My take on where the QB job is at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I think the linchpin is David Cornwell.

Meaning, I think that after the spring, the coaches were approaching this fall as (a) get Jake Coker ready to go, and if he can't go, (b) we've got this highly-skilled redshirt freshman, who improved in the spring, waiting in the wings.

Except once fall camp went live, Cornwell has either regressed or simply not stepped up.

If you listen to what Saban is suggesting he wants this year (i.e., a low-error game manager), then Morris should be the presumptive favorite. But he also has the lowest ceiling of the five and I'm not sure (and they're not sure, either) that he can win a game if it comes down to that. So they keep trying to get Coker ready, because Coker does have a good (physical, at least) skill set.

The problem is, they don't have their Plan B. The original Plan B was Cornwell, so he's basically got another week plus one more scrimmage to back up what he did in the spring. Otherwise, they're looking at the following Plan Bs: The aforementioned, modestly-skilled junior (Morris), a good athlete with a pop-gun arm (Bateman) or the true freshman who is extremely boom-bust right now and just threw a couple of pick-sixes in a scrimmage (Barnett).

Hence, why I think you keep seeing so many snaps go to Coker, and unless one of the other four takes a big step forward (or unless, perish the thought, Coker takes a big step back), Coker's the guy for Wisconsin at least. I will be very interested to see if Morris gets a greater share of the 1-v-1 work in the coming days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Any knowledge about the circumstances of Barnett's 2 pick sixes? Tipped passes, overthrows, bad reads, etc?

Also I thought I had read that Coker had two INTs during the scrimmage Saturday too.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Interesting. Are you basically saying that Coker is the prohibitive favorite to start but not a slam dunk? Their big worry is that they don't really have the plan B for a scenario where Coker isn't a "gamer."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IF the defense is as good as most on here believe; then any of the 5 QBs should be able to win 7-8 games. IMO it will take something a whole lot more than game management to beat OM, UGA, LSU and auburn. Especially UGA and auburn since they are both on the road.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
IF the defense is as good as most on here believe; then any of the 5 QBs can win 7-8 games. IMO it will take something a whole lot more than game management to beat OM, UGA, LSU and auburn. Especially UGA and auburn since they are both on the road.
Given our schedule, we'll need our quarterback to make winning plays in all of these games. That's a big difference from not making "losing" plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
IF the defense is as good as most on here believe; then any of the 5 QBs can win 7-8 games. IMO it will take something a whole lot more than game management to beat OM, UGA, LSU and auburn. Especially UGA and auburn since they are both on the road.

I think you are dead on & Jess has a good take.

I really don't think CLK is the kind of coach who wants just a game manager, he did it with Sims (who was a horrible passer before Kiffin) he will do it again with any of the 5.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
That's what I think the "giddy up...whoa" quote is all about. First they thought it was Cornwell and he regressed, then they thought it was Barnett and he had a really bad scrimmage and now they just don't know. They don't want to play Morris but he's steadier than the rest.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It doesn't help that 3 of your first 5 opponents are ranked. I believe that you will be fine at QB, but you can't afford to have someone make critical mistakes in those games.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
it will be interesting to see the 3 that come out on top and get the most reps from here on out. So, will it be Coker, Cornwell, and Bateman or Coker, Morris and Cornwell? Who besides BB will be the odd man out?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The scrimmage was almost pass heavy. So, the defense kinda knew what was going on. There was some amazing plays by Defense... some were horrible by Qbs... Overall, I think second scrimmage will have balanced approach and we'll see who truly emerge from this.. I have a feeling that We'll see Coker emerging ....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm going to go out on the limb... Cornwell barely played in scrimmage... I don't know what's going on... But If I have to say it... Bateman and Cornwell will be the odd man out. I think we'll see the rotation emerging as this: COker, Morris, Cornwell and Barnett will redshirt.

it will be interesting to see the 3 that come out on top and get the most reps from here on out. So, will it be Coker, Cornwell, and Bateman or Coker, Morris and Cornwell? Who besides BB will be the odd man out?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Like last year, I don't care who it is, as long as he can help us win. I love game mgrs and would love to see Coker (or any of them) step forward and lead this team like GMac and AJ did.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
Is there any player in college football under more pressure and scrutiny than the starting quarterback at The University of Alabama?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I agree Jess. I think many want the "Sexy" pick just because someone said he is the best "18 Year-Old" that a scout has every seen and they are afraid that he will leave if he doesn't start. CNS will do what is right for the "team" at this moment. It's not about individuals. That said, Rick Town has left USC and will be eligible next year!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would hazard a guess that the upcoming scrimmage, for better or worse for each individual QB, will be a, if not the, final qualifier for the pecking order for the start of the season. If they`re going to have a good day, that`s probably the day to have it.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I would like for Blake Barnett to be the starter and for Bama to win the NC because I know we would be set for the next 3 years. For the Wisconsin game it will be Coker and Cornwell (in that order).

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It doesn't help that 3 of your first 5 opponents are ranked. I believe that you will be fine at QB, but you can't afford to have someone make critical mistakes in those games.
Mistakes are worse than limitations for a QB. If you play within the system and see yourself as a "point guard" to distribute the ball...you will be fine. I tend to agree with Jess -- if Coker and Cornwell keep making big errors, Morris is the man. We won with GMac...we can win with him.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
TIFWIW, but at this stage in fall camp, I look at who's struggling among the leading contenders. Most of the practice observers can tell you who has the best ball flight, who throws the best deep ball, who has the best footwork, etc. What they can't easily tell, however, is how complex a "defensive look" was... or what the QB under center was being asked to do with each play that was called. IMO (again, TIFWIW), Saban uses this part of camp to really test the mettle of the QB's... and they're probably going to struggle some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.