Arian Foster goes public as a non-believer

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
According to the newspaper that day, you're incorrect:

Arian Foster caught a swing pass and headed toward the end zone. Alabama's Roman Harper jarred the ball loose near the goal line and it bounced out of the end zone with 5:08 left, giving the Tide
(7-0, 5-0) the ball and stopping Tennessee's hopes of breaking the tie.

But on the other hand:

Sometimes, it’s just your year. Instead of Corey Anderson setting the Vols up for a game-winning score, he fumbled out of the endzone.

I'd say from the looks of things, you are RIGHT. It appears ESPN above is wrong, ha ha!!!

The NYT story also says it was Anderson.

(I was so caught up in the emotions of the moment, I remember the play but honestly didn't recall who fumbled it. I didn't think it was Foster, though).
It was Corey Anderson.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Man, reading that, I can relate. I was there, and asked those questions. What is sad to me, knowing what it is like to ask those questions, is that when you choose to be a non-believer, people actually believe that now they have truly opened their mind. But actually, you may end up narrowing your focus immensely, regarding all things spiritual. Then you eventually go down some really dark paths internally, things you don't share with others. Because if there is no God, then there is no god, so there's no thought of afterlife, and intellectually, what then becomes your individual purpose, what hope is there? Been there, done that.

What's beautiful about it to me, having kept the door of my mind only slightly open, God loved me anyway. And He loves Arian too.
Well said. There is nothing wrong with asking "what if?" about things on God and Heaven, etc. I truly think that is just human nature. Your last sentence really says it all to anyone wondering "what if?" as well. I'm very happy to have had all my questions answered by God and to be saved. I just refuse to hate on anyone who doesn't believe in what I believe in, no matter how much I don't like it because I know I had some of the same questions in my mind before as well. I truly hope he finds God and God finds a way to reach him and any other person that needs help.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I would add that Ken Darby made a couple of real nice runs after the DJ Hall catch that often get overlooked. He made Christensen's field goal much easier.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Well said. There is nothing wrong with asking "what if?" about things on God and Heaven, etc. I truly think that is just human nature. Your last sentence really says it all to anyone wondering "what if?" as well. I'm very happy to have had all my questions answered by God and to be saved. I just refuse to hate on anyone who doesn't believe in what I believe in, no matter how much I don't like it because I know I had some of the same questions in my mind before as well. I truly hope he finds God and God finds a way to reach him and any other person that needs help.
Exactly, which is why I don't hate on folks on here. We may have "discussions" or disagreements, but I try to be as civil (though I can be passionate) because I know what that's like.

I look at it like this. When searching the spiritual, you can't test and verify it with the physical. When exploring the supernatural, you cannot explain it with the natural. These are things that I used to do, and failed every time. That was frustrating. But how can you describe the infinite, if you are finite in the physical realm? I know longer presume that I can figure God out. But I did find myself believing. It was actually freeing for me. God is no longer in a box to me.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's the only one I could find on YouTube. There used to be several different videos (one had Eli's call for all three plays), but I can't find those anymore.
Yeah, I was going to post it as well but didn't and went trying to look for a better one and by the time I came back to Tidefans you'd already posted it. Strange that you can't find anything better than this one. You're right - they used to be out there.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
No, that was not Arian Foster. That was the fullback, Cory Anderson who had caught a screen pass if I'm not mistaken. He was #45 and a good player for Tennessee. I don't remember Arian Foster doing much of anything against Alabama.
Thanks for correcting my mistake. As years go by and you get old(er), you don't seem to remember with 20/20 accuracy. However, Roman Harper did make a great, game saving play for Bama on that day. I just couldn't remember the Tenercee Vol guy who fumbled.

I will say that maybe Arian Foster needs to pray to Almighty God that he remain healthy because he has been great for the Texans when he is healthy. Maybe, Almighty God is trying to say something to him but he is toooooooooo hard headed to pay attention to any soft spoken word in his ear.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
It's the only one I could find on YouTube. There used to be several different videos (one had Eli's call for all three plays), but I can't find those anymore.
no worries just messing with you. So weird to see old footage now sometimes

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I finished "The End of Faith" last night. My VERY short thoughts to keep from writing a book myself.

Points where he gets things VERY right:

There shouldn't or can't be moderates in religion. Either you believe, trust in what was said, and what is happening in your life, or disregard completely.
Christians should recognize this problem from multiple points.
- Jesus specifically taught the consequences of not following him.
- Paul spent a great deal of time (Galations 5 is a good example) addressing Christians who were trying to straddle the fence between the Jewish law and freedom in Christ.
Trying to be two things makes you neither.

When he questions why people taught to love their enemies treat people the way the church has it cuts to the core. It is true. It is meaningful. We have failed in a large way to be the salt and light in the world Jesus called us to be. Our failure does not mean he does not exist, or that he isn't trying to work through us to do it. But our failures make his point valid.

Completely emotional and unreasonable attachments to religious beliefs cause a great deal of problems. Fighting back and forth between beliefs cause a great deal of hurt in this world.

However, I would say this to those that read this book:

There is no rational repudiation of the existence of God in this book. It is a diatribe against the problems people with different religious belief cause. He presents a hope that if people can be convinced to do away with faith altogether those problems will go away. What this book ends up being is what he is railing against. An emotional plea for a belief system with no acceptance in an alternative viewpoint.

I posit that his solution cannot produce the results he believes they will. The problems he wants to solve would remain. If his wish comes true and faith goes away altogether pride and selfishness will continue to cause the same problems. With or without faith there will always be selfish ambition, covetousness, envy, and reasons to want something someone else has. IMO His world would be the same infighting for conquest, stealing, and corrupt world. It changes nothing other than what those who do them use as their motivation. While that may show a more true motivation, it does not do away with the injustices.

Instead of a repudiation he goes the way of trying to prove that if God does exist he is not good. It is easy to consider this a lack of understanding of Christian teaching. I don't think it is in his case. I think he purposefully ignores the teaching and reasoning in the Bible and pulls specific examples that appear to line up with his point.

For example. His definition of faith (belief in the absence of evidence) is poorly formed. It is true that the Bible's definition is similar (confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see), but he misses an important aspect of faith. That confidence is earned. People do not come to faith only by just being taught. Those that lean on that type of faith really have no faith, and are easily moved by reasonable sounding arguments. He does address that part of it, but he misses the basis of faith. At least for this Christian is built upon persevering through trials and gaining confidence. It is built on hearing what is promised, testing those promises, and seeing them happen. See Romans 5:1-6, James 1:2-6. Either he ignores this completely, or I missed something.

He gives a good reasonable argument as to why he thinks we should do away with faith, but that's just the rub. Shoulds and shouldn'ts (for lack of better words) boil down to right and a wrong ways. In the end we are back at a moral determination, and an existence of a personal sense of what is right and wrong. One of my biggest reasons for believing in some type of God is that we actually have that moral sence. The Bible calls it the law written on the heart. I have yet to hear someone come up with a cogent arguemnt as to how that would chemically develop or evolve.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I finished "The End of Faith" last night. My VERY short thoughts to keep from writing a book myself.
Just my 2 cents.
I think you missed a very central point of the book and that is that only faith can cause a sane individual to take his own life and others and expect to be rewarded for it.

to quote him

“People of faith tend to argue that it is not faith itself but man's baser nature that inspires such violence. But, I take it to be self-evident that ordinary people cannot be moved to burn genial old scholars alive for blaspheming the Koran, or celebrate the violent deaths of their children, unless they believe some improbable things about the nature of the universe.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.