Possible Trouble on the Plains: Duke Williams Misses Second Straight Practice

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Folks noticed Duke wasn't at practice yesterday. Rhett Lashlee met with the media after practice and commented on his absence:

D'haquille Williams missed Auburn's fourth preseason practice on Friday and when he'll be back is unclear.

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Williams, a preseason First Team All-SEC honoree, was not in attendance due to "personal business."

Lashlee said it is a "day-to-day" situation but would not put a definitive timetable on when Williams would return.
Today, Gus met with the media after practice and gave more explanation:

"He had a discipline issue that we're taking care of and when he takes care of that, he'll be back on the field," Malzahn said. "I'll make that decision. I will let you know when he'll be back. Bottom line: nobody is bigger than the team around here and that's between me and him."
I asked an Auburn friend of mine what the word on the AU message board was. He gave me this quote from Phillip Marshall:

My gut feeling is that Williams is on shaky ground. I wouldn't be shocked if his Auburn days are over. I wouldn't be shocked if he is suspended. At the same time, he might be at practice today. he might be in the lineup on Sept. 5 against Louisville.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Duke doesn't play for AU this season it really hurts their chances to have a great season. He's the best WR in the SEC IMO..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Sounds like this guy has been a complete headcase for them but Gus doesn't have the balls to dismiss him no matter what he does.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He really should have went on to the NFL after last year. Not sure why he didn't. His stock was pretty high at the end of the season.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I was surprise he didn't come out last year as well given his talent, production at end of year, and discipline.

That tweet is interesting, may be crimson tinted but that doesn't sound good to me for duke coming back.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Just my amateur opinion but Duke isn't fast, his route running is average at best. His strengths are his hands and ability to get open. With his character issues, it would have been wise to leave last year to bolt for the NFL. now he may or may not return to auburn football team . What a mess. FYI most sources including barn fans are saying he got into an altercation with a auburn basketball player and it didn't turn out too well for good ole Duke.

Last edited:

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Just my amateur opinion but Duke isn't fast, his route running is average at best. His strengths are his hands and ability to get open. With his character issues, it would have been wise to leave last year to bolt for the NFL. now he may or may not return to auburn football team . What a mess. FYI most sources including barn fans are saying he got into an altercation with a auburn basketball player and it didn't turn out too well for good ole Duke.
4.4 ain't slow but he does need to improve his routes, he should of went in the draft last year indeed. Probably woulda went in the 2nd

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Rumor circulating on WJOX in B'ham yesterday was that he got in a fight with Cimmeon Bowers of the basketball team (!??!!). Strange but that is what one of the weekend morning show hosts was saying he had heard.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
Maybe it's a contract hold out.
OK. That's funny. Not saying that this is the case here but I am sure that there have been instances where a player is given something and then does not likey when it stops.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.