RB Update and Questions

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
I'm hoping others on here know more than I do about this.
I'm concerned about our RB depth -

Derek Henry - our Stud this year

Behind him?
Bo is out for a bit - and recovering from injury

2015 we recruited
D Harris & D Flowers / I know nothing about them

2014 we recruited - no running backs - except for Bo

What am I missing - are we ok or not??

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm hoping others on here know more than I do about this.
I'm concerned about our RB depth -

Derek Henry - our Stud this year

Behind him?
Bo is out for a bit - and recovering from injury

2015 we recruited
D Harris & D Flowers / I know nothing about them
Flowers is in JUCO. Alabama did sign Xavian Marks, but UA has not announced if his signing is for football or track.

Ronnie Clark is at RB due to the depth issues.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Depth is a concern. DH will gets a lion's share of the carries, and if he stays healthy, will have the opportunity to put up some serious numbers.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
If anyone can handle the load is this guy. Basically coach has kept him fresh just for this year. He had 1387 carries in high school. Plus he has hands out of the backfield.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I'm sure there are others in 14 we recruited, but Bo was the only one we got. At the time it didn't appear to be an issue because we had so many others we'd signed (Tenpenny, Jones) that we appeared ok. With them leaving the program, that's now obviously not the case from a depth standpoint.

I always get a little worried when I see huge numbers at the same position in one class. I think it hurts recruiting for that position in later classes because it looks like a logjam at the top of the depth chart without as much ability for the younger players to get in. We also saw that at LB with the huge class we brought in a couple of years back, then not as much for the couple of years after so the depth inside is a bit shaky now.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I'm sure there are others in 14 we recruited, but Bo was the only one we got. At the time it didn't appear to be an issue because we had so many others we'd signed (Tenpenny, Jones) that we appeared ok. With them leaving the program, that's now obviously not the case from a depth standpoint.

I always get a little worried when I see huge numbers at the same position in one class. I think it hurts recruiting for that position in later classes because it looks like a logjam at the top of the depth chart without as much ability for the younger players to get in. We also saw that at LB with the huge class we brought in a couple of years back, then not as much for the couple of years after so the depth inside is a bit shaky now.
Yes, I believe our RB depth issue is 100% attributable to misfires with Tenpenny and Jones. I thought Jones, in particular, had tremendous potential. I think either one of those guys could have gotten a substantial share of the workload this year. My guess is that LK will have to line Drake up in the backfield somewhat more than he might have otherwise. If he and Henry stay healthy, we should be more than fine.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The biggest issue I see with the RB position is the lack of a true power back that we have been accustomed to - Ingram, Lacy, Richardson etc. We haven't really had one of those the past couple years. Drake and Henry are phenomenal talents but not sure either one could get the tough yards between the tackles in crunch time. That has cost us a few games the past couple years. Hopefully we use Henry mostly north/south as he is the closest thing we have to a power back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
The biggest issue I see with the RB position is the lack of a true power back that we have been accustomed to - Ingram, Lacy, Richardson etc. We haven't really had one of those the past couple years. Drake and Henry are phenomenal talents but not sure either one could get the tough yards between the tackles in crunch time. That has cost us a few games the past couple years. Hopefully we use Henry mostly north/south as he is the closest thing we have to a power back..

Damien Harris is our true power back before we get Bo back. Harris has been compared to Ingram and for good reasons. Harris is actually further along physically than Ingram was as a true freshmen.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Damien Harris is our true power back before we get Bo back. Harris has been compared to Ingram and for good reasons. Harris is actually further along physically than Ingram was as a true freshmen.
Harris may very well be the power back we need but I didn't really include him since he hasn't played yet. Will be interesting to see how he gets used this year. Harris could have a big year if he gets the bulk of the carries after Henry..

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
We have Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Damien Harris, Ronnie Clark, Bo Scarbrough, and Xavian Marks on scholly. Noticed on rolltide.com that we also brought in Derrick Gore from a CC in Syracuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiwTGuyAZtE
Thanks for that info. At over 200 pounds, Mr Gore may provide some between the tackles size with enough speed to keep defenses honest. All provided that he can pick up the offense quickly enough. High school in Syracuse, JuColl at Coffeyville in Kansas.

On a related note, does anyone else wonder about the people running rolltide.com. They list the Marks scatback from Texas as over 200 lbs and also from Syracuse, NY as is Gore. C'mon guys, get it together.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban does not hesitate in the use of true freshman running backs, so I expect Harris and Scarbrough to play this season, so you have more quality depth than most schools when listing RBs who can move a pile.

Henry was far more dangerous when running off the edge than between the tackles last season. Have to see if that changes this year. If not, I believe that Damien and Bo will see carries early and often.

I also think that Drake will be used in different ways - not as a RB in the ways that Alabama fans are accustomed to seeing. Drake is most effective in space - a threat to score on any play.

So you have 2 great RBs with a lot of experience and 2 great RBs who are true freshmen. That isn't exactly thin. I understand that injuries are a threat on every play at this position, but I think that you will be more than fine at RB this season. The real question mark is your O-line.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Drake is more of a Swiss Army Knife. We line him up all over the field. Last year is evidence of that. He lined up a lot outside for bubble screens and he also lined up in the slot some for that motion/smear sweep. I expect to see Drake and Henry in the game a lot at the same time this coming year.

So I wouldn't necessarily call Drake a true backup RB to Henry. I think Damien Harris ultimately gets that duty.

ga tide man #9

Scout Team
Jan 16, 2003
trion ga.
I think that CLK will use a combination of Drake and Stewart in the Cooper roll, and Drake to be the primary back up to Henry. It looks like Harris is the real deal and that would be a huge bonus.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.