Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
All this stuff reminds me of an article I've seen about the Apple Event for their new phone: "READING THE APPLE EVENT TEA LEAVES WITH ACTUAL WITCHES."

We've all truly jumped the shark on trying to predict this stuff. Hah.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Per Barnett: Don't know where the info came from that he would not redshirt, but I assumed this was something he was told recently from the coaching staff.

You don't tell a guy he's not going to redshirt him to let him run out the clock at the end of blowouts. Sounds like the staff has a plan to use him in some meaningful way.

Just watching Colin Kaepernick on the NFL channel and I'm thinking BB is a perhaps a younger, slightly skinnier version.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's no Tim Tebow...I don't see what his value to the offense would be besides being just a quarterback. He's got some wheels judging by his metrics out of high school but we're not talking about a guy who can just "have a role" a la Tebow to Leak.

I think we'd be in trouble if we're having to specialize the passing component of the QB position...and I don't believe that to be the case. I tend to believe the "he won't redshirt" talk is similar to AJ McCarron's 2009 season: the staff will let him know that if things go bad then he is their contingency, he won't play unless things do go sideways with injuries or poor performance. I still believe that it is Coker's job with Alec Morris being the first option off the bench and Alec is a much better second option than Star Jackson in 2009.

Blake Barnett ain't playing as a true freshman unless things go bad, basically, because I just don't "get" where his role would be in the offense in addition to another QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
RGW: I agree...he's no Tim Tebow. He was a bull in a china shop.

I'd speculate if BB is used it would be more in the role of Blake Sims...read option and getting him in space. Lot's of quick screens (BB has a quick release much like Sims as opposed to Coker's slow relase). When he's outside the pocket he's a great passer on the run.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He's no Tim Tebow...I don't see what his value to the offense would be besides being just a quarterback. He's got some wheels judging by his metrics out of high school but we're not talking about a guy who can just "have a role" a la Tebow to Leak.

I think we'd be in trouble if we're having to specialize the passing component of the QB position...and I don't believe that to be the case. I tend to believe the "he won't redshirt" talk is similar to AJ McCarron's 2009 season: the staff will let him know that if things go bad then he is their contingency, he won't play unless things do go sideways with injuries or poor performance. I still believe that it is Coker's job with Alec Morris being the first option off the bench and Alec is a much better second option than Star Jackson in 2009.

Blake Barnett ain't playing as a true freshman unless things go bad, basically, because I just don't "get" where his role would be in the offense in addition to another QB.
I agree. BB's speed as a runner is more straight line speed vs lateral speed. He would do just fine scrambling to extend a play to pass the ball but I'm not sure he would be real effective running a read option package or wildcat package. Just not enough power to run between the tackles and to much of a long strider to make people miss in the backfield..

*I am in no way, shape or form an insider and have never claimed to be.*

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
RGW: I agree...he's no Tim Tebow. He was a bull in a china shop.

I'd speculate if BB is used it would be more in the role of Blake Sims...read option and getting him in space. Lot's of quick screens (BB has a quick release much like Sims as opposed to Coker's slow relase). When he's outside the pocket he's a great passer on the run.
If we have a QB who can't throw quick screens, he's probably not going to be the QB for long...and you're not going to waste a year of eligibility for a guy to run a few zone read options and throw screens. Tebow as just a runner was a game changer for 2006 Florida because it gave them a power football option they simply did not get with their true tailbacks. A QB who's athleticism is good enough to be a change up or gotcha on the defense for over-pursuing the handoff is not enough of a reason to use a year of eligibility unless the guy is your starter.

I'm glad they are keeping Barnett engaged and they already have a degree of confidence in him but I still believe he's just an emergency option with intentions to play Coker then start Barnett in 2016.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If we have a QB who can't throw quick screens, he's probably not going to be the QB for long...and you're not going to waste a year of eligibility for a guy to run a few zone read options and throw screens. Tebow as just a runner was a game changer for 2006 Florida because it gave them a power football option they simply did not get with their true tailbacks. A QB who's athleticism is good enough to be a change up or gotcha on the defense for over-pursuing the handoff is not enough of a reason to use a year of eligibility unless the guy is your starter.

I'm glad they are keeping Barnett engaged and they already have a degree of confidence in him but I still believe he's just an emergency option with intentions to play Coker then start Barnett in 2016.
You may be looking at it wrong. It's not about wasting a years eligibility if he's the future and can contribute in a unique way.

Which way? I'm not sure.

Will he? I'm not sure either.

But I know we won't burn his shirt for mop up duty.

I'm not predicting he'll play, but I'm just going off the info a few days ago that he won't redshirt.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Its a waste if he's not starter quality and not Tim Tebow. ;D

I think we're on the same page though, I'm just bloviating more.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Do they have to designate him as redshirt before the season starts or can they do it at the end of the season if he hasn't played?

*I am in no way, shape or form an insider and have never claimed to be.*

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It should be noted this idea of BB not redshirting came a few days ago before Coker's proverbial "light" came on.

If Coker can effectively run the show, I don't envision a two (or three) qb system....but again, we shall see.

captain obvious

Apr 1, 2015
I feel like they shouldn't redshirt him and let him play as much as possible.If he is talented as everbody says,he will only be on campus 3 years anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
QB is a rhythm position. I feel like it would take an experienced QB and a unique talent to exploit with the younger guy to make it work.

I don't think switching QBs around when we don't even have an established starter is a recipe for success.

captain obvious

Apr 1, 2015
QB is a rhythm position. I feel like it would take an experienced QB and a unique talent to exploit with the younger guy to make it work.

I don't think switching QBs around when we don't even have an established starter is a recipe for success.
I'm not saying they should rotate them,I would put him 2nd string and play him as much as possible in mopup duty.I just feel when you have a talent like him,he's not going to be here his SR year anyway

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not saying they should rotate them,I would put him 2nd string and play him as much as possible in mopup duty.I just feel when you have a talent like him,he's not going to be here his SR year anyway
We've heard that said a few times about a few people. Sometimes it is correct, sometimes it isn't but Jacob Coker needed 5 years, and yet many people have said he's an NFL talent. AJ used his 5 years... Mitch Mustain, he didn't redshirt. He never even got a spend a full season as a starter, despite getting starts as a true freshman. There's a lot of reasons not to play a guy as a true freshman, but the primary one is that he might need the eligibility. Quarterback is different from other positions, both in terms of development required and the fact that the backup plays a far, far less significant role.

The only good reason to play Blake Barnett as a true freshman is if he can help the team win, now. That's it. Alabama has done fine preparing guys for their first year as a starter, even with limited experience. Blake won't gain much experience unless he's a significant contributor.

Oh by the way, one guy who many people were labeling a three and done guy was Chris Black. He was ahead of Amari, people thought that Alabama should go ahead and play him as a true freshman if he was healthy, because he was only going to be around for three years anyway. Well, this is his fourth year with the team, and he's still waiting for his breakout season. He might end up needing more than his fourth year, good thing he redshirted huh?

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Look at the picture of today's practice. Blake was with the first team OL.

Mack has told us Coker is the guy at QB. Seeing BB with the first team OL, seems like we can expect him to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Al.com and BOL practice reports said he was there as 'scout' team QB while line working on specific blocking schemes based on what Wiscy does.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, you have to be a special talent to play as a true freshman at QB and be successful. Unless the QB has significant ability as a runner, it doesn't make sense to use him at all in my opinion. The only logic for playing Barnett at all in 2015 is to start Barnett...and I don't think we're starting him unless things go poorly with the other QBs.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Yep, you have to be a special talent to play as a true freshman at QB and be successful. Unless the QB has significant ability as a runner, it doesn't make sense to use him at all in my opinion. The only logic for playing Barnett at all in 2015 is to start Barnett...and I don't think we're starting him unless things go poorly with the other QBs.
I agree 100% with this viewpoint.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.