Adam Grifith's Back Injury Remains a Concern

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It seems that the back is one of those body parts (knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, etc ) that when you injure them, you`re never quite the same. And the older you get, the more apparent that becomes. In my 60`s and I don`t kneel in church anymore!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It seems that the back is one of those body parts (knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, etc ) that when you injure them, you`re never quite the same. And the older you get, the more apparent that becomes. In my 60`s and I don`t kneel in church anymore!

Okay, but don't you think it would be worth the pain n sacrifice to try kneeling in church, and pray for Griffith's back to heal completely...

I mean, heck, I'll even weigh down the collection plate some more to see if it makes a diff... ;)

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
I am disappointed that Adam Griffith's injured back has not allowed him to fully show just how great a kicker he is. Best wishes Adam for a healed and healthy back! Roll Tide!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think this is why they signed Pinero. Griffith had a tough youth and was probably not getting the proper nourishment in Poland. I suspect that has a lot to do with the issues with his back.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Raiborn doesn't have a strong leg from what I am hearing, but if all else fails, Bama has a Punter with a powerful leg that could kick if needed.

And if JK can be a good FG kicker as well as a punter....we would definitely lose him after his Junior year, so maybe don't let him kick..LOL!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That article is very poorly written. You have no idea when he said the things that he said, now or in the spring, or at the end of last season. And you have no idea where his back stands TODAY.

Sounds like a pars stress fracture, but they usually don't recur. As a long time sufferer of lower back pain, I wish him well.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
That article is very poorly written. You have no idea when he said the things that he said, now or in the spring, or at the end of last season. And you have no idea where his back stands TODAY.

Sounds like a pars stress fracture, but they usually don't recur. As a long time sufferer of lower back pain, I wish him well.

Agreed that the writer won't win a Pulitzer for this effort...

I had to re-read to nail down the timeline, and saw that Griffith said these things yesterday [presumably at Fan Day], ergo, he described himself as having had been 85 - 90% in the Spring, and 95% now...

The part that really surprised me was that he has been battling this issue since High School...

Ugh...

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Reminds me of Don Mattingly. Great ball player, on his way to the HoF... then a back injury, and suddenly he had no power left in his swing. You're rarely ever the same player after one of those.

Feeling really bad for Adam...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think this is why they signed Pinero. Griffith had a tough youth and was probably not getting the proper nourishment in Poland. I suspect that has a lot to do with the issues with his back.
He won't be on campus until January at the earliest because he's a 2016 recruit.

Unless the article was edited, this makes it pretty clear when he made the comments:

“I’ve always had back issues. It was hurting every year,” Griffith said Sunday during Alabama’s Media Day. “But this past year, it was just – it went to the next level. It was frustrating because I couldn’t practice.”

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I wondered if there was a point after the WVa game if Adam got blocked or had to try and make a tackle on a kickoff that took the back issue to another level. I know we played WVa in the dome but the way he was kicking 47 and 49 yard field goals (like they would go from 60 plus) he looked healthy. He never looked that way the rest of the year. You could see he was in some type of pain even when he walked out on the field. Poor kid was stiff.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unless the article was edited, this makes it pretty clear when he made the comments:
Maybe I was being hopeful that some of his comments came after the spring game. Because if it is still only "manageable" after months of rest...

Stress fractures of this nature heal in a few months and should not recur in an otherwise healthy young person. If they do recur, the problem has become chronic and the pain will plague him for the rest of his life.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Raiborn doesn't have a strong leg from what I am hearing, but if all else fails, Bama has a Punter with a powerful leg that could kick if needed.

And if JK can be a good FG kicker as well as a punter....we would definitely lose him after his Junior year, so maybe don't let him kick..LOL!
Whether he kicks FG's or not he has the potential to go after year 3. The only thing that could keep him here for his senior season would be a girlfriend. I speak from experience here. Girls make you crazy.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Sounds like Adam is going to be fine so long as he is not asked to do any kicking. I am not looking forward to watching the kicking game this season. I imagine we will see the Tide going for it a lot on 4th and 10 on the opponents 20 yard line.

B

BroadwayJoe777

I am disappointed that Adam Griffith's injured back has not allowed him to fully show just how great a kicker he is. Best wishes Adam for a healed and healthy back! Roll Tide!
What are you talking about? If he has a bad back, he isn't a great kicker.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Whether he kicks FG's or not he has the potential to go after year 3. The only thing that could keep him here for his senior season would be a girlfriend. I speak from experience here. Girls make you crazy.
That is why I said definitely .....an NFL team would have taken him last year if they could have, but if he ended up being just as good of a FG kicker as he is punter, he could be one of the highest specialty players taken in the draft in a VERY LONG time.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Hard to explain to those who don't know the pain. Out of all the body parts you mentioned it's the worst because sometimes it's hard to even move.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.