Best, worst college fb coaches in close games

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Re: Best, worst college fb coahces in close games

I was making this point right after the game and literally nobody was listening.

Mack Brown got a questionable second put on the clock in the 2009 Big 12 title game against Nebraska. He had a freshman kicker. If he misses that kick, Brown looks like a complete idiot (and Colt never gets hurt - against us anyway). He makes it and suddenly Brown is a calm and collected great coach.

Saban deserves a ton of criticism for the 2013 Iron Bowl. Ironically, the decision to kick the long bomb was the least worthy of criticism.
What criticism does he deserve ? I'm serious. Is it his fault his kicker, who was 10-12 going into the game, melted down ? Is it his fault that the OT and FB, one of the best players on the team, both let Lawson loose to stop Yeldon on 4th and inches ? He makes it easy otherwise. Why does the HC have to be blamed other than the buck stops with him ? I did not see one strategic or tactical mistake that Saban made. Not one. Some have suggested that Bama should have thrown more, but the AU pass rush was killing AJ in the 4th qtr and Bama was running the ball really well.

I get it, the press and opponents want any excuse to criticize Saban and Bama; Bama fans now feel so entitled that they don't mourn losses, many resent them and find subtle and occasionally blatant ways to express that towards Coach Saban. It is truly amazing. (Not saying selmab is doing that, you don't seem to be the bitter type.)

I know he makes mistakes like all, but he is incredibly sharp, not just strategically, but tactically, in the heat of battle. And frankly, if he does make one, he deserves several passes.

But back to the AU game, someone name one with specificity. Bama just suffered a tough loss due to lack of execution at a few key moments, good AU play, and bad fortune. It happens, but coaching blunders were not the issue.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Well there are things the players did or didn't do that can't be blamed on saban. But what can be is being so committed to the run to the point where auburn stacks the box and proves that yeldon isn't Like Eddie,mark, or Trent in that he can push the hole. Had we aired it out like we should amari would've had over 300 yards. Auburn had no answer for amari and an that day. And Lane kiffin last year further proved that point.

That is my biggest gripe on CNS on that day, and not the kick. It ultimately proves the point that we didn't have the pieces for the ground and pound that year when an average defense stuffs 1 and 2 yard attempts
Could not not disagree more about running strategy. Yeldon ran for 141 yards and a 5.4 YPC. Also, in the 4th qtr AJ was being nailed by the AU pass rush. And TJ is a very good short yardage back. A better overall runner than Mark and Trent and just as good as Eddie. Not as powerful as Trent, close to Eddie more so than Mark. Unless Henry has improved his footwork in the hole Bama fans are going to sorely miss TJ this year, one of the most underrated players in Bama's recent history. He and Eddie were partially responsible for making the OL look so good in 2012. Their footwork was amazing. The ND D personnel talked more about TJ and Eddie than the OL.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.