So Gus won't cuss? WTH?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
the priest at my church was playing in a tennis tournament years ago (he was a really good athlete who had played football in college) with a guy who played college tennis and they were losing pretty badly.

the priest asked the guy why he was playing so tight and he told the priest that he normally cursed a lot during the match, but that he was holding back because he didn't want to offend the priest.

the priest told him to let if fly...they won the whole thing.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
My wife and I raise our two grandchildren. We don't cuss unless I get very upset but I have a friend who cusses every other word it seems. When he comes over and starts talking (cussing) I've instructed my grandchildren to cover their ears and scream. It works, he doesn't talk near as much unless he has something worth while to say.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
the priest at my church was playing in a tennis tournament years ago (he was a really good athlete who had played football in college) with a guy who played college tennis and they were losing pretty badly.

the priest asked the guy why he was playing so tight and he told the priest that he normally cursed a lot during the match, but that he was holding back because he didn't want to offend the priest.

That is funny.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A also respect him for it, but not sure that it is something that I would mention in public unless the hope was that the greater exposure of the goal might lead to greater accountability, hence greater compliance.

I curse too much, and I don't curse much at all. My kids used to hold me accountable, but they are teens now so I have to be the one calming their language. Accountability helps.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
That is funny.
true story too.

he was a good guy...died real young from a massive heart attack at like 50.

he was such a "guy's guy" (athletic, good looking, didn't mind knocking back a few cold ones every now and again) that it was hard to believe he became a priest.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is old news. Here's an article about it from January 2014. Link

Gus Malzahn gets angry from time to time, but he always keeps it clean.

The Auburn coach's personality might be bland in front of the media, but he is excitable on the football field, and meticulous and calculated in his preparations and decisions.

"I have never heard him say a word that would be offensive to anyone, but the thing about it is, what he says, his words and his deeds match up," Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs said. "That develops respect and thereby develops trust."

Malzahn loves his players, and he keeps it clean when he is upset.

"I don't know if any of you have ever been chewed out by someone who doesn't cuss," Auburn center Reese Dismukes said. "It's way worse. I would much rather be cussed out 10 times out of 10 than being yelled at by coach Malzahn."

Malzahn lights up television screens with his trademark yelling, quick hand motions and a few quick upward tugs on his belt. He makes it a point to throw a windmill punch into the air while yelling "Boom!" after big touchdown plays

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I've never been in an athletic situation, even as a youth, that didn't have some sort of strong language in it. If that's his prerogative, then by all means do what you like...but I don't think there's anything wrong with letting emotions out in that type of four lettered adjectives.

As for me personally, I work in an industry where most people have the mouths of sailors. It is infectious, and I use the same language most of the time. I also have three kids, and know how to censor myself in situations where I feel like it's disrespectful to talk that way. I just don't feel the sports world is a place you want to censor people. To each his own.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm reminded of that comedy skit where someone has an anger translator standing over their shoulder explaining in blue language what the nice talking person really meant.

In this example, Gus is too nice to cuss his players, but when they need a cussing I'm sure Muschamp will be ready to fill in for him. :rolleyes:

If anybody thinks Gus is too high-minded to allow Muschamp to cuss while coaching under him... I'd bet the farm Muschamp is still cussing.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

I've known a priest or two in my day that would let loose with language you wouldn't expect. Not the really hard stuff, but definitely stronger than heck or darn. In my experience, they may frown on bad language, but they're generally pretty hard to offend.

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
Well I think Gus is a DA he said they should have hung 60 on Bama? Does he know anything about social media? It has gone viral again what a DA.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, if this story is true then I DO respect Gus for having values and trying to influence with them - but I just don't think it's overly realistic, either. Even if he has a no cussing policy - do you REALLY think he can enforce that on his players on the sidelines or out in the heat of battle?

A lot of times you say stuff in the heat of emotion that you don't really mean or that just comes out in rage. That's a lot different than idiots (or God forbid, so-called comedians) who use it every other word and it doesn't even make sense. (George Carlin was a phenomenally funny comedian WITHOUT that stuff - but up until his last ten years or so, even the profanity he used was dramatically effective - he became a caricature after 2000 or so).

So yeah, Gus, I'm all for that if you can do it. It isn't going to make me pull for Aw-bunn, but I respect ya, yes.

(Remember Bill McCartney, the founder of that Promise Keepers men's group back in the 90s? He was the head coach at Colorado when they won the national title, and he cursed like a sailor. In fact, he said he had more than one Christian seriously ask him how he could call himself one with some of the things he said on the field. While he didn't stop, he was at least man enough to consider whether or not the objector had a valid point).

Charleston

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 4, 2015
Are do-do and pee-pee cuss words? My HS coach swore not to cuss either so when he was angry he would jump around like Yosemite Sam and yell do-do and pee-pee over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.