News Article: Cyrus Jones Feels Overlooked Nationally, Ready to 'Show People What I'm All About'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

A frustrated Cyrus Jones called his father, Cyrus Jones Sr., shortly after the watch list for the Jim Thorpe watch list was released in July.

Forty-two defensive backs recognized. Alabama's senior cornerback wasn't one of them, even after being named second-team All-SEC last season despite playing the entire year through a torn hip labrum that required surgery following the season.

Jones told his dad, "People still don't respect me," later stating confidently, "I guarantee people are going to respect me by the end of this year if they don't already."

Entering his third year as a starting cornerback for the Tide, Jones still feels overlooked and underappreciated nationally, beliefs that make the already fiery and competitive Baltimore native even more motivated heading into this season.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I have it on very good authority that the entire defense feels that way....

Nothing like a room full of 300 lbs freak 5 star athletes motivated by being slighted

This is a good thing....a very good thing

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have it on very good authority that the entire defense feels that way....

Nothing like a room full of 300 lbs freak 5 star athletes motivated by being slighted

This is a good thing....a very good thing
Agreed a very good thing. Cyrus had a very solid year last year and I remember Gary Danielson during one telecast say that Cyrus was having an all-American type year (I believe it was the MSU game). Cyrus never got torched and if he could have made a play on the ball on several occasions he would have certainly be on the list and a pre-season AA candidate.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I sit and scratch my head and wonder why certain members on here just post to tell other members and/or players to shut their mouth. Quite baffling considering this is a discussion forum..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I wonder what part of keep your mouth shut and let your playing speak for you did this kid forget . You think CNS may have a prayer meeting with him.
Dude - the interview with the reporter was with his dad and it's his dad saying what CJ said. It's not like CJ is out there broadcasting this to reporters. He's just having a conversation with his pops - sounds like a pretty good grounding to me.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I didn't really read any part of it as bragadocious, just confident and playing with a chip. He's a corner back it kind of comes with the territory.

Obviously I hope he has a year where he wins those awards that he's not on the watch list for. He's a big piece of next year's team.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I don't have a problem with what he said. I'd have a lot bigger problem with a DB who didn't have a chip on his shoulder or swagger. Like someone else said previously it wasn't like he was all out on ESPN broadcasting.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Yeah, wouldn't want a player telling his dad how he feels. :rolleyes:

C'mon RTR 91, what he said was for public consumption, or we wouldn't be talking about it, now would we? Let's see what he does on the field. He's going to get that opportunity.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
do your talking on the field, Cyrus.
Jones was talking TO HIS DAD who then talked to a reporter. It's not like he's going all Deon Sanders on us or something. I'd be ....ED if he wasn't talking to his dad about how he felt and what he was going to do to prove the doubters wrong!

Also, CJ was a ROCK last year. 2013, not as much, but 2014 he was just about as solid as he could be. If he's better this year, he's locking down a decent draft slot if his measurables work out ok.

Jeez - I can wait for practice to start so we can get all the BS behind us.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
C'mon RTR 91, what he said was for public consumption, or we wouldn't be talking about it, now would we? Let's see what he does on the field. He's going to get that opportunity.
He talked to his dad. He didn't tell those comments to reporters.

Cyrus was the best CB we had last year. As someone else mentioned, Gary Danielson couldn't stop raving about him in the MSU game. Gary commented that teams remember what Mike Evans did to him in 2013 "and Cyrus just stands over there and says 'you know he was a pretty good receiver' and continues to make teams pay for attacking him."

Some are acting like Cyrus was bad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.