Heart palpitations

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Good to check it out. I'm due for a checkup myself as I've been having more runs of tachycardia the past few months. The doctor probably mentioned PVC's which usually are benign, but you want to make sure you're not having an irregular rhythm or atrial fibrillation. My tachycardia first started when I was 30. I had one episode, then not again until I was 40. Now I'm 47, perimenopausal, and it occurs a few times a month. I've nearly fainted a couple of times and have had to apply pressure to my carotid notch a few times (while with a patient - embarrassing!), so it's time for a Holter monitor to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

Anyway, get it checked out, then prepare to have the issue off and on as you age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife has SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). She's ended up in the ER several times. Thank goodness the medication and a few other changes have it under control. She drinks less with caffeine and stays better hydrated, eases into activity, changes positions slowly, etc...

One time she called me at work and was faint and had to lie down on the front porch. I called 911 on another line. The volunteer rescue squad showed up and kept saying "your pulse is fine". I tried to explain to check the apical pulse, but it just didn't register. I had the 911 operator tell the paramedics from the ambulance service to check her apical and he said it was over 200 (240 by the monitor once they got her hooked up). On a third line I had called my dad to have him go to the house because my wife was on the front porch waiting on the bus to bring home our 8 and 5 year olds. As soon as the scene there was handled I left work for the hospital. When I came to the door of her room they were injecting the last dose of adenosine and were preparing to shock her if it didn't work. Thankfully, after about a 5 second pause her heart rate dropped from the previous 248 down to 90 so she avoided being shocked while awake. That would have been most unpleasant. We live in a small town and in short time the word was she was on cocaine and had overdosed. Everything that happens in a small town happens because of dope, after all. :rolleyes:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Sorry to rehash this thread, but I'm still having these PVC's. I'm wandering if I need to start taking the beta blockers? She prescribed Atenolol, but I haven't started taking it yet. I'm going on vacation in two weeks so I was trying to hold off to see if a little relaxation would help, but I am thinking I need to start them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry to rehash this thread, but I'm still having these PVC's. I'm wandering if I need to start taking the beta blockers? She prescribed Atenolol, but I haven't started taking it yet. I'm going on vacation in two weeks so I was trying to hold off to see if a little relaxation would help, but I am thinking I need to start them.
They may help. If they don't, there are other meds which may. This is sort of the first step. They will put a ceiling on your heart rate, so if you need to hurry somewhere, you may find yourself out of breath a bit. They have a way of inhibiting libido. I don't know if that's important to you or not...

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
They may help. If they don't, there are other meds which may. This is sort of the first step. They will put a ceiling on your heart rate, so if you need to hurry somewhere, you may find yourself out of breath a bit. They have a way of inhibiting libido. I don't know if that's important to you or not...
No, I'm not concerned with that aspect of it. I just worry about having to take them for a long time. I mean how do I know if I can wean off them?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
You take it to see if it improves the issue. If so, and you tolerate it well, there's no problem with prolonged use. Typically, however, palpitations and PVC's tend to come and go over time. If you need a full cardiac work up, your doc will send you for one, but PVC's are normally just an annoyance.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Four years ago I was in the hospital (in the town we lived in at the time) with an infection and a cardiologist comes in and tells me I have a-fib. Puts me on three BP meds and Cardura to regulate my heart. Said i would be on this the rest of my life. Once I was out of the hospital he sent me to a sleep clinic where I am told I have sleep apnea. He tells me I must rush out and buy a CPAP machine. Three days after starting it, that thing was in the back of the closet.

Fast forward to now. Last week I was helping set up for a trade show and just about couldn't function. For the last four years I have been paying money hand over fist for these medications and have had frequent episodes of extreme dizziness, but only when I stand up. Last Monday I was in such bad shape I called Mrs. VJ and asked her to get me in to see my new cardiologist, who I've only seen once since we moved here in June 2014. They were able to get me in that day. At the convention center, on the way to my car I threw up all over the parking lot. It was painfully obvious something wasn't right.

When I got to the Dr. Office I told the nurse what my issue had been. She took my BP sitting down and it was 90/71 (low). Then she asked me to stand up and it was 82/64. It dropped that much just from me standing.

Dr. comes in and asks me who put me on all this medicine. I told him and he couldn't believe it. So they did an EKG while I was there and he said the results indicate I do not have a-fib nor do I have sleep apnea. I had told him about this othrr guy's mad rush to put me on a CPAP and he said some docs are pushing that because it's a money maker.

To be sure he had me come back this week for an ultrasound. The technician worked me over for about 45 minutes and wouldn't tell me the results but said I don't have anything to wory about.

All the meds I have been on the last four years had dropped my BP into dangerous territory. I am glad I went to the cardiologist when I did and now all I'm taking is one for cholesterol and one for triglycerides.

I guess the point of all this for Jessica is to listen to your body but before someone puts you on a bunch of medication it may be wise to get another opinion. The lesson I learned was that there's apparently a lot of money to be made by prescribing (and over prescribing in my case). Since I got off all that crap I have been fine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Believe it or not, I've been married to, and ushered two women, through menopause. One was very premature and the other very delayed. (married to my present wife for 29 years in three days)...
Congrats on the aniversary.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Well, actually I have been raising ruckuses for several years. But, seeminly no one connected the dots. At my last visit to my primary a month or so ago he said it (dizziness) was probably just from getting a little older and my body can't adjust as quickly. Said I need to stand up slower. (Seriously)

Thank God the nurse at my cadiologist's took two BP readings. I didn't know if it was something physiological. My world is filled with people my age and older and I don't know of anyone else having these issues.

I am now off Amlodipine, Bystolic, and Doxazosin. I don't know why all the docs I have seen couldn't put two and two together to figure that out when they saw everything I was taking.

Being the good Googler I am, I looked up low BP and ran across a condition called orthostatic hypotension which precisely described what my symptons were. Hopefuly that is out of my life now.

Sorry Jessica didn't mean to steal your thread. :)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, actually I have been raising ruckuses for several years. But, seeminly no one connected the dots. At my last visit to my primary a month or so ago he said it (dizziness) was probably just from getting a little older and my body can't adjust as quickly. Said I need to stand up slower. (Seriously)

Thank God the nurse at my cadiologist's took two BP readings. I didn't know if it was something physiological. My world is filled with people my age and older and I don't know of anyone else having these issues.

I am now off Amlodipine, Bystolic, and Doxazosin. I don't know why all the docs I have seen couldn't put two and two together to figure that out when they saw everything I was taking.

Being the good Googler I am, I looked up low BP and ran across a condition called orthostatic hypotension which precisely described what my symptons were. Hopefuly that is out of my life now.

Sorry Jessica didn't mean to steal your thread. :)
Well, it does become more frequent with age, but, normally, that means great age, when it can cause injury, when person faints as a result. Glad yours turned out to be med-related. Staci can correct me if wrong, but in younger people, it's frequently cardiac insufficiency, which it appears you don't have...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
VJ - thanks for sharing that story and glad you got the situation straightened out! :wink:

Jessica - hope you feel better after your vaca - keep us posted, please and take care...:)

Earle and Reb....happy anniversary......VERY impressive! :cool:

Cheers,
Baz

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Four years ago I was in the hospital (in the town we lived in at the time) with an infection and a cardiologist comes in and tells me I have a-fib. Puts me on three BP meds and Cardura to regulate my heart. Said i would be on this the rest of my life. Once I was out of the hospital he sent me to a sleep clinic where I am told I have sleep apnea. He tells me I must rush out and buy a CPAP machine. Three days after starting it, that thing was in the back of the closet.

Fast forward to now. Last week I was helping set up for a trade show and just about couldn't function. For the last four years I have been paying money hand over fist for these medications and have had frequent episodes of extreme dizziness, but only when I stand up. Last Monday I was in such bad shape I called Mrs. VJ and asked her to get me in to see my new cardiologist, who I've only seen once since we moved here in June 2014. They were able to get me in that day. At the convention center, on the way to my car I threw up all over the parking lot. It was painfully obvious something wasn't right.

When I got to the Dr. Office I told the nurse what my issue had been. She took my BP sitting down and it was 90/71 (low). Then she asked me to stand up and it was 82/64. It dropped that much just from me standing.

Dr. comes in and asks me who put me on all this medicine. I told him and he couldn't believe it. So they did an EKG while I was there and he said the results indicate I do not have a-fib nor do I have sleep apnea. I had told him about this othrr guy's mad rush to put me on a CPAP and he said some docs are pushing that because it's a money maker.

To be sure he had me come back this week for an ultrasound. The technician worked me over for about 45 minutes and wouldn't tell me the results but said I don't have anything to wory about.

All the meds I have been on the last four years had dropped my BP into dangerous territory. I am glad I went to the cardiologist when I did and now all I'm taking is one for cholesterol and one for triglycerides.

I guess the point of all this for Jessica is to listen to your body but before someone puts you on a bunch of medication it may be wise to get another opinion. The lesson I learned was that there's apparently a lot of money to be made by prescribing (and over prescribing in my case). Since I got off all that crap I have been fine.

Good luck.
Before starting BP medication, I was prone to motion sickness, but since starting the medication, I become motion sick and/or dizzy much more easily (e.g. sitting in a chair that rocks or swivels). I also get headaches, which I essentially never had prior to BP medication. However, every BP reading I've had over the last 7 years since starting BP medication has been normal. Go figure!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before starting BP medication, I was prone to motion sickness, but since starting the medication, I become motion sick and/or dizzy much more easily (e.g. sitting in a chair that rocks or swivels). I also get headaches, which I essentially never had prior to BP medication. However, every BP reading I've had over the last 7 years since starting BP medication has been normal. Go figure!
You could ask your MD to prescribe a different BP med, since there are several types. Some work for some people, but not for others...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
You could ask your MD to prescribe a different BP med, since there are several types. Some work for some people, but not for others...
I went through several different prescribed meds before finding the ones that worked right for me. I'm now on a combination of Meloxicam and Amlodopine which together keep my BP exactly where it should be.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
VJ, you need a new PCP. Any doctor seeing a patient complaining of your symptoms who doesn't check for orthostasis isn't worth his salt. I'm a psychiatrist and I often will take patients with that complaint back to the nurse for vitals (lying, sitting, and standing) because I prescribe meds that can have that as a side effect. No doctor prescribing antihypertensives should blow you off by telling you to stand up slower. Holy cow!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.