Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It's a little scary that a true freshman seems to have a real shot at starting. Good news on Damien Harris, though.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
For the sake of calming anyone who may be worried, the job is Coker's to lose. Barnett won't start. Kiffin's talk about the QB race being wide open is coach-speak for the most part. He's firmly behind Coker, and is doing everything he can to get him ready for Wisconsin. Now, Coker may blow it. But he'll have every opportunity (more so than everyone else) to win the job. And Cornwell is next in line. I will be beyond shocked if Barnett wins the job...and if he does (and makes it through the season with a lot of success) expect transfers en masse.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
For the sake of calming anyone who may be worried, the job is Coker's to lose. Barnett won't start. Kiffin's talk about the QB race being wide open is coach-speak for the most part. He's firmly behind Coker, and is doing everything he can to get him ready for Wisconsin. Now, Coker may blow it. But he'll have every opportunity (more so than everyone else) to win the job. And Cornwell is next in line. I will be beyond shocked if Barnett wins the job...and if he does (and makes it through the season with a lot of success) expect transfers en masse.

Great info, Mack, thanks...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
well, heck, given how kids think they should start before even getting on campus these days...I expect a QB to transfer after this season (probably Bateman or the like) and after next season (Cornwell or Barnett).

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
well, heck, given how kids think they should start before even getting on campus these days...I expect a QB to transfer after this season (probably Bateman or the like) and after next season (Cornwell or Barnett).
I agree. Kids can be very short sited. Just look at Del Rio. He would probably be our starting QB last year and this year had he stayed. I realize there is a small window for these athletes though

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Thank you. It's great to get info from someone honest and informed.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL

Lets just say for the sake of what CLK has said, it speaks pretty loud that Barnett is on par with these guys after about 20 practices under his belt. I know he looked the part most of A-Day, but the one drive he was "coached" was as pretty of a drive the whole game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I know it's early but I've a bit surprised that Tony Brown has been lining up with the 2's.
He's been with the 1's everyday. The staff has moved the young guys around to give them some reps. From BOL's practice report today:

Toward the end of the viewing periods, two corners and two safeties lined up in what appeared to be the team's base package on defense. Those players were Brown and Cyrus Jones at corner and Geno Smith and Eddie Jackson at safety.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
oward the end of the viewing periods, two corners and two safeties lined up in what appeared to be the team's base package on defense. Those players were Brown and Cyrus Jones at corner and Geno Smith and Eddie Jackson at safety.
I like the sound of those four working together.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I like the sound of those four working together.
I'm hoping Jackson and Smith can tackle well enough as box safeties but the reality is that we're not going to be playing 34 defense with an 8th man in the box all too often. The increased speed at safety should help with some of the deficiencies against covering the deep ball the last few years...plus safety v. slot won't be such a mismatch against spread passing looks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.