Heart palpitations

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I went through several different prescribed meds before finding the ones that worked right for me. I'm now on a combination of Meloxicam and Amlodopine which together keep my BP exactly where it should be.
The meloxicam (Mobic) is an NSAID and has nothing to do with BP at all. It's for inflammation, usually osteoarthritis. The problem is that it can, long term, damage your kidneys and actually cause hypertension. Unless you really need it for joint pain, etc., it's not a good med to be on long term. Once again, I defer to Staci...

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Earle, the longer I practice medicine, the more wary I am of most medications. You're correct. The meloxicam is the lesser of the evils available for pain management, but it comes with its side effects. Like all meds, it should only be used at the lowest effective dose and for as short a time as possible.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The meloxicam (Mobic) is an NSAID and has nothing to do with BP at all. It's for inflammation, usually osteoarthritis. The problem is that it can, long term, damage your kidneys and actually cause hypertension. Unless you really need it for joint pain, etc., it's not a good med to be on long term. Once again, I defer to Staci...
I'm sorry, I misspoke. I am taking Meloxicam, but that is to help with the joint pain associated with my knees. It's Losartan that I'm taking in conjunction with Amlodopine for my HBP.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm sorry, I misspoke. I am taking Meloxicam, but that is to help with the joint pain associated with my knees. It's Losartan that I'm taking in conjunction with Amlodopine for my HBP.
That's a good combination. One is a angiotensis reuptake blocker (ARB). I take a drug in the same class - telmisartan. The other is a calcium channel blocker and they don't conflict or augment in any way I can think of. Good combination, if you need both. Staci?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Losartan is a receptor blocker, not a reuptake blocker, but, yes, good (old) drug. Helps to relax the resistance (pressure) in the peripheral vasculature. The amlodipine is important for its renal protection. Kidneys don't like high blood pressure and the specific lowering of blood pressure in the renal vasculature is imperative over the long run for folks with hypertension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.