Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

O.J. Howard appreciates fans wanting him to have bigger role, but admits he needs to improve

There are few things Alabama fans enjoy discussing more than why O.J. Howard should get more touches.

After showing flashes of brilliance as a true freshman, it was a recurring theme last year that the 6-foot-6, 242-pound tight end wasn't targeted enough. He finished the season with 17 catches for 260 yards and zero touchdowns, leading fans to practically beg offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin to utilize him more often.

Howard heard the talk about why he should get the ball more frequently. He appreciates the sentiment but admits there's more that goes into it than what fans see on Saturday afternoons.

"It's good that they know I'm a football player and know who I am," Howard said, "but at the same time, they don't see everything that goes on here in practice. There are some things I have to do to get the ball myself, like running routes a little better and gaining trust. Sometimes it's cool that they notice that, but there are other things that they can't see in practice that I work on."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I like the sound of those four working together.
I've seen and/or heard some folks talk about having the safeties with some CB experience should help the defense against the spread teams because of the versatility and the ability to play either position if needed depending on the offense's formation.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Speed at safety is nice, but I'd rather have instincts and that God given ability to just be near the football. We've had guys in the past with amazing football IQ at safety who weren't exactly physical freaks. I'm hoping some of these physical freaks can develop that knack for being around the football this year and stop some of that deep ball nonsense from last year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Speed at safety is nice, but I'd rather have instincts and that God given ability to just be near the football. We've had guys in the past with amazing football IQ at safety who weren't exactly physical freaks. I'm hoping some of these physical freaks can develop that knack for being around the football this year and stop some of that deep ball nonsense from last year.
IMO, we have had none better in the CNS tenure than Robert Lester. IIRC, he kinda came in on the Julio Jones breeze from Foley, but he ended up being one of the best at ball-hawking I can remember in recent years.

It's a little politically incorrect, but every time he intercepted a pass I caught myself saying "Lester the Molester!":biggrin:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
IMO, we have had none better in the CNS tenure than Robert Lester. IIRC, he kinda came in on the Julio Jones breeze from Foley, but he ended up being one of the best at ball-hawking I can remember in recent years.

It's a little politically incorrect, but every time he intercepted a pass I caught myself saying "Lester the Molester!":biggrin:
I nominate Rashad Johnson and Mark Barron. Would love to have a Robert Lester this season, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jarran Reed lighter, more confident entering second season with Alabama

Leading up to plays, the same thoughts regularly went through Jarran Reed's mind early last season.

"You come in. You've got a lot of nerves. What if I do this wrong, do that wrong?," said Reed, a senior defensive lineman who joined Alabama last season after playing at East Mississippi Community College. "I know the plays now. Last year, it was more 'All right, I don't want to mess with this play and get chewed out by Coach.'"

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I always thought VS was overrated at Safety. I wouldn't list him in the same level as Barron or Lester.
I don't disagree... but the original comment was made about being "around the ball". Sunseri was the first player I thought of. For pure safety play, give me Clinton-Dix.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
I don't disagree... but the original comment was made about being "around the ball". Sunseri was the first player I thought of. For pure safety play, give me Clinton-Dix.
Couldn't agree more. VS was sorely missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
I agree. I'll never forget his Pix Six vs Johnny Football and A&M that put us up by 3 scores to start the second half. BAM! I went nuts
What is the real scoop on why VS declared. He was coming off an injury and usually that is a reason not to move on. Was it something about his dad moving on as well?

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
Agreed. Vinnie was a very good saftey, made plays and was physical. That is why he is getting a paycheck playing safety now.
But but he was only a three star and slow ... how could that happen?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.