Link: Typical gubment at work, EPA digging around really mucked it up

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
The mustard-colored muck that spilled into a river from a shutteredColorado gold mine contains heavy metals including lead and arsenic, but it's too early to know whether they pose a health risk, federal environmental officials said Friday.
Prior to their screw-up the EPA considered this water to be a major health risk. Now that they dumped it into the river, they are not so sure it's a health risk. Go figure.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Don't worry, folks - somehow SOME WAY - this will be blamed on George W Bush.

Btw, Earle's kayaking reference reminded me of an exchange on "WKRP:"

Bailey: "There's a station in Atlanta that sponsors a raft race. Maybe we should do something like that."

Andy Travis: "That's a pretty good idea except I'm afraid the Ohio River runs a little fast, people COULD get killed."

Dr Johnny Fever: "Nobody said it was gonna be easy. Next problem?"

ha ha ha

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Don't worry, folks - somehow SOME WAY - this will be blamed on George W Bush.

Btw, Earle's kayaking reference reminded me of an exchange on "WKRP:"

Bailey: "There's a station in Atlanta that sponsors a raft race. Maybe we should do something like that."

Andy Travis: "That's a pretty good idea except I'm afraid the Ohio River runs a little fast, people COULD get killed."

Dr Johnny Fever: "Nobody said it was gonna be easy. Next problem?"

ha ha ha
I have to say, it seems to me that the "you break it you fix it" approach should be at play here. The company (if they violated EPA safety guidelines) or the EPA (if those guidelines or EPA agents were to blame) or both should be forking out big time for this.
Here in Virginia two big environmental issue currently are an oil pipeline from West Virginia to the coast and uranium mining.
A lot of folks are up in arms. but I'm undecided. If adequate safeguards are in place to prevent a spill and to make the oil company pay a horrible price if one occurred (and I mean "take your breath away" sort of fine, and I would demand that money be put into an escrow account beforehand so the company can't just say "Oops" and go out of business if there is a spill), I might be up for it. The jobs would be nice locally and we need both oil and uranium. But the pipeline is going to have to transit the Monongahela and George Washington National Forests, and I don't want that messed up.
In both cases (oil and uranium), why can't the General Assembly just put in place a real "if you screw it up, you pay for the clean-up" provision? Maybe some of the attorneys and enlighten me. It just seem to be common practice in the US to allow to engage in environmentally risky behavior and when something goes wrong (the company hires a drunk to captain the oil tanker or they do not drill a parallel well in case of a blowout), legislation allows them to just say, "Oops."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You know, that stuff could just dissolve the bottom of your plastic boat. Reminds me of the time I decided that I'd like to stick a little key box on the bottom of my car, but the magnet wouldn't hold, there was such an accumulation of road grit. I went and retrieved some MEK, put on plastic gloves and started clean a spot. Soon, I realized my sense of touch was too acute. The MEK had dissolved the gloves...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have to say, it seems to me that the "you break it you fix it" approach should be at play here. The company (if they violated EPA safety guidelines) or the EPA (if those guidelines or EPA agents were to blame) or both should be forking out big time for this.
Here in Virginia two big environmental issue currently are an oil pipeline from West Virginia to the coast and uranium mining.
A lot of folks are up in arms. but I'm undecided. If adequate safeguards are in place to prevent a spill and to make the oil company pay a horrible price if one occurred (and I mean "take your breath away" sort of fine, and I would demand that money be put into an escrow account beforehand so the company can't just say "Oops" and go out of business if there is a spill), I might be up for it. The jobs would be nice locally and we need both oil and uranium. But the pipeline is going to have to transit the Monongahela and George Washington National Forests, and I don't want that messed up.
In both cases (oil and uranium), why can't the General Assembly just put in place a real "if you screw it up, you pay for the clean-up" provision? Maybe some of the attorneys and enlighten me. It just seem to be common practice in the US to allow to engage in environmentally risky behavior and when something goes wrong (the company hires a drunk to captain the oil tanker or they do not drill a parallel well in case of a blowout), legislation allows them to just say, "Oops."
Actually, most of the environmental acts allow the government to name the officers of the company - or anyone material in the decision-making process as a PRP (Potentially Responsible Party). The fine then becomes personal, so bankruptcy of the company doesn't help them. Most of the suits are filed against EPA for an inadequate fine and enforcement...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
A letter published on July 30th in the Silverton Standard local newspaper predicted this would happen.

Based on my 47 years of experience as a professional geologist, it appears to me that the EPA is setting your town and the area up for possible Superfund blitzkrieg.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
You know, that stuff could just dissolve the bottom of your plastic boat. Reminds me of the time I decided that I'd like to stick a little key box on the bottom of my car, but the magnet wouldn't hold, there was such an accumulation of road grit. I went and retrieved some MEK, put on plastic gloves and started clean a spot. Soon, I realized my sense of touch was too acute. The MEK had dissolved the gloves...
Even the fumes can melt most plastics.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.