My take on where the QB job is at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Leon Brown was another... watching the LSU replay the other day, it's like he was singlehandidly trying to sabatoge our chance to win that game in OT.
That game was feast or famine for Leon Brown. He was either making a fantastic block, or killing us with a penalty or missed assignment. Besides, that "personal foul" late hit they called on him was garbage and only delayed us from scoring that TD in OT.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Leon Brown was another... watching the LSU replay the other day, it's like he was single handidly trying to sabatoge our chance to win that game in OT.
We didn't have a lot of options for depth behind LB. Taylor got some shots, and started a couple of games I think, but neither Brown nor taylor really stood out last year and taylor still looks to be 2nd team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That game was feast or famine for Leon Brown. He was either making a fantastic block, or killing us with a penalty or missed assignment. Besides, that "personal foul" late hit they called on him was garbage and only delayed us from scoring that TD in OT.
You are right about that...the play was still happening when he hit that guy and it was clean too. Had we not scored, after the 15 yard markoff, it would have been a critical mistake by the official...

But then a couple of plays later he moves early on a play and we get another 5 yard penalty.

It's a good thing we were just better than LSU that game, but waited to OT to show it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not real fond of what the coach says. Seems like he's putting too much pressure on Cornwell.

That gave Cornwell momentum in the quarterback race headed into fall camp. Shea saw it when he last worked with Cornwell in July when the 6-foot-5, 221-pound quarterback was extremely productive and made all the throws "quarterbacks need to make." Shea believes Cornwell has the skills to be Alabama's starter -- he's smart, accurate and efficient as a passer-- but stressed to his young pupil he needed to do something special to beat presumed favorite Jake Coker.

"You've got to be able to demonstrate some wow throws where the coach goes 'Wow, that's special,'" Shea said. "We tried to make sure he understood those wow throws had to be part of his presentation during practice at some point without forcing the ball."

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I really wonder about the value of these outside coaches. Seems like lots of potential for mixed messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I really wonder about the value of these outside coaches. Seems like lots of potential for mixed messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, that's where we're at now that coaches are limited in their contact with players during the offseason. I'd be great if CLK could have tutored him during that same time frame.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
These QB tutors are invested in their student success because if their students do well, it will let to more kids who will pay for their camp or private QB lessons. It has become "in vogue' to hire one of the many ex-QB's who charges a high fee to tutor a kid. It has become a cottage industry.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Unfortunately, there are plenty of high schools out there that don't have the caliber of coaching that will develop proper QB techniques and skills. Thus, a "QB guru" or tutor at that stage makes a ton of sense to a lot of parents wanting to help their kids.

Now...once a player reaches a major college level and a top-shelf level of coaching, one would hope that these gurus would not be in a position to deliver mixed messages or create issues and that the coaching staff would have to sign off on any outside help a player would seek.

Terry Shea is a classy and highly respected football mind and a coach's coach, so I'd be stunned if you ran into any issues there, but clearly the whole realm of these outside tutors offers at least the potential for difficulties.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I noticed something last season but didn't think much of it. Looking back, it might play a part in who starts this year.

Alec Morris was the QB holding the clipboard. He stood next to Lane when the offense had the ball. Where was Coker? Not near CLK.

Alec held the clipboard for Nuss in 2013, too. He has the experience of calling a game through getting the play from OC to QB.

Why would Coker not be a part of the group of QBs around CLK last year? Seems like he - and the coaches - would want him around CLK as much as possible if he needed to replace Blake at all during the season.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It sounds like Shea says the starting qb job is Coker's if Cornwell doesn't make some wow throws in practice. I'm sure Shea's more connected than I am to the team and knows more about what's going on...but

Maybe reading this article in the paper will push one of the other guys into winning the starter spot since there are more than just two trying to win the job.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I noticed something last season but didn't think much of it. Looking back, it might play a part in who starts this year.

Alec Morris was the QB holding the clipboard. He stood next to Lane when the offense had the ball. Where was Coker? Not near CLK.

Alec held the clipboard for Nuss in 2013, too. He has the experience of calling a game through getting the play from OC to QB.

Why would Coker not be a part of the group of QBs around CLK last year? Seems like he - and the coaches - would want him around CLK as much as possible if he needed to replace Blake at all during the season.
Especially when They went from Nuss to Kiffin... so Coker should've been the one holding the clipboard last year... Good observation!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I think the clip board holder, in this case, was at least the #3 guy based on the rotation last year. I don't think it gives him a leg up on the race this year except for the fact he probably knows the plays better.

Blake Sims proved CLK could play him at a pretty high level with a "hurry up to the line and let the coach call the play" approach. So, I suspect the coaches are looking for the guy who can at least do that this year.

But if he's got the talent to play the position at a high level AND he knows the plays...it could be an advantage. JMHO.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Last year during pre-game warmups, I noticed several times CLK would walk across to Morris and chat. The only other QB I noticed him doing it with was Sims. Usually the chats were about a minute or a little longer and seemed serious. Occasionally CLK walked over to Morris and there was a brief exchange, and both walked away laughing.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
First post of the season! I have been watching very closely that of the QB comments, and I also am skeptical of many reports and even stats on QB's in the spring/summer/fall because while yes there is some defensive pressure, our QB's are always Black Jerseys, thus HANDS OFF! The biggest rub in the past year plus with Coker was his ability to think and react quickly and the reality, we STILL DON'T KNOW! Jake has good tools and I know spent the summer working with a QB guru and has improved tremendously. However, with the younger QB's they might make mistakes but at least we have them for the remainder of their careers! With Coker, we're building all over again next year. If Coker doesn't show that he's WAYYY ahead of the curve against Wisonsin, I still say put Barnett and/or Bateman in and let them run with it. I'm even okay with Alec Morris as we'd still have him for another year! I don't like QB competitions going into the season!

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Unfortunately, there are plenty of high schools out there that don't have the caliber of coaching that will develop proper QB techniques and skills.
Its not that as much as it is High School teams going to the HUNH offense ala Auburn, TCU, Baylor and Oregon. That offense is becoming prevalent here in Texas with the High Schools here. Its why you see Baylor and TCU always having good QB's for the past several years. They recruit in state and bring in a QB that already pretty much knows the offense and Briles and Patterson aren't afraid to start Freshman due to it. By the time their QB's get to be Juniors or even Seniors, they are usually Heisman candidates like we saw with RG3 (he won it) and then Bryce Petty and now Trevone Boykin and Seth Russell. Its not that these schools have magically become QB factories, its just that they recruit QB's who come in and seamlessly run their offensive systems without a hitch.

In other words, if you're a College team that runs a traditional pro-set style offense, a lot of QB's coming out of High School (at least here in Texas) have a hard time adjusting. High School teams are all about tempo these days. Its go fast fast fast and more fast. The faster the better.

And I think that the HUNH offense tends to mask a QB's shortcomings. Meaning it makes them look better then they actually are and it always inflates their statistics too.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

Good point I have not thought about it either. I just have to believe if Coker has not separated himself by now it is not going to happen just my opinion of course.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Its not that as much as it is High School teams going to the HUNH offense ala Auburn, TCU, Baylor and Oregon. That offense is becoming prevalent here in Texas with the High Schools here. Its why you see Baylor and TCU always having good QB's for the past several years. They recruit in state and bring in a QB that already pretty much knows the offense and Briles and Patterson aren't afraid to start Freshman due to it. By the time their QB's get to be Juniors or even Seniors, they are usually Heisman candidates like we saw with RG3 (he won it) and then Bryce Petty and now Trevone Boykin and Seth Russell. Its not that these schools have magically become QB factories, its just that they recruit QB's who come in and seamlessly run their offensive systems without a hitch.

In other words, if you're a College team that runs a traditional pro-set style offense, a lot of QB's coming out of High School (at least here in Texas) have a hard time adjusting. High School teams are all about tempo these days. Its go fast fast fast and more fast. The faster the better.

And I think that the HUNH offense tends to mask a QB's shortcomings. Meaning it makes them look better then they actually are and it always inflates their statistics too.

While I completely agree that the HUNH offense has proven its worth, over the past two years defenses have done an amazing job of catching up. You have noticed a distinctive shift in the types of players the defenses are recruiting and Bama is a prime example. Gone for the most part are the PLUGS on the "D" line ala Mount Cody and in are the big, lean and fast guys who can disrupt the offense by getting into the backfield quicker! Like all offenses, this will eventually and has already started to MORPH into a combination of HUNH and a running game. While TCU and Baylor have built great teams and I especially like TCU because Patterson believes strongly in a good "D", those two offenses wouldn't be nearly as good if they played 7 SEC games because our defenses are so much quicker and faster. Today's offense has to be MULTIPLE to beat a great "D"!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.