RIP Joe King

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is this as a consequence of the car wreck he had over a year ago?

I know he sure did have a lot of problems. He was shot in 1988 and had given his Christian testimony.

RIP Joe and thanks for the memories.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
I had the distinction of meeting him when he spoke at a local church during his time in the doghouse with Coach Curry (first time.) I remember watching him fold out of the car he was driving. Mountain of a man. Didn't look to have an ounce of fat on him. Largest human being I have ever seen in person.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
In the "most impressive specimen" thread of a couple of months ago, Joe was my pick.

Stood on the field next to him on Fan day. First 300 pounder I ever saw that little to no fat on him. Very impressive, but personal problems got in way.

Rest in peace, big fella.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Link

Former Alabama football player Joe King died today, a little more than a year after a car accident left him paralyzed.

An offensive lineman under coaches Ray Perkins and Bill Curry, King was 47.

On June 22, 2014, King was seriously injured in a car accident when he lost control of his truck and left the roadway, striking a culvert and a tree. The accident left him paralyzed.

A native of Gadsden, King stood 6 feet 7 inches tall and weighed more than 300 pounds, playing from 1985 to 1988. He had a troubled career at Alabama, struggling with substance abuse problems off the field and legal trouble after his dismissal. In recent years, he had worked as a counselor in drug and rehabilitation programs and with law enforcement.

In late June, King from his hospital bed, gave a series of interviews with WTZT in Athens about his life on the first anniversary of his accident. Gloria Cooper, who helped conduct the interviews, said King wanted to tell his story in hopes that "at least one person" might be able to learn from his life.

His message for recovering addicts was simple - they should faithfully continue with group meetings and sponsors to stay accountable. But he also used the interview to share his faith, and related that he had led two people to Christ from his hospital bed.

King, Cooper said, had the biggest hands she had ever seen, "and a very good heart." Since the interviews, Cooper said, King's testimony has been used in outreaches and drug courts to inspire change.

"He was phenomenal," Cooper said. "He had an attitude that was amazing. There are a lot of people, who are a lot less disabled than he was, who have worse attitudes. The love that He had for God was inspiring. We asked him some pretty tough questions and he answered."

King's funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at Gadsden's Collier-Butler Funeral Home.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
As a recovering addict and the father of an alcoholic/addict, I can relate. The demons never leave you. The moment you think they have is your most vulnerable time. I'm glad Joe was able to spend the last year of his life reaching out to others with a message of hope.

And we all need hope from time to time.

Rest in Peace, Joe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.