Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I've read rumors and speculation about several other players also. All of those rumors seem to be unfounded. Not sure who is starting the rumors but I wouldn't get to worked up about it. Saban's press conference tomorrow should clear the air on all of them..
I can't imagine whose fan base would start rumors like this.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Fowler didn't link an article to his post so he wasn't fishing for clicks. Twitter followers are not monetized in any way currently (unless you're somebody like Lebron James with 23 million followers) so there's not really a reason to put out false information or click bait to get followers. I'm not saying he always puts out 100% accurate information but I don't think he puts out click bait information either. I think he's like everyone else in the media - he trusts his sources and his own opinions but sometimes either or both of those information outlets can be wrong..

"LIKE"

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Fowler didn't link an article to his post so he wasn't fishing for clicks. Twitter followers are not monetized in any way currently (unless you're somebody like Lebron James with 23 million followers) so there's not really a reason to put out false information or click bait to get followers. I'm not saying he always puts out 100% accurate information but I don't think he puts out click bait information either. I think he's like everyone else in the media - he trusts his sources and his own opinions but sometimes either or both of those information outlets can be wrong..
No, he just has a radio show moves to the 2 - 6 PM time slot tomorrow. He uses his twitter account for exposure just like everybody else in the media does. I'd imagine that will be a big topic of discussion tomorrow.

My point is still the same. He really didn't say anything except basically "I heard what happened and I have details, but because of UA policy, I am not saying what it was."

Matt Scalici actually at least seemed to make an attempt to answer the question and used his Rashaan's Dad as his source of info.

Who knows how it will turn, because honestly it wouldn't be a shock to me either way.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Direct monetization from twitter? No, but follows leads to more views which leads to opportunities to get people clicking on things you do derive value from.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No, he just has a radio show moves to the 2 - 6 PM time slot tomorrow. He uses his twitter account for exposure just like everybody else in the media does. I'd imagine that will be a big topic of discussion tomorrow.

My point is still the same. He really didn't say anything except basically "I heard what happened and I have details, but because of UA policy, I am not saying what it was."

Matt Scalici actually at least seemed to make an attempt to answer the question and used his Rashaan's Dad as his source of info.

Who knows how it will turn, because honestly it wouldn't be a shock to me either way.
I understand the cross promotion angle you're talking about with his radio show but I think it's a pretty big stretch to think Fowler is dangling injury information on twitter to get views on his radio show. Most of his tweets have not been re-tweeted or favorited at all, or if they have less than 10 times. He was asked on twitter by somebody if he had any information about the injury and he responded that he heard what happened and had details but that's all he could say right now due to UA policy. What is he supposed to say?

As far as Matt Scalici calling Rashaan's dad, that's good journalism and quite frankly that's what Fowler should have done. However, not all media members have the same relationships and sources. Maybe Fowler doesn't have the type of relationship, or any at all, with Rashaan's dad..

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I understand the cross promotion angle you're talking about with his radio show but I think it's a pretty big stretch to think Fowler is dangling injury information on twitter to get views on his radio show. Most of his tweets have not been re-tweeted or favorited at all, or if they have less than 10 times. He was asked on twitter by somebody if he had any information about the injury and he responded that he heard what happened and had details but that's all he could say right now due to UA policy. What is he supposed to say? As far as Matt Scalici calling Rashaan's dad, that's good journalism and quite frankly that's what Fowler should have done.
That was exactly my point. You have to admit that he left it sounding pretty ominous, to the point that several guys on his twitter page were talking about it being season ending when he said what he said. Somebody asked him directly "What did you hear?" and his response "Will tell you tomorrow after Nick Saban talks at his Monday press conference." Like I said, he didn't give an answer either way, yet it was brought here and presumed be was a bad injury.

I'm not trying to be argumentative with you at all but you almost always seem to have a problem with information that is posted to TideFans that was obtained through Twitter. Not sure why that is..
I have no interest in being argumentative with you either. I am a member of Twitter, and have been since the beginning. I know where a whole lot of the stuff I see posted on here comes from because I have already seen it myself. I have no problem with legitimate info posted from Twitter (or anywhere else), but it seems that over the last few years we get 3 or 4 different stories posted before the real story comes out. Everybody either gets all worked up or excited over a rumor that was never true.

You made a mention of how things had changed over the last few years earlier in this thread, and you said you didn't like it. A lot of that push back comes from those of us have that been a long time that remember when rumors weren't allowed here. Things like this, the Cornwell thread, etc., weren't allowed to rock on and on with different versions of the rumors that were coming from twitter, other boards, etc. Stuff like that used to be either squashed by the moderators, or you had a have a link from a legitimate media source to post it. I am member of several different Alabama boards, and I've seen crap posted on a lot of them from the beginning. I used to be able to come here and find out the truth. If it was here, it was going to be true 99% of the time. If it wasn't here, it either wasn't true or it hadn't been confirmed. I would rather wait on REAL INFORMATION than weed through rumors from Twitter or the Bama Board posted 2 minutes after they were posted there.

That's my issue with it, and a lot of other guys seem to feel the same way. You seem to be taking this personal, but my problem is not with you personally. I just hate how relying on the often incorrect but instant social media scoops has changed this board. That started changing around here (and in other places) before you started posting here, so I'm not blaming you for by any means.

The bottom line is that I miss this place being the source for reliable information that it once was.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'm not sure social media would change at all if that happened.
Facebook posts
"Just killed my 7th zombie. I am the king of zombie slayers lol" (has a self with dead zombie)

"just got bit by a zombie. I think I am immune"

:ksjdfhasdkl mmmmmmmmmmmm www gaaaaa braaaaaaaaaaaaainssssssss"

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Matt Scalici used to work for Rivals and has a lot of experience in the recruiting world. I suspect that has helped him form relationships with people who are potential sources for information. It also makes it easier for him to track people down.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
@%%1;
Again, the first team OL wouldn't be working on Wisconsin's blocking schemes. That's the point of the scout team OL, is it not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read it to be 1st team OL working on what they'd see from Wisconsin front 7, on D, not our D working on how Wisc Oline would be blocking. Regardless, I guess we are going to have to wait to see which of the 5 starts Saturday night.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Also worth noting Scalici sent that tweet out after the MRI results started making the rounds. Fowler's tweet was prior to the MRI when anyone discussing it said he was really injured.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.