My take on where the QB job is at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Blake Sims didn't separate himself at this point last year. Well, if you were judging by the August 2014 practice reports. He ended up winning two huge games for us down the stretch that put us in the SECCG (@LSU, MSU)...and it was pretty clear even before the Florida game that the wagon was hitched to how much Blake could develop during the season.

All I'm saying is that Saban has been close to the vest with the QB battle the last two times it wasn't a clear decision. He could be very confident in a guy but simply wants to push him to take over the team like McCarron and Sims. It could be the worst case but judging by how the last two vacancies at QB played out it probably isn't a "code red" moment.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I noticed something last season but didn't think much of it. Looking back, it might play a part in who starts this year.

Alec Morris was the QB holding the clipboard. He stood next to Lane when the offense had the ball. Where was Coker? Not near CLK.

Alec held the clipboard for Nuss in 2013, too. He has the experience of calling a game through getting the play from OC to QB.

Why would Coker not be a part of the group of QBs around CLK last year? Seems like he - and the coaches - would want him around CLK as much as possible if he needed to replace Blake at all during the season.
I saw him on the sidelines with headsets on. I get what you are saying but he was involved at least that's what I thought.

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
The issue with this type of plan is that it's not a true competition, at least past a certain point... and players know it. Every position on the field is a battle... and guys have to know they can be replaced (at any time) or many will get lax. Using this system you MIGHT get a better QB, but I guarantee you'll lose whatever you gain at other positions.

BTW, this is what some of us dislike about Saban's current philosophy. Unfortunately, after fall camp, our coaches seem to identify the 35-40 guys who are going to play during the season and shut the competition down after that (this is the way the NFL usually handles things). Last year, IMO it showed up with Christion Jones. His performance returning kicks midway into the season became worse and worse... and someone should've replaced him. Yet, he won that job earlier in the year... and that's who they continued to go with.
I'm with you. I don't think CNS knows what he is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think there is a reasonable explanation why the third team guy was holding the clipboard. Should the starter go down, you don't need to shuffle everyone. The same guy helps signal in the plays. There is little chance the 3rd guy has to play. If he does play the game is well in hand most times.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I think there is a reasonable explanation why the third team guy was holding the clipboard. Should the starter go down, you don't need to shuffle everyone. The same guy helps signal in the plays. There is little chance the 3rd guy has to play. If he does play the game is well in hand most times.
The problem with that logic is that AJ held the clip board as a red shirt freshman not sure about his true freshman year but he was clearly the backup in 2010.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Agreed. Plus to point out the obvious, Coker was the undisputed #2 QB last year and had a legitimate shot at #1.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We have several threads discussing the QB situation so figured I would post this here also:

Heard Cornwell is in the doghouse. CNS said today that Barnett was a younger guy they needed to continue to develop. Basically leaves the QB competition between Bateman, Morris, and Coker with Coker being the strong favorite at this point IMO..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
With the latest news, or apparent news, I'm buying Jake Coker is our starter. I was like 80% percent Coker and 20% Cornwell to who coach was referring to as the one who needed to step it up and got it backwards....apparently.
Makes all the sense in the world to RS Blake and set him up for the future....although that still leaves in question as to who the #2 guy this year??

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Who does Cecil Hurt think is getting the most reps in practice? Find the answer to that question and I think we'll have our answer.

Having said that, I'd be interested to know from any practice observers if JC has improved in his ability to read a defense and if so how much.

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
After reading practice reports today, I think the QB race is essentially over. I know Coker's injury was minor, but most expected him out slightly longer. Him being back at practice so quickly tells me he's (to no real surprise) the guy.

It also seems, as others mentioned, Cornwell is in the doghouse. We'll see how that plays out...but usually it's not well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If Cornwell is in the doghouse, I wonder if it is because he was trying to make "wow" throws as his private QB coach told him he needed to do in order to beat Coker. And that led to an over abundance of interceptions and missed passes.

Ultimately, I'm ok with whoever wins the job because it will be the guy the coaches trust the most to get the job done. They all have strengths that they can build an offensive game plan around.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Where did the talk of Cornwell being in the dog house originate? Just because CNS didn't mention him in his presser yesterday?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Where did the talk of Cornwell being in the dog house originate? Just because CNS didn't mention him in his presser yesterday?
It's funny how urgently we are grasping anything to understand. CNS will chose the QB most able to help us win. That's the safest assumption to go with, imo.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If Saban wants the fans to know he's put a player in the doghouse he will say so.

As far as I know, Cornwell is in good standing with Saban.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.