Link: Craig James suing Fox Sports for Religious Discrimination

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Craig James gives me the creeps. Guess he wouldn't sue unless his lawyer said something good would happen?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I'm no Craig James apologist; nevertheless, he was never given an opportunity to show whether or not he would express his beliefs publicly while an employee of Fox Sports Southwest. Seems like he was fired for what he might he say.

“We just asked ourselves how Craig’s statements would play in our human resources department. He couldn’t say those things here.”

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think James is a helicopter dad and is indicative of everything wrong with child-rearing in modern western society, but I have a hard time believing he doesn't have reason to sue here.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think James is a helicopter dad and is indicative of everything wrong with child-rearing in modern western society, but I have a hard time believing he doesn't have reason to sue here.
Yeah, I see where you are coming form here. I wonder if the state of employment is a state in which an employee can be fired for any cause.
In today's climate, I can see how The New Totalitarians might get their panties in a twist about the statement, but, since he made it before he was an employee of Fox Sports (or Fox Sports was even considering hiring him), that Fox Sports could just say, "This statement does not reflect Fox Sports policy. Mr. James was speaking on his own behalf" and leave it at that. The New Totalitarians might not like that answer, however.

I don't normally go to sports commentators for validation of my political beliefs so I find this innocuous.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In many states, the statue of limitations for filing a civil suit is 2 years. He may have waited too long.
If he went the EEOC route, which he probably did, he would have had 180 days to file with them (300, if the state has a similar agency). The EEOC hearing delay depends on their case load. If he doesn't like the disposition of the EEOC, he receives a "right to sue" letter, meaning suit in federal court. The limitation is then two years, unless the act were willful, which he's probably claiming, in which case it's three years, so he's probably not late. The interesting aspect of the case to me is trying to equate his position on gay rights to a religious view. I know people who are pro gay rights and also anti who are atheists...

tidegrandpa

All-American
If he went the EEOC route, which he probably did, he would have had 180 days to file with them (300, if the state has a similar agency). The EEOC hearing delay depends on their case load. If he doesn't like the disposition of the EEOC, he receives a "right to sue" letter, meaning suit in federal court. The limitation is then two years, unless the act were willful, which he's probably claiming, in which case it's three years, so he's probably not late. The interesting aspect of the case to me is trying to equate his position on gay rights to a religious view. I know people who are pro gay rights and also anti who are atheists...
And what he said was not 'on air' at Fox.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My thoughts exactly, not to mention his previous history with SMU. On top of that I never thought he was very good at his job.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have a case.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
He was fired 48 hours after he was hired. They specifically stated at the time that his hire was never approved by corporate (the regional fox sports did it on their own where they were not allowed) and they mentioned at the time that it had nothing to do with his political statements and everything to do with how he abused his power at espn trying to get Mike Leach fired. He has no leg to stand on and is simply trying salvage his life by positioning himself as a Christian Martyr. I'd be shocked if he isn't making the tier 2 conservative talk radio rounds with a new book inside of 3 months

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He was fired 48 hours after he was hired. They specifically stated at the time that his hire was never approved by corporate (the regional fox sports did it on their own where they were not allowed) and they mentioned at the time that it had nothing to do with his political statements and everything to do with how he abused his power at espn trying to get Mike Leach fired.
Ahh, I had no idea about all this - definitely changes things.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He was fired 48 hours after he was hired. They specifically stated at the time that his hire was never approved by corporate (the regional fox sports did it on their own where they were not allowed) and they mentioned at the time that it had nothing to do with his political statements and everything to do with how he abused his power at espn trying to get Mike Leach fired. He has no leg to stand on and is simply trying salvage his life by positioning himself as a Christian Martyr. I'd be shocked if he isn't making the tier 2 conservative talk radio rounds with a new book inside of 3 months
In this case, he has.. no case. And this is typical Craig James. He is a grade A jack (you know what) and always tries to position himself or his interests as being victimized. All the while he's actually the one at fault.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is what you're talking about, and you're correct.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/fox...-his-conservative-religious-views-1200668039/

“Mr. James, while both experienced and knowledgeable, is a polarizing figure in the college sports community. Regrettably, the decision to use him was not properly vetted, and as a result he will no longer provide commentary on Fox Sports Southwest’s college football coverage.”

James was hired by Jon Heidtke, general manager of the regional sports network. His dismissal was announced two days after his sole Aug. 31 appearanc
e.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...mes-fired-fox-sports-religious-discrimination

In addition to bringing little to the booth beyond tired clichés and obvious, mundane analysis, his credibility took a massive hit when he played a major role in getting former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach fired.

When Fox Sports Southwest hired James as a studio analyst in on Aug. 30, the move drew a predictable disdainful reaction from the Internet. National executives at Fox Sports said they were not informed of the hiring before it happened, and they quickly snuffed out James' FSSW career after just one appearance on the network.

Btw - I'm a Christian, I don't think this rises to any level of anti-religious discrimination, and James was an awful analyst anyway.

And Todd Blackledge is a Christian and one hundred times better an analyst than Craig James.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is what you're talking about, and you're correct.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/fox...-his-conservative-religious-views-1200668039/

“Mr. James, while both experienced and knowledgeable, is a polarizing figure in the college sports community. Regrettably, the decision to use him was not properly vetted, and as a result he will no longer provide commentary on Fox Sports Southwest’s college football coverage.”

James was hired by Jon Heidtke, general manager of the regional sports network. His dismissal was announced two days after his sole Aug. 31 appearanc
e.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...mes-fired-fox-sports-religious-discrimination

In addition to bringing little to the booth beyond tired clichés and obvious, mundane analysis, his credibility took a massive hit when he played a major role in getting former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach fired.

When Fox Sports Southwest hired James as a studio analyst in on Aug. 30, the move drew a predictable disdainful reaction from the Internet. National executives at Fox Sports said they were not informed of the hiring before it happened, and they quickly snuffed out James' FSSW career after just one appearance on the network.

Btw - I'm a Christian, I don't think this rises to any level of anti-religious discrimination, and James was an awful analyst anyway.

And Todd Blackledge is a Christian and one hundred times better an analyst than Craig James.
He'll get a settlement out of it...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.