15 Coaches Who Do More With Less

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Frank Beamer should be on this list because he seldom cracks the top 25 in recruiting, mostly mired in the thirties and yet most years is a contender in the ACC.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
I cannot open link but would think VATech, GATech, Mizzou, Baylor, TCU, KState, OkieState,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When discussing the topic, doesn't one have to consider the recruiting aspect? Does the coach have less because he can't recruit? Or does he have less because the local talent isn't the same as what's in Florida? Or does he not recruit well because of academic restrictions from the university?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When discussing the topic, doesn't one have to consider the recruiting aspect? Does the coach have less because he can't recruit? Or does he have less because the local talent isn't the same as what's in Florida? Or does he not recruit well because of academic restrictions from the university?
I think all three should apply because the "more with less" is talking about recruiting and not how or why they don't get the big recruits. Some, GT I would think, don't even go after the top talent like throwers and catchers 'cause they just run the ball ..... so for that reason I wonder if GT should be included.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
One of the best coaches who does more with less - Joey Jones. Did it in high school, and now doing it in college. And if we have the right football minded people in our Athletic Department in T-town, he'll get a good look at being the next coach at Bama whenever Saban decides to retire.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I have a high deal of respect for coach Gary Patterson at TCU. I bet a lot here didn't know that TCU runs the same exact defensive scheme that we do at Alabama. Anyway, that isn't why I respect him, but I figured I'd mention that. I respect him because he puts out an extremely competitive product on the field year in and year out using nothing but 2 or 3 star players. TCU has been consistently good ever since Patterson got there over a decade ago. Now TCU is close to winning a Championship. Not bad for a tiny christian school in Fort Worth Texas. I always pull for TCU to win games due to my Texas roots....they are like my team away from home so to speak. I think a lot of fans have a second team that they pull for at times, TCU is mine unless they played Alabama of course.

I think Patterson is a top 5 coach in the entire nation.

Last edited:

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
That's what I came on to post. Most of those coaches are well-established. I get that there's a special talent in coaching up 2- and 3-stars, but if these coaches are so great, they should be out there competing with the likes of Saban and Meyer to bring in 4- and 5-stars.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
That's what I came on to post. Most of those coaches are well-established. I get that there's a special talent in coaching up 2- and 3-stars, but if these coaches are so great, they should be out there competing with the likes of Saban and Meyer to bring in 4- and 5-stars.
i would think it would be hard to convince a kid to purposely live in Manhattan, Kansas.

CrankyFranky

Scout Team
Aug 5, 2004
Gadsden, AL
I disagree with Mich. State, Penn State and Washington. I think there's so much funding at those schools to say they do more with less is a bit of a stretch.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have a high deal of respect for coach Gary Patterson at TCU. I bet a lot here didn't know that TCU runs the same exact defensive scheme that we do at Alabama. Anyway, that isn't why I respect him, but I figured I'd mention that. I respect him because he puts out an extremely competitive product on the field year in and year out using nothing but 2 or 3 star players. TCU has been consistently good ever since Patterson got there over a decade ago. Now TCU is close to winning a Championship. Not bad for a tiny christian school in Fort Worth Texas. I always pull for TCU to win games due to my Texas roots....they are like my team away from home so to speak. I think a lot of fans have a second team that they pull for at times, TCU is mine unless they played Alabama of course.

I think Patterson is a top 5 coach in the entire nation.
meh, he's just riding fran's coattails

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.