gets pretty much anything he wants in terms of facilities. It's a tradeoff, just like all of us have to wrestle with in our jobs, just with more perks.

If the author lied, there is legal recourse. If the author just viewed and presented events differently than Coach does, well you can't worry too much about what folks say about you. We don't know for sure, but al.com reports seem to indicate Coach did not actively discourage this book until yesterday. That's too late, IF that is how it happened.

I do not interpret Coach Saban's comments as a "temper Tantrum" but a statement that nips in the bud having to answer numerous questions in future press conferences about what was written about him in the book. Isn't the goal to try and minimize outside distractions and focus on the task at hand... building a championship football team?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Monte Burke responds to what CNS said yesterday.

"I kind of expected (Saban) to not like it," Burke told AL.com Friday morning. "I don't take issue with him voicing opinions on it. The word unauthorized has negative connotations, but the goal here wasn't to write some gossip tell-all, nor was it to do some big sloppy wet kiss. It was to do something fair and objective and I think that's what emerged.

"I didn't just make this stuff up. I talked to more than 250 people who know him very well, some of whom he gave permission to talk to me. So it's not like I'm pulling this stuff out of thin air. Most of these people attached their names to the quotes and wanted to be quoted."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If someone took advantage of you and your family for personal gain, I bet that you would throw a temper tantrum, too.
Yea, Saban has never profited off of any players or universities for personal gain. The irony that Saban is mad about someone making chump change off of writing a book about him is unfathomable..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I do not interpret Coach Saban's comments as a "temper Tantrum" but a statement that nips in the bud having to answer numerous questions in future press conferences about what was written about him in the book. Isn't the goal to try and minimize outside distractions and focus on the task at hand... building a championship football team?
I'm going with this explanation. Think "clutter".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.