My take on where the QB job is at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Agreed 100%. Name a starter at the beginning of spring, hand him the reins, and if someone beats him out between then and game 1 then the team is better off. I'm not sure the continual flirting with potential QB transfers and constant speculation among the media and fans if good for the team. QB is a unique and important position that does not need to be continually looking over his shoulder for fear of making a single mistake will get him yanked. We've had QB's in the past that played with that mentality and it was not good for them nor the team.
Thanks, thats my thinking. All that time could be spent in working with the assumed starter to improve and build confidence. As you said, if he gets beat out, fine, make the change.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
. Remember in the past when we knew who our QB was and when he struggled, we never thought about pulling him for the backup.
Honestly, no.

I do remember many thinking the backup was better and wanting the starter pulled for the one waiting in the wings. And before that having two ready to play going back to the late 70's. Then since CNS showed up we have a guy somehow who is always ready. Not always the one we expect, but always someone is ready.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is why I am not a fan of all this depth at Alabama. I am a diehard fan and I don't even know who the starters are. Remember in the past when we knew who our QB was and when he struggled, we never thought about pulling him for the backup.

I don't think Coker is nearly what we thought he would be and knew that when Blake Sims beat him out. Cornwell can only hope Coker gets hurt to see playing time. Still confused on why Bateman is hanging around. To me Morris is a clip board holder. If Coker and Cornwell can step up, go ahead and put Barnett in.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is why I am not a fan of all this depth at Alabama.
This might be the first time I've ever seen it put this way. You should be a fan of all this depth, the presumed starter gets hurt, there are other guys there to cover for him.

We've seen a lot of major programs with struggling quarterbacks, Alabama has managed to get fairly solid QB play, in large part due to the fact they manage to avoid putting all their eggs in one basket.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is why I am not a fan of all this depth at Alabama. I am a diehard fan and I don't even know who the starters are. Remember in the past when we knew who our QB was and when he struggled, we never thought about pulling him for the backup.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are young. I remember an era in football in which the great college programs had twice as many players and literally signed players to scholarships just to keep them from going to rival schools, knowing that they were so deep that the players had little chance of ever seeing the field.

I knew who Cardale Jones was last year, but only because of his idiotic tweets. Depth is not a problem, my friend. Depth is the solution.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Honestly, no.

I do remember many thinking the backup was better and wanting the starter pulled for the one waiting in the wings. And before that having two ready to play going back to the late 70's. Then since CNS showed up we have a guy somehow who is always ready. Not always the one we expect, but always someone is ready.
This. Zow vs. Watts, anyone? I do recall a period when our scholarship numbers were so low that we basically had one guy who could go and if something happened to him (poor Brodie) things were just dismal. I prefer not to go back there, ever.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are young. I remember an era in football in which the great college programs had twice as many players and literally signed players to scholarships just to keep them from going to rival schools, knowing that they were so deep that the players had little chance of ever seeing the field.

I knew who Cardale Jones was last year, but only because of his idiotic tweets. Depth is not a problem, my friend. Depth is the solution.
Yep. Your team won a national championship because of quality depth. Most schools would like to have the quality depth we have at most every position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This. Zow vs. Watts, anyone? I do recall a period when our scholarship numbers were so low that we basically had one guy who could go and if something happened to him (poor Brodie) things were just dismal. I prefer not to go back there, ever.
The 2003 and 2004 seasons should make every Alabama fan thankful for quality depth.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

The word was that back in the day, Woody didn't need another quarterback, so he told Coach Bryant about a kid that Woody didn't want in the Big Ten playing against him...so Coach Bryant went to Beaver Falls and brought Joe Namath to Tuscaloosa...now I don't know that as a fact, but I have heard/read it many times over the years...

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
As a 49 year old fan, I cannot remember a time that we didn't argue over starters and especially QB. Walter Lewis, anyone? Don Jacobs? Tyler Watts?

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Thanks Woody! and good lick on that Clemson kid
The word was that back in the day, Woody didn't need another quarterback, so he told Coach Bryant about a kid that Woody didn't want in the Big Ten playing against him...so Coach Bryant went to Beaver Falls and brought Joe Namath to Tuscaloosa...now I don't know that as a fact, but I have heard/read it many times over the years...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
As I heard that story, it was Joe Paterno, not Woody. And, he suggested that Coach Bryant check out Namath because he didn't think Namath would have the grades to get admitted to Penn St. Not because he didn't need another QB. Otherwise, Paterno would have signed Joe himself.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As I heard that story, it was Joe Paterno, not Woody. And, he suggested that Coach Bryant check out Namath because he didn't think Namath would have the grades to get admitted to Penn St. Not because he didn't need another QB. Otherwise, Paterno would have signed Joe himself.
I thought it was a coach at MD. where Bryant previously coached because Nameth couldn't meet entrance requirements.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I thought it was a coach at MD. where Bryant previously coached because Nameth couldn't meet entrance requirements.
OK, some coach of some team somewhere couldn't sign Namath for some reason and suggested that Coach Bryant sign him.

There. Fixed it for us. :wink:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Namath had many offers from Division I college football programs, including Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame, but initially decided upon the University of Maryland after being heavily recruited by Maryland assistant Roland Arrigoni. He was rejected by Maryland because his college-board scores were just below the school's requirements. After ample recruiting by Alabama's head football coach, Bear Bryant, Namath accepted a full scholarship there. Bryant stated his decision to recruit Namath was "the best coaching decision I ever made.
Joe_Namath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.