Ricky Towns/USC transfer...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Read today they conditioned his release on not being able to sign with Bama. Anybody got any insight on this? They're not on the schedule are they?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I doubt he would have interest in us anyway. Didn't he back out of his verbal committment to us once we hired Lane Kiffin as OC?
I don't know much about the young man, but backing out of a commitment to Alabama merely because CLK was hired, and then quitting USC before the season has even started, does not speak well for the young man and his understanding of his place in the universe.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Senior moment. ...
Earle, maybe you were recalling when another USC QB, Jimmy Jones from up my way, thought about transferring to 'Bama because of on-the-field "hospitality" he experienced in 1970?...

By the way, the 13-year-old QB whiz kid Kiffin got a commitment from and who also blew off USC to take his talents elsewhere, is at least competing as a true freshman to be the starter at West Virginia.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Given our depth I doubt he would have considered Bama. Between Bateman and Barnett he'd be in too much of a competition for PT. He's going to look for a decent QB coach at a school where he can play in 17 (since he has to sit in 16).

WPS

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 14, 2015
Bet he ends up at Florida. Saw where he's considering them and Arkansas.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Read today they conditioned his release on not being able to sign with Bama. Anybody got any insight on this? They're not on the schedule are they?
One thing I don't like is when Universities are able to tell someone where they can transfer and compete.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I believe he ranked below Barnett, anyway. In fact, I believe BB committed after Town's decomit...
Yes, this turned out very well for Alabama. I think it went something like, Towns committed, Alabama got Kiffin, Towns decommitted, Alabama got Blake Barnett.
One thing I don't like is when Universities are able to tell someone where they can transfer and compete.
Well, especially given the four year scholarship and the SEC signing limit thing, I kind of get the logic. Back when all it came down to was a one year scholarship, that could be lost at any point, and no other obligations, I'd see that line of though to a greater extent.

However, now the universities have to commit a lot to a kid that can ultimately just walk away at any point.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My understanding is he had a relationship with Nuss --- and when Nuss left for Michigan, that's what changed Town's mind...not the hiring of CLK, per se.

It did work out better for Bama.

I also agree it doesn't look good for a player to keep jumping around from team to team....and for that reason I hope he doesn't land at UF.

Last edited:

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
no worries Earle- I thought that was odd too until I realized that we open next year with them. Besides, I'm not too sure Town is a game changer anyway. Chances are BB will be a redshirt freshman next year and possibly the starter.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
My understanding is he had a relationship with Nuss --- and when Nuss left for Michigan, that's what changed Town's mind...not the hiring of Kiffin, per se.

It did work out better for Bama.

I also agree it doesn't look good for a player to keep jumping around from team to team....and for that reason I hope he doesn't land at UF.
I remember what it was like being 18. Kids like him have people pulling at them from all sides and can be easily swayed. I think with good coaching and leadership he'd get at UF, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I remember what it was like being 18. Kids like him have people pulling at them from all sides and can be easily swayed. I think with good coaching and leadership he'd get at UF, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Good point, Cullman.

We'll see what happens. Either way I wish the kid well with no hard feelings on his decision.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.