Link: "The Last Battle"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is the story of the very end of WWII when American and German soldier fought together to defend Schloss (castle) Itter from the SS. Somehow, I missed that there had been a book written, only $1.99 for the Kindle edition on Amazon. It has special interest for me, because Schloss Itter is now a hotel and I've spent several nights there. It's perched up on a hill, above the valley below...

LINK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought there was a movie starring Burt Lancaster.....
That may be correct. The article seems to hint at it. If so, I missed that also. I always liked Lancaster as an actor. In fact, I liked all that old set of actors and actresses better than I like the current crop. Probably a sign of my age...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would think that in May 1945, the officers and men of the 17th SS PG Division would have better things to do than fight other Germans for the privilege of killing French politicians.
I dunno, like, escape plans, hiding their identity, finding an American unit (rather than a Soviet one) to surrender to.
Those guys were just weird.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I would think that in May 1945, the officers and men of the 17th SS PG Division would have better things to do than fight other Germans for the privilege of killing French politicians.
I dunno, like, escape plans, hiding their identity, finding an American unit (rather than a Soviet one) to surrender to.
True believers do all sorts of weird things. Like migrate to Brazil, for instance.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Very wild story that sounds like someone trying to write a historical setting movie that is not so historical. I will go see this one. My mom and dad stayed there one too.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That may be correct. The article seems to hint at it. If so, I missed that also. I always liked Lancaster as an actor. In fact, I liked all that old set of actors and actresses better than I like the current crop. Probably a sign of my age...

Finally had a chance to look it up and the movie I was thinking of is called "Castle Keep" (with Burt Lancaster) and it was about trying to preserve an art collection inside a castle from being destroyed....not the castle itself.....and it was Americans vs Germans....not Americans with Germans.

I'm with you on the quality of actors from "back in the day". There are a few good ones now but so much has changed in our society that (IMHO) the movies themselves have sort of deteriorated in substance and style.

If they ever did make a movie about Schloss Itter I wouldn't mind seeing both Matthew McConaughey and Tom Hanks playing the lead roles of the two defending forces....MM of course the German commander.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Finally had a chance to look it up and the movie I was thinking of is called "Castle Keep" (with Burt Lancaster) and it was about trying to preserve an art collection inside a castle from being destroyed....not the castle itself.....and it was Americans vs Germans....not Americans with Germans.

I'm with you on the quality of actors from "back in the day". There are a few good ones now but so much has changed in our society that (IMHO) the movies themselves have sort of deteriorated in substance and style.

If they ever did make a movie about Schloss Itter I wouldn't mind seeing both Matthew McConaughey and Tom Hanks playing the lead roles of the two defending forces....MM of course the German commander.
For commandant of the castle, Wimmer, I nominate Christoph Waltz, after his performance in "Inglourious Bastards." BTW, the reason for the misspelling was that there was already an Italian film with the same name spelled correctly. When we went to Itter, I was unaware that it was a designated R&R destination for American troops stationed in southern Germany. I found out about by bumping into a coffee importer from Berlin in a Restaurant in Austria. He was also on vacation. He spoke no English, but, being from Berlin, his German was very clear. After explaining about it, he said, in German, you can buy Budweiser beer there. I asked him why I would want to buy that beer in Germany and Austria. He seemed surprised at my reaction and said "Budweiser ist gutes Bier." (Budweiser is good beer.) That was because of the Army connection, although we saw no troops while we were there.

I'm reading the book now. It's really well written and I recommend it. The back story is fascinating...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For commandant of the castle, Wimmer, I nominate Christoph Waltz, after his performance in "Inglourious Bastards."
I think he did a great job with the role of Hans Landa. The way he can switch from German to French to English to Italian so effortlessly and without much of an accent is remarkable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think he did a great job with the role of Hans Landa. The way he can switch from German to French to English to Italian so effortlessly and without much of an accent is remarkable.
Actually, he's co-starred as an American in a fairly recent movie. In his appearances on the late night shows, he's shows a slight Austrian accent in spontaneous exchanges. Of course, I've been told, by Germans, that my German has a slight Austrian accent, since those are the ones I initially learned my conversational German - and it's still the most "transparent" to me. The book is meticulously researched and is surprisingly good reading. It would be good, before reading it, to print out a map, unless you're familiar with the area...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Actually, he's co-starred as an American in a fairly recent movie. In his appearances on the late night shows, he's shows a slight Austrian accent in spontaneous exchanges. Of course, I've been told, by Germans, that my German has a slight Austrian accent, since those are the ones I initially learned my conversational German - and it's still the most "transparent" to me. The book is meticulously researched and is surprisingly good reading. It would be good, before reading it, to print out a map, unless you're familiar with the area...
One of my pet peeves in history, especially military history.
It is useless to say "The 5th Alabama marched from Smithville to Jonesboro in only four hours." If you don't have a map, it doesn't tell me much. If the two are 18 miles apart, that is an impressive piece of marching. If they are three miles apart, then it is a stroll. A good map is indispensable to a deep understanding of any military history.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my pet peeves in history, especially military history.
It is useless to say "The 5th Alabama marched from Smithville to Jonesboro in only four hours." If you don't have a map, it doesn't tell me much. If the two are 18 miles apart, that is an impressive piece of marching. If they are three miles apart, then it is a stroll. A good map is indispensable to a deep understanding of any military history.
I'm intimately familiar with the entire area, which helps. There are some almost super human feats detailed in it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I finished it yesterday. Only 230 pages. I still recommend it - well researched, but still written in a way as to keep the action moving, not that it needed much. I did think about your remarks while reading it. Why on earth the SS was so intent on capturing the castle and executing all within is a mystery. Of course, at the same time, they were entering towns and villages and dragging the inhabitants out of any house which had a white flag or a red and white Austrian flag and summarily executing them, five days after Hitler's death, so there you have it. Total fanatics. The common Wehrmacht soldiers were pursuing the objectives you mentioned but not the SS. It makes one wonder what kind of life this kind of person could craft for himself after hostilities were actually over. "Operation Werwolf" fell on its face. The Germans simply had no stomach for fighting on. OTOH, the last Japanese soldier surrendered 30 years after the war and only then because they located his former commander to fly to the Philippines to order him to surrender. Despite the hardships of living off the land and what he could steal, he lived to 91 and only died last year. Now that's fanaticism...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I finished it yesterday. Only 230 pages. I still recommend it - well researched, but still written in a way as to keep the action moving, not that it needed much. I did think about your remarks while reading it. Why on earth the SS was so intent on capturing the castle and executing all within is a mystery. Of course, at the same time, they were entering towns and villages and dragging the inhabitants out of any house which had a white flag or a red and white Austrian flag and summarily executing them, five days after Hitler's death, so there you have it. Total fanatics. The common Wehrmacht soldiers were pursuing the objectives you mentioned but not the SS.
A colleague's father was part of the Wehrmacht 7th Panzer (not the SS), which had spent most of the period 1941-1945 on the Eastern Front. I'll tell you what he was doing in the first week of May 1945: trying to find an American unit to surrender to.

I remember seeing the news of the surrender of the last Japanese soldiers in the Philippines in 1974. Crazy levels of fanaticism. I guess the behavior was its own punishment. Onoda had wasted the better part of his life fighting a war that had been over for years. The Japanese on the PI had heard reports of a surrender but discounted them as propaganda. Their orders were to stay out and recon for the returning Japanese forces. So Onoda did.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A colleague's father was part of the Wehrmacht 7th Panzer (not the SS), which had spent most of the period 1941-1945 on the Eastern Front. I'll tell you what he was doing in the first week of May 1945: trying to find an American unit to surrender to.

I remember seeing the news of the surrender of the last Japanese soldiers in the Philippines in 1974. Crazy levels of fanaticism. I guess the behavior was its own punishment. Onoda had wasted the better part of his life fighting a war that had been over for years. The Japanese on the PI had heard reports of a surrender but discounted them as propaganda. Their orders were to stay out and recon for the returning Japanese forces. So Onoda did.
All of the old German guys I knew well enough here were doing everything they could do to keep from being captured by the Russians. My next door neighbor, whom I've mentioned before, said they prayed every day for the Americans to arrive. When I asked why, I expected to hear the Russians again, but she said "Because then, the bombing would stop." Her husband was with the Peenemuende crew, who all credited von Braun for delivering them into American hands. She married one of them later, when he went back to Germany, bride-hunting...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Am I the only one that came to this thread expecting C.S. Lewis?

I have actually seen this discussed on another forum. I'll definitely Kindle it now with your recommendation.
Um, perhaps because his is a childrens' book? Or maybe you thought that's where my tastes lay... :D

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The book I'm reading now is "The Rape of Nanking". It talks a lot about Japanese fanaticism. The book claims that for every American soldier that was captured, 20 were killed. For every Japanese soldier that was captured, 120 were killed. Evidently the Japanese army had nothing but contempt for the Chinese because they surrendered the city of Nanking when they outnumbered the Japanese.

I'll read "The Last Battle" when I finish this one. And the CS Lewis book by the same name is a good read. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.