How Easy Is The Road For OSU?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Michigan State is the only legitimate team that has a shot to beat OSU IMO. I do not see Virginia Tech, Penn State or anyone else on that schedule that will beat them on paper. Unless OSU has a terrible game against someone, they will go into the playoff undefeated if they beat Ole Sparty.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Until we stop playing the likes of Charleston Southern (FCS team), Middle Tenn (Conference USA), and La-Monroe (Sunbelt), we don't need to not talk about anyone else's schedule. I know our conference schedule is tough but everyone in the SEC has a tough schedule.

Conference schedules are what they are but all teams can control their OOC schedule. I can understand the Middle Tenn & La-Monroe games but playing an FCS team is just ridiculous. Three glorified scrimmage games on the home schedule is just too much. Most SEC teams also schedule 3 games like this too. South Carolina is only team in SEC that is playing two power 5 conference teams in their OOC schedule (North Carolina and Clemson). Ole Miss, Miss St, and Missouri are the only teams not playing at least one power 5 team. Missouri does play BYU though.

I am with Coach Saban and want to go to 9 conference games per season. That still leaves Bama playing one big neutral site game to start the season and then you can have two other games against a mid-major conference team if you want them. I am for better scheduling across all of the 5 power conference teams. I think all fans want better games and better match-ups. As a season ticket holder, I hate having to pay for games like Charleston Southern, Western Carolina, etc.
We absolutely can talk about their cupcake schedule. And the high and mighty talking heads like Jack Aroot can keep preaching the guts it takes for the big10 to go to a 9 game conference schedule, but the fact is in that conference they are just adding another cupcake.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
In fairness the "talking heads" just play devils advocate with each other. It's really not much more than that. Controversy sells, plain & simple. If tOSU goes undefeated there will be plenty of people pointing out their SOS. And should it come down to tOSU vs Baylor or TCU then you can bet there will be a very strong anti tOSU media camp.

Sent via BlackBerry 10 on Tap-A-Talk
I agree. I'm more shocked that Blackberry's still exist......

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I like to look at it this way. What would Alabama's record be if it played OSU's schedule and what would OSU's record be if it played Alabama's schedule?
We'd probably still slip up and lose a game or two because the boredom of the OSU schedule would likely put our team to sleep for most of the season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like to look at it this way. What would Alabama's record be if it played OSU's schedule and what would OSU's record be if it played Alabama's schedule?
I think that our W/L records would be pretty close, assuming no injuries for either team. Where Alabama has a real edge is in depth. You guys probably have the deepest team in the history of college football (certainly in the scholarship limited era). So Alabama can withstand injury better than we can at OSU. But our starters are as good as any team will put on the field in 2015. But maybe that is your point - that we would have to rely on that weaker depth playing an SEC schedule.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We absolutely can talk about their cupcake schedule. And the high and mighty talking heads like Jack Aroot can keep preaching the guts it takes for the big10 to go to a 9 game conference schedule, but the fact is in that conference they are just adding another cupcake.
Yup, if anyone thinks playing Iowa State or something really proves anything, they're not paying attention.

I'd prefer to play a 10 game SEC schedule, and 2 games from Power 5 conferences. I hate the other games. No fun for the spectator.
The trick is you don't have to play the games, and with your statements you place yourself in the "entertainment fan" category. I care about championships, I care about the team, my interest as a fan does not lie in entertainment value. You clearly place entertainment value above all else, or else why would you call for a tougher schedule so (some) spectators can have more "fun"? As entertaining as that Auburn game in 2013 was for so many, I much preferred the 2012 one. There were a lot of empty seats for that 2012 game though, so logically one must conclude that there are plenty of fans that would prefer a close Alabama loss to an Alabama blowout in a victory, but it's hard for me to understand that type of fan, that's for sure. If I just want entertainment I can go watch a movie.

Let's not forget one pertinent part. These are still student athletes. There are still technically amateurs. They do not actually participate in athletics for our amusement. That might be easy enough to forget, but when they go on to the NFL, then they will be fully compensated professionals, being tasked with our entertainment. As it stands, technically, and in terms of compensation they are merely student athletes being rewarded by the university for their considerable skills. They don't owe me one bit of entertainment and in truth, they don't even owe me championships. However, if one had to choose between the two...
We'd probably still slip up and lose a game or two because the boredom of the OSU schedule would likely put our team to sleep for most of the season.
I don't think you grasp how Saban prepares the team. Alabama hasn't had a truly "bad" loss since 2007. Think about that, since 2007! A good coach doesn't let his team fall asleep for the easy games, Urban Meyer rarely lets his team do it, and Nick Saban well it pretty much never happens. It takes a good team to beat Nick Saban's Alabama teams, period.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Ohio State is in the playoffs with 1 loss anyway, if they're conference champs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.