6 Books on Pres. Obama's Summer Reading List

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
The Washington Post has a headline of, "6 Books on Pres. Obama's Summer Reading List." I couldn't read the article since I'm not signed up with the WP. I bet some of our creative folks on TF can pass along their own titles that they think is on his summer list. Go.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Here's the list as provided by the White House:

"All That Is," James Salter

"All The Light We Cannot See," Anthony Doerr

"The Sixth Extinction," Elizabeth Kolbert

"The Lowland," Jhumpa Lahiri

"Between the World and Me," Ta-Nehisi Coates

"Washington: A Life," Ron Chernow

Here is a bit on each book http://www.bustle.com/articles/1040...p-amazing-and-heres-what-we-can-learn-from-it

what should he read? Maybe What Color is Your Parachute he's going to be needing a new career soon enough

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I read that last one a few years ago (about 5 I think) and then visited Washington, D. C. and Mt. Vernon. I thoroughly enjoyed the read and the visit.

I'm still trying to decide who had the nicest home/location: Washington or Jefferson. I really like both, but prefer the more isolated area of Monticello.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I read that last one a few years ago (about 5 I think) and then visited Washington, D. C. and Mt. Vernon. I thoroughly enjoyed the read and the visit.

I'm still trying to decide who had the nicest home/location: Washington or Jefferson. I really like both, but prefer the more isolated area of Monticello.
I do too, but to the folks running Monticello, it was TJ's little love nest. Nothing is important about Jefferson except the alleged Hemming's affair (which, by the way, is unproven, even with DNA evidence). The Monticello Foundation loves telling the Hemings story, almost to the exclusion of all else.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I do too, but to the folks running Monticello, it was TJ's little love nest. Nothing is important about Jefferson except the alleged Hemming's affair (which, by the way, is unproven, even with DNA evidence). The Monticello Foundation loves telling the Hemings story, almost to the exclusion of all else.
A contrarian view is well presented in a WSJ article titled "The myth of Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings".

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My wife has family members that are direct descendants, even submitted to DNA testing. They would agree with you whole heartedly on both points. While the evidence indicates it is likely, too many people are presenting it as an absolute established fact. I've been a few times over the decades, and it is amazing how much the focus has changed. I know some descendants are embracing it and others will not speak to Annette Gordon-Reed to save their lives.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Here is a bit on each book http://www.bustle.com/articles/1040...p-amazing-and-heres-what-we-can-learn-from-it

what should he read? Maybe What Color is Your Parachute he's going to be needing a new career soon enough
Looking at the website you listed regarding the biography of George Washington by Ron Chernow, the question is asked about the reason for reading it. One was to determine if Ron Chernow would do a good enough job in writing one for President Obama with him sitting on a horse on the cover. I suggest that they have him on the cover riding his bicycle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.