Link: LSU S Jalen Mills Fractures Fibula, Out 4-6 Weeks

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

LSU suffered a major blow to its defense when safety Jalen Mills suffered a fractured fibula in Wednesday's morning practice, sources told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune.

LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette confirmed that Mills was injured but would not specify the nature of the injury. Mills, a four-year starter and leader in the secondary, is expected to be out four to six weeks.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I'm not an expert, but 4-6 weeks seems a bit quick.

Hate it for him. Never want someone injured.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was thinking the same. That's a major injury. He may be able to get around again by 6 weeks, but I doubt he's ready to play. Of course, these guys have access to the best care and training.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
From what I'm seeing on Twitter, apparently they're loaded at DB, so, as good as he is, they can probably absorb the loss better at that position than at most others...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As we know, the fibula is not a weight bearing bone. That said, if the fracture is low, it can take a lot longer to heal sufficiently for an athlete to make some moves without risking re-injury. If the fracture is near the middle of the fibula, the recovery time is generally pretty fast, even for football players (4-6 weeks is about right).

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I'm not an expert, but 4-6 weeks seems a bit quick.

Hate it for him. Never want someone injured.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
So here's some personal experience with this. My son broke his foot so I got to inquiring as to why someone like Kenyan Drake with a nasty break was up moving around on his broke leg and my son was in a danged boot for so long. I asked a cousin who is a trainer at College of Charleston. Basically he said that once the screws are healed the titanium plate that is in there is bearing the weight and therefore the player can put their full weight on it. Mills probably doesn't have the full break and could walk on it now. Putting the plate on would get him to being able to run sooner.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
So here's some personal experience with this. My son broke his foot so I got to inquiring as to why someone like Kenyan Drake with a nasty break was up moving around on his broke leg and my son was in a danged boot for so long. I asked a cousin who is a trainer at College of Charleston. Basically he said that once the screws are healed the titanium plate that is in there is bearing the weight and therefore the player can put their full weight on it. Mills probably doesn't have the full break and could walk on it now. Putting the plate on would get him to being able to run sooner.

Also, the University has a full staff and top of the line rehab tools (i.e., whirlpools, cryotherapy chambers, etc) that you or I do not have access to on a daily basis. These tools help with recovery at a faster rate than your typical patient. Full staff and Dr's, trainers, etc fretting over the payer 24/7 makes for a quick recovery time, as well.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Also, the University has a full staff and top of the line rehab tools (i.e., whirlpools, cryotherapy chambers, etc) that you or I do not have access to on a daily basis. These tools help with recovery at a faster rate than your typical patient. Full staff and Dr's, trainers, etc fretting over the payer 24/7 makes for a quick recovery time, as well.
I'll have to refute that one. I accused the cousin of his profession having little secrets that they used to heal athletes quicker and he said with bone, there is no tricks. I just has to heal. In my particular case, my son being immature the Dr is going to be overly cautious. With a fully mature college athlete they can take a few more "risks".

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Update

Jalen Mills’ injury is more severe than first thought.

Mills, a senior starting safety, had surgery on his injured lower leg, coach Les Miles said on Tuesday. A source said the surgery pushes back the timeline for his return to “at least” six weeks, likely putting Mills available, at the earliest, for the Oct. 10 against South Carolina.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
It may be just me, but I think LSU is really going to struggle this year.
Aside from QB, they are returning a good amount of talent. If they can get decent QB play, it would open room for LF. Not sure how their depth is at safety if Mills is out an extended amount of time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.