Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't see a thread about fall practice starting up.

When does it start?

What are going to be the big stories?

I'm ready for some real football news/videos (even if they are only 3-4 minutes of media viewing!).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Fall Practice News

Moved it up a day this year, so practice starts tomorrow instead of Friday.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

If practices are normally closed is CNS going to hire some good old boys with shotguns to keep the drones out? :biggrin2:

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

If practices are normally closed is CNS going to hire some good old boys with shotguns to keep the drones out? :biggrin2:
Never really considered this before. I wonder if that will start to be a real concern for coaches.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

I suspect he'll tease the "Droners" with just enough to peak their interest then move indoors for the finer details.

Then the Engineering department will enable their drone disabling laser ray and take 'em out. :wink:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Things I'm looking for at tomorrow's practice.
- Who's gonna back up Robinson at Left Tackle. Will Cotton get some looks there ?
-OL Depth... how it looks beyond the starter...
- Where will we see Freshman practicing with? first team? Second team? Ridley, Fritzpatrick, and Harrison most likely getting some serious looks...
- Foster or Hamilton beside Ragland?
-who's going to be no. 3 and no. 4 running back on depth?
-Scarbough practicing with the team?
-WIll G. Hill take medical redshirt, or will he be practicing with the team?
-How much Herny have improved?
-How will Drake looks in Pad going 100 percent?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

- Who's gonna back up Robinson at Left Tackle. Will Cotton get some looks there ?
- Where will we see Freshman practicing with? first team? Second team? Ridley, Fritzpatrick, and Harrison most likely getting some serious looks...
You expect to see all of that in the first day of practice? Might want to lower your expectations some (quiet a bit). :wink:

In years past, Saban has had a separate practice for returning players in the morning with the newcomers at night. Not sure if that is still the case this year, though.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

RTR, probably not... LOL... I hope to see something at leaset. Ive heard they're not spilitting up the practice tomorrow, so You think they're trying something new?

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

You expect to see all of that in the first day of practice? Might want to lower your expectations some (quiet a bit). :wink:

In years past, Saban has had a separate practice for returning players in the morning with the newcomers at night. Not sure if that is still the case this year, though.

I heard that a release went out yesterday indicating that instead of tomorrow's previously scheduled 2 practices, there will only be 1....

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO

FWIW, there is a video that exists about UCLA using a DJI quadcopter to record video of their own practices for review.

I'll venture that there's no way a video exists of another program doing something and CNS hasn't at least considered it.

Update: that video used to be public, but now seems to be private. Hmmmmmmm....

http://www.dji.com/showcase/16449

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

IF Bo Scarbough is going close to full speed tomorrow that'll be awesome news!!!

Of course, we're all waiting to see if a pecking order develops anytime soon at QB!

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010

FWIW, there is a video that exists about UCLA using a DJI quadcopter to record video of their own practices for review.

I'll venture that there's no way a video exists of another program doing something and CNS hasn't at least considered it.

Update: that video used to be public, but now seems to be private. Hmmmmmmm....

http://www.dji.com/showcase/16449
I own a couple of drones (and sometimes acquire footage on a professional basis).

Using a consumer drone for "spy" purposes would be problematic. Today's drones are fairly noisy and not terribly discrete. Most are equipped with wide angle lenses of a fixed (non zoomable) focal length that's great for landscapes, not so great for fine details. Finally, battery life is an issue - my drones can't fly for more than 25 minutes on a charge.

With that said, some useful info could certainly be gleaned from 4k drone footage. And of course, this is a new tech field and it will only continue to improve. 5 or 10 years from now, "drone spying" may be a major concern.

I do think that in the current environment (drones, smartphones, social media, etc.) it would be nearly impossible for a coach to pull off what Coach Bryant did in 1973, when he unveiled the wishbone offense as a complete surprise against USC.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I own a couple of drones (and sometimes acquire footage on a professional basis).

Using a consumer drone for "spy" purposes would be problematic. Today's drones are fairly noisy and not terribly discrete. Most are equipped with wide angle lenses of a fixed (non zoomable) focal length that's great for landscapes, not so great for fine details. Finally, battery life is an issue - my drones can't fly for more than 25 minutes on a charge.

With that said, some useful info could certainly be gleaned from 4k drone footage. And of course, this is a new tech field and it will only continue to improve. 5 or 10 years from now, "drone spying" may be a major concern.

I do think that in the current environment (drones, smartphones, social media, etc.) it would be nearly impossible for a coach to pull off what Coach Bryant did in 1973, when he unveiled the wishbone offense as a complete surprise against USC.
A 12 gauge with bird shot should do the trick.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.