Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
When I had it, the bottle trick and the boot to keep it stretched while I was asleep are about the only things that kept me on my feet. Eventually, a doctor prescribed Celebrex (which I think has been taken off the market) and it went away. I was hurting for close to a year and missed a whole season of softball. I can't imagine trying to play football on it.
i used one of those splints a bit the first time i got it and hated it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Could be too that whatever Coker's foot problem is, was hampering his progression? If it was a deal where there was substantial pain on his plant foot when throwing or something...that sort of thing could have been holding him back, possibly? Just a thought...
I'm no expert, but it looked to me all fall that Coker was not planting his feet in the turf to throw. Wonder if the foot is why. Of course sometimes improper mechanics leads to injury, so which came first?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
i used one of those splints a bit the first time i got it and hated it.
They're hard to sleep in, but if I didn't use it to stretch the fascia on the bottom of my foot while I slept, the pain of standing in the morning was excruciating.

Bama_M.D.

Suspended
Aug 30, 2014
This is turning into the PF thread where did PF come from? haha. A minor procedure on the foot and PF are worlds apart. I would think something like ingrown nail. Hope the best for the kid.

I remember morris showing some good signs in the spring game 2 years ago iirc. I was thinking then he may replace AJ after he was done but I guess he didn't pan out for whatever reason. Watching coker last year against florida I felt he did well in that game that was still close when he took us in for that TD before we pulled away. That has got to be worth something. I'm sure whoever pulls out in front will do great behind what is being reported as another great saban D

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Could be too that whatever Coker's foot problem is, was hampering his progression? If it was a deal where there was substantial pain on his plant foot when throwing or something...that sort of thing could have been holding him back, possibly? Just a thought...
I'm not inclined to believe that. From what we've seen from hm, he just hasn't progressed (not much anyway). He's pretty much a finished product?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well, it`s beginning to look more and more like we may live and die with the running game. If that`s true, I hope the O line`s up to it. They`ll need more of a mean streak that we haven`t seen since `12, IMHO.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
This is turning into the PF thread where did PF come from? haha. A minor procedure on the foot and PF are worlds apart. I would think something like ingrown nail. Hope the best for the kid.

I remember morris showing some good signs in the spring game 2 years ago iirc. I was thinking then he may replace AJ after he was done but I guess he didn't pan out for whatever reason. Watching coker last year against florida I felt he did well in that game that was still close when he took us in for that TD before we pulled away. That has got to be worth something. I'm sure whoever pulls out in front will do great behind what is being reported as another great saban D
You are right. Probably, an ingrown nail or a Plantar wart removed.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Not to change the subject , but something I think contributes to the QB situation right now is QB's not having any game experience.
Handing off a couple of times with a minute and a half to go doesn't help develop anybody.
In the games you KNOW you're going to win, let the backup(s) run a series or two in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.
Yeah I know you can't do it every game but there are many times during the year where you could do it. Even in some conference games.
I know like this year and last year you have an inexperienced QB that needs all the reps he can get but a few series during the year isn't going to make or break the starters development.

Most college coaches have the NFL mentality of playing the starter the whole game but I think it could help make the situation we have now at QB (or other positions) easier to figure out because they have 6-8 series of meaningful game experience to draw on.

I did stay at a Days Inn a few days ago. :biggrin2:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Call me naive, but I just don't believe that will be the case with Kiffin as OC. I can't imagine a scenario where the passing game won't be a big part of the offense, no matter who is starting at QB.
From what Coach Saban said after the scrimmage we may be more run heavy this year. He said something to the effect the QB does not need to be a star with "this" team. Seems he is very confident in his D and our OL and RB's so I think we will see a shift in strategy.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Not to change the subject , but something I think contributes to the QB situation right now is QB's not having any game experience.
Handing off a couple of times with a minute and a half to go doesn't help develop anybody.
In the games you KNOW you're going to win, let the backup(s) run a series or two in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.
Yeah I know you can't do it every game but there are many times during the year where you could do it. Even in some conference games.
I know like this year and last year you have an inexperienced QB that needs all the reps he can get but a few series during the year isn't going to make or break the starters development.

Most college coaches have the NFL mentality of playing the starter the whole game but I think it could help make the situation we have now at QB (or other positions) easier to figure out because they have 6-8 series of meaningful game experience to draw on.

I did stay at a Days Inn a few days ago. :biggrin2:

I agree with your thought...but I imagine there is a fine line between getting the back-up meaningful reps and making sure the starter has plenty of reps, and far be it from me to guess where that divide is--just seems to me that the staff wants to err on the side of plenty of reps for the starter...and, since no one has offered me $7M for my thoughts, I just pretty much keep quiet until game day, and then scare the dogs for 3 or so hours...although the 11 year old just seems annoyed when the yelling wakes her up...:biggrin:

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Well, it`s beginning to look more and more like we may live and die with the running game. If that`s true, I hope the O line`s up to it. They`ll need more of a mean streak that we haven`t seen since `12, IMHO.
I think we're going to be more happy with the OL this year. The past two seasons lacked a certain sense of dominance. Not sure if Saban ever really felt comfortable with the group. His comments regarding the need of a game managing QB speaks volumes for his confidence in the D and running game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
SEC Defenses have become focused on stopping the spread. Their personnel reflects that. It would actually be a good strategy to have a ground/pound approach. Problem for us, is that we don't have those type RBs this year. Henry is more effective on the edge....plus Fowler is gone.....

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
SEC Defenses have become focused on stopping the spread. Their personnel reflects that. It would actually be a good strategy to have a ground/pound approach. Problem for us, is that we don't have those type RBs this year. Henry is more effective on the edge....plus Fowler is gone.....
Good points. Wonder if Harris can run inside? I just hope that whomever is finally settled upon as the QB, they at least will be able to keep the D`s from consistently loading the box.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
If the holes are big enough...anyone can run up the middle. Our bigs up front should be able to give the RBs some daylight and the QB a little bit of time to throw the ball this year. What will be interesting to see is how CLK decides to use QB movement this season. He had BS rolling out quite a bit and I know Coker was doing it as well. Where your QB is in the backfield greatly determines how you have your OL blocking up front. You may have the best OL in the nation, but if the QB runs away from the protection, your blocking is no good.

The best thing we have going for us right now is that we have great talent at QB, we just need to harness and focus it towards making plays that get us down the field. It wasn't too long ago that we were struggling to just put an 11th man out on the field (2004).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.