Heart palpitations

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
So I did end up going to the local clinic here since they have an EKG machine. She said that looked great (like a healthy teenager she said :)). Of course during the 10 second test I didn't have any fluttering, but she listened to me for a couple minutes while testing my heart rate, and I had two or three episodes then. She called it some technical term (three letter abbreviation I think) where the ventricle opens early then everything else catches up. I hope I'm explaining that correctly. She said it was nothing to be worried about that is was common, but she did prescribe some mild beta-blockers to see it that helps. If not, I have to go back, and she will have to refer me to a cardiologist. Heart rate was 73 and blood pressure was like 113/70 so she didn't seem to be concerned about it.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
So I did end up going to the local clinic here since they have an EKG machine. She said that looked great (like a healthy teenager she said :)). Of course during the 10 second test I didn't have any fluttering, but she listened to me for a couple minutes while testing my heart rate, and I had two or three episodes then. She called it some technical term (three letter abbreviation I think) where the ventricle opens early then everything else catches up. I hope I'm explaining that correctly. She said it was nothing to be worried about that is was common, but she did prescribe some mild beta-blockers to see it that helps. If not, I have to go back, and she will have to refer me to a cardiologist. Heart rate was 73 and blood pressure was like 113/70 so she didn't seem to be concerned about it.
Thanks for doing the right thing!:) We all feel better now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Medical slang for it is "V-tachy." (ventricular tachycardia) It is common and I've had some all my life. As long as they don't persist, or become too frequent, they're not a danger in themselves...

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Thank you for the kind words. Our little Maltese, Macy, passed away after a rough weekend with seizures, which she never had any till Saturday morning. Vet thinks it was a brain tumor, but we don't know for sure. She died a little after midnight Tuesday morning so not much sleep that night so I was wandering if that had something to do with my palpitations. But it had been doing it all last week before this happened so who knows. It became worse yesterday.

Sorry that you lost Macy; glad that you are OK.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Medical slang for it is "V-tachy." (ventricular tachycardia) It is common and I've had some all my life. As long as they don't persist, or become too frequent, they're not a danger in themselves...
That's great to hear. Do you recommend taking the beta blocker or wait it out to see if they get less persistent?

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Happy over your diagnosis. Sorry about your loss. Also, it occurred to me that the doc might have said "PVC." (premature ventricular contraction)
Thank you!

Yes, that was the abbreviation she gave. It is basically the same thing you mentioned earlier?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thank you!

Yes, that was the abbreviation she gave. It is basically the same thing you mentioned earlier?
It is. It's when, rather than waiting its turn, the left ventricle, the main pumping chamber, contracts and pumps before the other chambers have fed it the necessary blood and the electrical signals are garbled in the proper order. I used to be inclined towards them if I lay on my right side. About ten years ago, I had to have a liver biopsy. If anyone can avoid this procedure, they should. They basically run a long needle between a couple of ribs on the right side and right on into the liver, sort of like being skewered alive without anesthesia. Afterwards, I had to lie on my right side for a couple of hours, to avoid bleeding. I started throwing PVCs. I said aloud "stop it." A nurse overheard and asked why I said that. I told her and they hooked me up to an ECG machine, as soon as the rest period was over, as a CYA measure on their part. The PVCs showed up and then tapered off. (They're very distinctive on an ECG.) If it's any comfort, they disappeared as I aged. I think yours are just stress and your time off, and time, will likely free you of them...

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
Sorry you lost Macy. She most certainly had a good life, but it's still hard to say goodbye. As for the PVCs, the first time I had them my PCP sent me for a test that turned out to cost over $600 -- not covered by insurance. Ouch! The (only) humor of it is that I worked for an insurance company and part of my job was to educate people on how to use the health care system, including asking the cost and possible outcome of procedures before they are done. I should have known better and, after that, I did.

The PVCs still occur to this day 20 years later when I'm under a lot of stress, only at night. Lying on my stomach helps calm them. I chose not to continue the beta blockers. It's a personal decision. Good wishes to you.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Sorry you lost Macy. She most certainly had a good life, but it's still hard to say goodbye. As for the PVCs, the first time I had them my PCP sent me for a test that turned out to cost over $600 -- not covered by insurance. Ouch! The (only) humor of it is that I worked for an insurance company and part of my job was to educate people on how to use the health care system, including asking the cost and possible outcome of procedures before they are done. I should have known better and, after that, I did.

The PVCs still occur to this day 20 years later when I'm under a lot of stress, only at night. Lying on my stomach helps calm them. I chose not to continue the beta blockers. It's a personal decision. Good wishes to you.
My wife and sometimes myself have palpitations. I associate it with posture. Sleeping on the left side with a stack of pillows. Sitting at a desk with head propped up on left hand. Anything that stretches the body to the left.

Always a good idea to check to see if insurance will pay for the procedure. I discovered this after paying $1200 for a pill camera scope.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

My PCP put me on them years ago, when I was still playing basketball. Of course the beta blockers made it impossible, just couldn't breathe. Also, I was on metoprolol, 25mg, after my first stent back in early 2012. I stayed on it for about a year. There's no study indicating that they really help. It's just habit with most cardiologists to prescribe them for a while out of habit...

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Good to check it out. I'm due for a checkup myself as I've been having more runs of tachycardia the past few months. The doctor probably mentioned PVC's which usually are benign, but you want to make sure you're not having an irregular rhythm or atrial fibrillation. My tachycardia first started when I was 30. I had one episode, then not again until I was 40. Now I'm 47, perimenopausal, and it occurs a few times a month. I've nearly fainted a couple of times and have had to apply pressure to my carotid notch a few times (while with a patient - embarrassing!), so it's time for a Holter monitor to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

Anyway, get it checked out, then prepare to have the issue off and on as you age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Good to check it out. I'm due for a checkup myself as I've been having more runs of tachycardia the past few months. The doctor probably mentioned PVC's which usually are benign, but you want to make sure you're not having an irregular rhythm or atrial fibrillation. My tachycardia first started when I was 30. I had one episode, then not again until I was 40. Now I'm 47, perimenopausal, and it occurs a few times a month. I've nearly fainted a couple of times and have had to apply pressure to my carotid notch a few times (while with a patient - embarrassing!), so it's time for a Holter monitor to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

Anyway, get it checked out, then prepare to have the issue off and on as you age.

So I Googled "perimenopausal", and now I feel like I understand what I'm experiencing with my wife...sigh.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
So I Googled "perimenopausal", and now I feel like I understand what I'm experiencing with my wife...sigh.
My husband has been given permission to be gone from the house for extended periods of time. Bless his heart, he's got me and two teenaged daughters in the house. Plus he's a barner! He needs alone time. Ha-ha!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Believe it or not, I've been married to, and ushered two women, through menopause. One was very premature and the other very delayed. (married to my present wife for 29 years in three days)...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.