News Article: Cyrus Jones Feels Overlooked Nationally, Ready to 'Show People What I'm All About'

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have it on very good authority that the entire defense feels that way....

Nothing like a room full of 300 lbs freak 5 star athletes motivated by being slighted

This is a good thing....a very good thing
I hope so - if the secondary steps up this defense will be hellacious.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I sit and scratch my head and wonder why certain members on here just post to tell other members and/or players to shut their mouth. Quite baffling considering this is a discussion forum..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My guess is that it's the harsh and unsympathetic tone of the criticisms leveled. These are players and coaches who desire and IMO, deserve, support from their fanbase. Not that a differing view or disappointment, etc. can't be voiced, but should it be in the form of "shut up..." ? In light of all that they have accomplished, if any program's coaches and players should be supported and appreciated it should be Alabama's. Even moreso in view of the constant attack the program and Coach Saban are under from the national, regional and even local press unlike any other program in the country.

Some posters denigrated a good and conciencious player, other posters criticized them, then you criticized them. I'm not sure what the answer is and since I'm not a mod, it's not my place to dictate board decorum, but I gave an honest opinion of why some criticisms are rejected and a possible remedy.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
The first 3 posts on this thread are making it hard to wait for the season. I am anxious to see this year's defense. I think it's gonna be one we all enjoy and talk about for a long time.

No DB is gonna be perfect by Cyrus deserves our thanks and support. They kept coming at him last year and he kept making them pay. Not every time but enough. He's aight!

tidefanman

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 25, 2010
Moody, AL
I didn't know that he was playing hurt all of last year - at 75%. And now he is at 100%, I believe and expect him to be much better. I was watching the Auburn game a few nights back and he was very strong in defending against Duke so I am excited to see him play even better this year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Folks, come on. He's not talking trash at all. This is not the 1980s Miami Hurricanes. This is a slighted player who is confident in his ability to prove people wrong. Or, put another way, to show people that they have overlooked one of the best CBs in the country.

This is a rarity at Nick Saban's Alabama. We have an all-conference talent completely ignored in pre-season watch lists. This is also good thing for motivation, as you can see by Mr. Jones's comments. I have no issue with them and frankly, they make me feel very good about our prospects this year.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Cyrus was solid last year, and he's a senior, so I'm a little surprised he wasn't on the watch list.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is interesting! Last year people were ripping Cyrus butt all year long and even called for him to be taken out of the game at one point. Cyrus had a good year, and I have every confidence that he will have even better year. Dude is real good at what he does. Very physical and will fight for the ball every time. We're going to be real nasty on defense this year. Very physical team. We'll wear the team out in 3rd and 4th quarters and finish strong.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
By the way, I dont think he was talking trash. This was a conversation between father and son. This shouldn't be taken out of concept or anything... its not that deep. I have no issue with this article. Let's focus on the topic.... If Cyrus have good year on Defense and maybe returning kicks... man... that would be epic year for him.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Talk is cheap.
do your talking on the field, Cyrus.
C'mon RTR 91, what he said was for public consumption, or we wouldn't be talking about it, now would we? Let's see what he does on the field. He's going to get that opportunity.
I wonder what part of keep your mouth shut and let your playing speak for you did this kid forget . You think CNS may have a prayer meeting with him.
Agreed. These player / coach "interviews" are completely worthless...... What does anyone really expect their answers to be like?

Again, this wasn't an interview with Cyrus. This was an interview with Cyrus' father, who relayed to the reporter sentiments his son had relayed to him.

I know reading comprehension is hard but c'mon guys.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Agreed. These player / coach "interviews" are completely worthless...... What does anyone really expect their answers to be like?
I guess we should just shutdown the site then. No use in talking about things since the players and coaches are going to be positive. No use in posting those interviews.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I guess we should just shutdown the site then. No use in talking about things since the players and coaches are going to be positive. No use in posting those interviews.
I would agree, in that, posting these interviews (whether they be players . coaches / family) has next to zero point.....it has nothing...NOTHING to do with positive things to say. Honestly, don't you feel like that you could predict the general aspect of the answers before the questions are even asked?

As far as posting to the board....entirely different matter. Fans can certainly give opinions. I just can't seem to find any benefit in most every player / coach / family interviews, 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Again, this wasn't an interview with Cyrus. This was an interview with Cyrus' father, who relayed to the reporter sentiments his son had relayed to him.

I know reading comprehension is hard but c'mon guys.
Makes no difference to me if a family member gave the interviews as opposed to a player / coach. The answers are most likely the same general answer.... Again, what did you expect to hear?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I really get tired of hearing "he is playing with a chip on his shoulder", "he feels he has been dissed" or "he is not getting the respect he feels he deserves". Why does a player feel like he has say something other than, "I am hoping to show improvement, focus on getting better and giving 100% on every play". It's always about me and not we which has been part of our problem the past couple of years.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I really get tired of hearing "he is playing with a chip on his shoulder", "he feels he has been dissed" or "he is not getting the respect he feels he deserves". Why does a player feel like he has say something other than, "I am hoping to show improvement, focus on getting better and giving 100% on every play". It's always about me and not we which has been part of our problem the past couple of years.
Rhonda Rousey felt this way and you see what happened. If it makes you turn it up a notch which it does in many cases then use it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I give up. I don't understand why folks are making a big deal out of this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.