My take on where the QB job is at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have no problem with any of that. I would have just said "I saw on another site" or "I've read a few people saying" instead of

"Heard" implies someone told you something.
Oh ok I see what you're saying. I was using heard just as in information I came across. I'll take your advice next time so it's not misleading..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Oh ok I see what you're saying. I was using heard just as in information I came across. I'll take your advice next time so it's not misleading..
A lot of people scour the internet and take bits and pieces together from all over and make it sound as though they are privy to inside info. We've had a lot of those over the years, and it is pretty easy to spot if someone looks at several other sites themselves.

If you just phrased it wrong, that's cool. I was afraid you was acting like one of those guys, and if that is not the case, I apologize!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The biggest surprise is that Alec Morris is near the top...I like him but never thought that would happen. Seems to be Coker's job to lose...I hope he keeps his head and does well.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
A lot of people scour the internet and take bits and pieces together from all over and make it sound as though they are privy to inside info. We've had a lot of those over the years, and it is pretty easy to spot if someone looks at several other sites themselves.

If you just phrased it wrong, that's cool. I was afraid you was acting like one of those guys, and if that is not the case, I apologize!
Nope, that's definitely not me. Not an insider and never will be. Just passionate about Bama football..

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
It's manageable though. I broke my toe the night before a game once, and went out the next night. It hurt like heck, but when you're trying to win you put that aside.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I hate to split toes like this, but there is a huge difference depending on which toe and on which foot he broke.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think the reports of a broken toe may be a misreading of the Al.com practice report.

-- QB Jake Coker looked solid again in his second day back from a brief (toe) injury break.

Read this to mean a brief injury break with the toe in parentheses to explain where the injury was- not to mean the toe was broken

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The biggest surprise is that Alec Morris is near the top...I like him but never thought that would happen. Seems to be Coker's job to lose...I hope he keeps his head and does well.
I'm hearing that while Morris doesn't have the same tools as the other QBs, he has the best grasp of the system and is a favorite of the OL. More of a McElroy type than a gunslinger.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
let's be honest--With all the talent that we have, all we really need is a game manager that will execute the plays that are given to him and not make mistakes. I doubt that AM ends up being the guy, but if that were who the staff were to end up going with in the opener, I'd have no problem with it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm hearing that while Morris doesn't have the same tools as the other QBs, he has the best grasp of the system and is a favorite of the OL. More of a McElroy type than a gunslinger.
Anybody know what Morris's limitations are? I'm curious because he has a lot of positives (arm strength, understanding of the system, willingness to be a role player, not a diva) but recitation of those is usually followed up by a mention of "limitations."

I've just always been curious as to what those limitations were.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Anybody know what Morris's limitations are? I'm curious because he has a lot of positives (arm strength, understanding of the system, willingness to be a role player, not a diva) but recitation of those is usually followed up by a mention of "limitations."

I think the most obvious limitation AM has in comparison to the other 4 is lack of athletic ability. The other 4 range from having at least some escapability if the pocket breaks down to being a real threat running the ball. AM would be more in the mold of JPW/GMc/AJ - a statue in the pocket. It's just tough to ask the O-Line to be perfect with pass blocking on obvious passing downs. One missed assignment/mental mistake or just poor block and it's an automatic sack if you have a QB that isn't athletic.

Edit: I'm not saying the AM is a terrible athlete or can't run at all, just think he would be 5th out of the 5 if they were all compared athletically. Then again he might be 1st out of 5 when it comes to decision making which is probably the most important thing a QB does..

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"We" ran a lot of QB draws, with him at QB, during his days here. Including a "4th and goal, or we go home" try during a playoff game. Things that I heard about him, when he signed, of his limitations are.................well, it borders on rumor and hearsay. Not the stuff I would want to say.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think the most obvious limitation AM has in comparison to the other 4 is lack of athletic ability. The other 4 range from having at least some escapability if the pocket breaks down to being a real threat running the ball. AM would be more in the mold of JPW/GMc/AJ - a statue in the pocket. It's just tough to ask the O-Line to be perfect with pass blocking on obvious passing downs. One missed assignment/mental mistake or just poor block and it's an automatic sack if you have a QB that isn't athletic.

Edit: I'm not saying the AM is a terrible athlete or can't run at all, just think he would be 5th out of the 5 if they were all compared athletically. Then again he might be 1st out of 5 when it comes to decision making which is probably the most important thing a QB does..

can he hop five yards down the sideline on one foot?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I have no doubt that if we go with AM we will do just fine. I remember hearing that one season we had 4 or 5 five star QB's and a walk-on ended up beating them all out for the starting job, I believe the walk-on was David Smith. Not always do the heralded "win out".

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

That he was, like, a 2.5-star prospect that 'Bama went to the mat with Wake Forest over?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I have no doubt that if we go with AM we will do just fine. I remember hearing that one season we had 4 or 5 five star QB's and a walk-on ended up beating them all out for the starting job, I believe the walk-on was David Smith. Not always do the heralded "win out".
At most we had 2 5-star QB's in 1988, Vince Sutton and Jeff Dunn. Gene Newberry might have still been on that team but I don't think he was a 5-star recruit and had already moved to TE. Hollingsworth was not a 5-star recruit, at best he would have been a 3-star. Smith was not physically gifted but a very, very sharp guy that picked up Homer's offense much more quickly than the other more talented guys. He probably could have played at several other schools but he chose to walk-on at Bama. Dunn had some good moments but injuries and suspension held him back plus I don't think he ever 'got' Homer's offense like Smith and Hollingsworth did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.