Link: Injury Luck

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
A subject Coach Bryant referred to on many occasions. Had no idea that tOSU lost but 4 starts in 2014 to injury. Very interesting stats on the following season for teams with the highest and lowest.

Lost 5 Starts or Fewer

In the last 8 years, there have been 56 teams that have lost 5 or fewer starts. Of this 56, the results are as follows:

• 37 had a worse record (66.1%)
  • 6 had the same record (8.9%)
  • 43 had a worse or same record (76.8%)

This year’s teams that fall into this category are:

• Ohio State- 4
    • Fresno State- 5
    • Michigan State- 5
http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/AUG15/DBAug03.html

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is huge support for the grinding aspect of an SEC West schedule. NOBODY loses that few starts. Plus, the physical nature of play means there are innumerable players with serious dings that, while not quite bad enough to make them miss a game, definitely undermine performance.

Yeldon last year and McCarron the previous two come to mind. Coop was never healthy in 2013, and Lacy is just now getting over that turf toe from 2012.

It's true that everybody deals with this to some extent. But nobody outside of the SECW deals with it to the degree those 7 teams do.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This opposite end of the spectrum has a SEC West team on it, though...

Lost 34 Starts or More
In the last 8 years, there have been 126 teams that have lost 34 or more starts. Of this 126, the results are as follows:

• 71 had an improved record (56.3%)
  • 15 had the same record (11.9%)
  • 86 improved or remained the same (68.3%)

This year’s teams that fall into this category are:

• Iowa State- 42
  • Wyoming- 41
  • BYU- 48
  • Texas A&M- 37
  • Appalachian State- 35
  • Georgia State- 34
  • San Jose State- 34
Odds TAMU has a better record this year are decent.

boatmax

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2004
Guntersvliie, AL
I do believe that lack of injuries is as important as anything in winning football games/championships. In 1992 Gene Stallings team was virtually injury free. One of Mike Shula's teams were so riddled with injuries, that it seemed like half the team was on crutches.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This does make a very valid point. Sometimes I see finger pointing, and blame assigned, but one of the first places I tend to look is who was missing? Take Auburn in 2013 for example. Yes, play calling was an issue, and some people blame that, and kicking was an issue that exacerbated play calling, and some people blame that, but pretty early on in that game the thing that stuck with me was how badly Alabama missed Vinny. He was their best tackler in the secondary, and it sure seemed to me that good tackling in the secondary was very much needed in that game. That doesn't excuse everything, and it is kind of lame you get your butts kicked and make excuses, but sometimes luck conspires against you. Luck isn't always a blocked kick, or a fluke touchdown, sometimes it's getting injured, or not getting injured.

In terms of Ohio State, it certainly explains how they could look so bad against Virginia Tech, and mediocre early on and then play as well as they played at the end. If you can keep your team intact, they are likely to get better as the season progresses and clearly they did. Now, this doesn't count preseason as Ohio State lost their QB prior to the start of the season, so that's a bit skewed, and I don't think this means that much since Ohio State has a very easy schedule this year. However, it's something football fans should factor in. Easier schedules, less injuries, those all mean easier paths to the playoffs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is huge support for the grinding aspect of an SEC West schedule. NOBODY loses that few starts. Plus, the physical nature of play means there are innumerable players with serious dings that, while not quite bad enough to make them miss a game, definitely undermine performance.

Yeldon last year and McCarron the previous two come to mind. Coop was never healthy in 2013, and Lacy is just now getting over that turf toe from 2012.

It's true that everybody deals with this to some extent. But nobody outside of the SECW deals with it to the degree those 7 teams do.
This seems to be common sense to me and one sure fire way to back it up is to simply check the NFL draft each year. By and large the SEC always leads the draft, and the SEC West has been more successful recently. Hence, SEC teams face NFL ready talent far more often than any other conference. The bumps and bruises are bound to add up quicker than they would otherwise.

This is why, as logic clearly dictates, an 11-1 record against an SEC schedule is superior to a 12-0 Big Ten record for example. In fact, a 10-2 SEC schedule may still be superior to the 12-0 Big Ten/ACC/PAC 12/Big 12 schedule depending on certain factors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.