Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I've seen and/or heard some folks talk about having the safeties with some CB experience should help the defense against the spread teams because of the versatility and the ability to play either position if needed depending on the offense's formation.

I like that thinkin'...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I always thought VS was overrated at Safety. I wouldn't list him in the same level as Barron or Lester.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I hear ya, brother...

As many great plays as VS made, and as much I luv the guy, I have too many recollections of the ball being caught n run in his area code...

SEC Championship Game against Georgia comes to mind...

Gotta luv Mark Barron...

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's early. And the scrimmage will tell us a lot more on Saturday. But from what I've been told during this first couple of days of practice, the veteran Coker looks not so good (wildly inconsistent) and the new guy (Barnett) has looked to be a game changer.

Again, it's early.

Remember when I said earlier in this thread that Jake would have every opportunity to win the job but he could blow it? Well.....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's early. And the scrimmage will tell us a lot more on Saturday. But from what I've been told during this first couple of days of practice, the veteran Coker looks not so good (wildly inconsistent) and the new guy (Barnett) has looked to be a game changer.

Again, it's early.

Remember when I said earlier in this thread that Jake would have every opportunity to win the job but he could blow it? Well.....
Coker ought to be running away with this, but these reports just make me think he might not have the "it" factor that all good/great qbs have.

If Barnett comes on in the scrimmages and makes a splash this could get interesting!!!

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Cornwell was the guy being talked about that was really pushing Coker...anyone have an idea how he's looked so far? Since I haven't heard much about him I assume sort of been middle of the road up to this point.... At this point I'm starting to think with the qb play I'm expecting that the oline will to be great not just good for us to make a run this year. We shall see....

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Cornwell was the guy being talked about that was really pushing Coker...anyone have an idea how he's looked so far? Since I haven't heard much about him I assume sort of been middle of the road up to this point.... At this point I'm starting to think with the qb play I'm expecting that the oline will to be great not just good for us to make a run this year. We shall see....
Nothing really good or bad on him. What a lot of people don't realize about Cornwell is that he is very similar to Coker. Both are supremely talented but lack consistency at times. DC is still young though so it's more understandable.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I hear ya, brother...

As many great plays as VS made, and as much I luv the guy, I have too many recollections of the ball being caught n run in his area code...

SEC Championship Game against Georgia comes to mind...

Gotta luv Mark Barron...
VS was great when he was facing the QB and could read his eyes. He had a tremendous ability to anticipate where the ball would be and then jump on it.

If he had to single cover a guy running vertically...I always cringed at those.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I always thought VS was overrated at Safety. I wouldn't list him in the same level as Barron or Lester.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
well, look at it this way. There are 32 NFL teams. Assume each one keeps 4 safeties on their active roster. That means there are 128 active NFL Safeties - TOTAL. So while VS might not be as good as Barron, he's still really, really good since he's in that 128. We've just been really spoiled with exceptional safeties the last few years. Almost every S that has started for Saban has made an active NFL roster. That's a pretty high bar...

The first part of his junior year when we was truly playing S before he got hurt, he was playing really well back there. Lot's of the memories of him not being stellar in coverage were from when he was playing Star in the nickel package. That's a really hard position to play now with all the spread offenses. Put a CB type in there, and offense is going to keep running right at them, put a S type in there, and you're more exposed in the short/quick passing game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

At first surprised by move, Eddie Jackson 'coming along well' at safety

The move was made during the spring, one that initially surprised Eddie Jackson.

After starting four games at cornerback as a freshman and 10 of the 11 games he played in last year, Alabama's junior defensive back entered the spring as, once again, one of the top contenders for a starting cornerback job.

Then came a talk with coach Nick Saban, who told Jackson safety may be a better fit for him. While the move began as an experiment, the Florida native has done well enough at safety that he has not moved back to cornerback and has consistently practiced as the Tide's first-team strong safety dating back to April.

"It was kind of a surprise, but I put my trust in coach Saban," Jackson said, later adding, "Just doing what I have to do for the team. If they need me at safety, I'm going to play safety. If they need me at linebacker, I'll play linebacker. Wherever they need me at and I can help the team."

asteele327

Jun 18, 2015
Is it safe to say that we're down to a 3-man race at QB? Haven't heard much of anything about Bateman or Morris this fall. With Barnett making a splash it sounds like the focus is starting to narrow down to him, Coker, and Cornwell.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Live video of Saban's press conference

Live updates from the press conference

Saban: We've certainly made some good progress since we started a week ago.
Saban: Chris Black and Marlon Humphrey are still day to day. Anfernee Jennings didn't pass physical, he's here for rehab purposes.
Saban says 8 of the explosive plays given up by Alabama last year came on QB scrambles.
Saban: ArDarius Stewart is doing a nice job. He's making plays every day. Probably our most consistent receiver.
Saban has talked about having defensive players more specialized: "We have to get more players that can get the job done every down."
Saban: Jonathan Allen's versatility makes him a pretty special guy for us.
Saban: We want more players to play like Jonathan Allen, who plays with tremendous discipline.
Saban: Minkah Fitzpatrick has done a really really good job. He's a guy that could make a contribution this year. Ronnie Harrison too.
Saban on freshman CB Minkah Fitzpatrick: He's very instinctive and learns very quickly. If he keeps progressing, he'll contribute this year.
Saban won't go as far as Kiffin on Calvin Ridley: I won't put that kind of expectation on any young player. Said he's shown a lot of ability
Saban: We have given all QBs a chance. We have to make a determination before the scrimmage about how many reps each player gets.

Last edited:

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
You are being absurd. He's posting updates from practice, he doesn't have some hidden agenda. Most of us have been starved for info since January and appreciate the updates. Intelligent fans understand practice observations from fan day don't decide who the starting qb will be.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Yeah... not what I was getting at.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Is it safe to say that we're down to a 3-man race at QB? Haven't heard much of anything about Bateman or Morris this fall. With Barnett making a splash it sounds like the focus is starting to narrow down to him, Coker, and Cornwell.
Morris is definitely still in it. Bateman is probably on the outside looking in.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
You are being absurd. He's posting updates from practice, he doesn't have some hidden agenda. Most of us have been starved for info since January and appreciate the updates. Intelligent fans understand practice observations from fan day don't decide who the starting qb will be.

Intelligent fans aren't obsessed with every play in every practice. They let the coaches do the coaching and evaluate who the best talent is, who the hard workers are, and who the leaders are on the team, and who should play on game day.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Stewart showed a lot of upside the second half of the season last year. I think he'll have a productive season. He's one of those players who can line up all over the field.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Intelligent fans aren't obsessed with every play in every practice. They let the coaches do the coaching and evaluate who the best talent is, who the hard workers are, and who the leaders are on the team, and who should play on game day.
I guess you're suggesting I'm not one? I don't see what's wrong with discussing a practice report. It doesn't mean I want to be the coach, I don't trust the coaches, or expect starters to be named. I'm 100% sure they'll pick the best player and I'll be behind him. It's a discussion board about fall practice.

On topic I really like what I'm hearing about Fitzpatrick. The more quality cbs we have the better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.