Fall Practice Updates (Practice reports, Interviews, and Scrimmage Notes)

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Go back and look at Blake Barnett's high school highlights. He has some serious wheels. I agree that he may not have the elusiveness or cutting ability as Sims, but he has the ability to extend plays and burn defenses with his speed. Oregon wanted him for a good reason. I know that some worry that he is too light right now, but Johnny Football was 5'11.75 and 190 as a freshman coming out of high school. Barnett is now 6-foot-5 Barnett is up to 208 pounds.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
the thing is all the new age reporters are trying to be like Finebaum and Bayless, but they miss why those two are really successful. While both are controversial and like to stir the pot, they are actually for the most part fair and have relevant facts to back up their claims. I know you can ask about "Tebowmainia" being anything relevant on bayless's part, but how many times is he right compared to most reporters. I think the mass hatred for Bayless comes from his attacks on Lebron, his mancrush on Brady, and his view on the SEC. But in most of his arguments he brings up stuff that most overlook that really is relevant. Galloway and Kannell try to play the bad guy role like Finebaum and Bayless do, but they beat the same point over and over and dont provide relevance to the argument.
I'm not a Skip Bayless hater but I recall that he picked against Alabama in every national championship game, he picked Texas, LSU, and Notre Dame. Guess that kind of fits his modus operandi..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Go back and look at Blake Barnett's high school highlights. He has some serious wheels. I agree that he may not have the elusiveness or cutting ability as Sims, but he has the ability to extend plays and burn defenses with his speed. Oregon wanted him for a good reason. I know that some worry that he is too light right now, but Johnny Football was 5'11.75 and 190 as a freshman coming out of high school.
And he redshirted his first year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not a Skip Bayless hater but I recall that he picked against Alabama in every national championship game, he picked Texas, LSU, and Notre Dame. Guess that kind of fits his modus operandi..

He picked Texas because he is a big 12 guy

He picked lsu because he had consistently doubted AJ. He was right on the 11/5 game, but was wrong on 1/9. Again he came back and said he was thoroughly amazed by aj redeeming himself. And congratulated him

The Norte dame pick was more of a joke kinda like his auburn 2013 pick.

College football isn't really his big thing, and him and Stephen A actually acknowledge that. Skip's big thing is nba and nfl. Watch some of his analysis on those two sports and it's a night and day's difference.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He picked Texas because he is a big 12 guy

He picked lsu because he had consistently doubted AJ. He was right on the 11/5 game, but was wrong on 1/9. Again he came back and said he was thoroughly amazed by aj redeeming himself. And congratulated him

The Norte dame pick was more of a joke kinda like his auburn 2013 pick.

College football isn't really his big thing, and him and Stephen A actually acknowledge that. Skip's big thing is nba and nfl. Watch some of his analysis on those two sports and it's a night and day's difference.
The Notre Dame pick wasn't a joke. He said that Everett Golson would make one more play than AJ and that Notre Dame was the team of destiny.

I've been watching that show since it used to be cold pizza (2007ish?)with Woody Paige and Skip Bayless where they only did a few segments during the show i.e. 1st down, 2nd down etc. It slowly morphed into the Skip Bayless show. Biggest problem with the show is there really isn't enough sports news to talk about for 4 hours everyday so they have to psycho-analyze sports stories that aren't even really worth talking about..

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
And he redshirted his first year.
We are talking about Barnett's running ability.The fact Manziel redshirted has nothing to do with Blake Barnett. Every QB is different. Did Manziel start at A&M early as Barnett? Did he know the offense well enough? I wasn't comparing Manziel's ability to Barnett's. I was using Manziel as an example that you don't have to be a hulking physical specimen to be a running QB. I doubt Manziel's work habits rises to Barnett's. Barnett is now 6-foot-5 and up to 208 pounds. He says he expects to play at 212-215. I don't believe he is as good as a runner as Sims, but the guy can run.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I disagree with your take on sims legs.
Blake barnett ran a faster 40 time as senior in H/s ( 4.51 at the sparq comp), then blake simms did in his Nfl combine tryouts 4.57. Have you seen barnetts highlight films where he consistently runs away from safeties and cb's, like dust in the wind?
Um, have you forgotten that Sims played RB and was a pretty decent one? I haven't seen anything on earth from BB's HS videos or what little we seen here which would hint that he had Sims' RB-type running ability. Matt Jones had blazing straight line speed, so they made him into an WR in the NFL. BB doesn't have RB elusiveness and vision, a la Manziel, and Sims is not a fair comparison for him...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I tend to see more Andrew Luck than Manziel or Sims in Barnett. Given his natural arm talent, the potential to grow into a pretty big guy (6-5, 220-30ish), good wheels for a pass-first QB, and his relative polish as a passer for a true freshman...I think that is the better fit for a comparison. Of course, Andrew Luck is competitive as heck and a quick learner/smart guy...those are the qualities you can't really project with Barnett right now. Luck redshirted too...and he wasn't at some talent-rich program either.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Notre Dame pick wasn't a joke. He said that Everett Golson would make one more play than AJ and that Notre Dame was the team of destiny.

I've been watching that show since it used to be cold pizza (2007ish?)with Woody Paige and Skip Bayless where they only did a few segments during the show i.e. 1st down, 2nd down etc. It slowly morphed into the Skip Bayless show. Biggest problem with the show is there really isn't enough sports news to talk about for 4 hours everyday so they have to psycho-analyze sports stories that aren't even really worth talking about..

Maybe he wasn't joking, I really can't remember because May vs holtz was a more entertaining confrontation in the nd vs bama matchup. But I do know skip in 12 and 13 often picked against bama just for the heck of it and really didn't put much into it to make you feel he was serious. The point I'm trying to make is that skip gives some odd predictions but it usually has some relevant facts, and if he is wrong he admits it and moves on. Galloway and kannel will keep at a point even when they are dead wrong and have little relevant facts to back it up.

As for first take as a whole... It's entertaining when they are talking nfl and nba, but it's not so good when they are talking about anything else. To each their own though

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I disagree with your take on sims legs.
Blake barnett ran a faster 40 time as senior in H/s ( 4.51 at the sparq comp), then blake simms did in his Nfl combine tryouts 4.57. Have you seen barnetts highlight films where he consistently runs away from safeties and cb's, like dust in the wind?
40 times in the nfl combine and high school are on a totally different scale. High school 40 times are nowhere near as accurate. Blake had some pretty good wheels. an NFL run in the 4.5's is pretty good wheels especially for a QB.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
40 times in the nfl combine and high school are on a totally different scale. High school 40 times are nowhere near as accurate. Blake had some pretty good wheels. an NFL run in the 4.5's is pretty good wheels especially for a QB.
Most of the time I'd agree, but he was clocked at the Nike Sparq combine which is using just as good of technology as anywhere else.

That said, Barnett is fast but not in a BS kind of way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Most of the time I'd agree, but he was clocked at the Nike Sparq combine which is using just as good of technology as anywhere else.

That said, Barnett is fast but not in a BS kind of way.

Blake was quick. Barnett may have the linear speed but Blake was quick to start and stop. I don't see Barnett being quick the way Blake was.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Blake was quick. Barnett may have the linear speed but Blake was quick to start and stop. I don't see Barnett being quick the way Blake was.
Sims was fast, quick and had uncanny ability to escape rushers (like trying to catch a rabbit). Sometimes it was as if he had eyes in the back of his head too.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Agree, don't think Barnett would've been able to make that run that Sims did against Texas am. Though I would love to be wrong on that.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

bfg3rd

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2005
Any word on Tony Brown? He went from getting first team reps to not being mentioned lately. Is the shoulder injury holding him back? Or have Fitzpatrick and Humphrey simply passed him?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agree, don't think Barnett would've been able to make that run that Sims did against Texas am. Though I would love to be wrong on that.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Barnett could've easily made that run. He just wouldn't have had to juke the second guy because he would have already been passed him. Barnett is a long strider and deceptively fast, kind of like Henry. Doesn't seem like he's running that fast but no one can catch him..

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
40 times are quite over used. As it's stated above, it doesn't capture your ability to cut and redirect, nor does it capture your ability to get up to top speed faster than a defensive player. Note how Manziel's 40 times weren't earth shattering, but we almost never caught him in the open field when we played A&M as he was so good at changing direction.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Any word on Tony Brown? He went from getting first team reps to not being mentioned lately. Is the shoulder injury holding him back? Or have Fitzpatrick and Humphrey simply passed him?
I think they've just been mixing reps for all the db's. Every time they mention a "base" defense he seems to be one of the CB's.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.