So Gus won't cuss? WTH?

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I admit to being puzzled. Are we supposed to be angry or something at Malzahn for attempting to de-stink the cesspool that is Awbarn athletics and football in specific?

He should be encouraged for any behavior that makes that place less of a slimepit.

My opinion only.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Are do-do and pee-pee cuss words? My HS coach swore not to cuss either so when he was angry he would jump around like Yosemite Sam and yell do-do and pee-pee over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i think i would find that more disturbing than hearing a string of expletives

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I thought the contrast in coaching styles was pretty extreme between Gus and Saban. I'm real happy with Saban's approach...to me his blue language is one of his endearing qualities. I understand some prefer other people that consider themselves above using cuss words. Each to his own.

Another contrast between the two coaches...Saban will never take a dig or cheap shot at any rival. He will not provide bulletin board material, period. Even when a little of it would absolutely thrill some of his Bama fans, and I respect that. Gus, on the other hand, seems to enjoy taking little digs at the competition...we should have put 60 on them...I guess I could point out how noble of him it is that he can insult us and refrain from profanity at the same time.

I'll take Saban, potty mouth and all, every day of the week.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I thought the contrast in coaching styles was pretty extreme between Gus and Saban. I'm real happy with Saban's approach...to me his blue language is one of his endearing qualities. I understand some prefer other people that consider themselves above using cuss words. Each to his own.

Another contrast between the two coaches...Saban will never take a dig or cheap shot at any rival. He will not provide bulletin board material, period. Even when a little of it would absolutely thrill some of his Bama fans, and I respect that. Gus, on the other hand, seems to enjoy taking little digs at the competition...we should have put 60 on them...I guess I could point out how noble of him it is that he can insult us and refrain from profanity at the same time.

I'll take Saban, potty mouth and all, every day of the week.
I agree with you. I just don't have a problem with a coach trying to curb the foul language in the environment that he is responsible for.

However, I don't think I could respect a man who yelled doo-doo and pee-pee whenever he was upset (referring to Charleston's post above). I'd respect the guy more if he just cursed like a sailor.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I agree with you. I just don't have a problem with a coach trying to curb the foul language in the environment that he is responsible for.
I appreciate what you are saying...there was a time when the barner coach was fair game to mock here on Tidefans, I'd like to think he still is...

It's not a big deal to me, but I agree with Selma that trying to keep cuss words off the field is simply unrealistic...
Look, if this story is true then I DO respect Gus for having values and trying to influence with them - but I just don't think it's overly realistic, either. Even if he has a no cussing policy - do you REALLY think he can enforce that on his players on the sidelines or out in the heat of battle?
But as I've tried to suggest...if Gus is too pure to allow cussing going on in his environment, then I would expect him to instruct Muschamp to stop cussing. And good luck with that. :rolleyes:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I appreciate what you are saying...there was a time when the barner coach was fair game to mock here on Tidefans, I'd like to think he still is...

It's not a big deal to me, but I agree with Selma that trying to keep cuss words off the field is simply unrealistic...

But as I've tried to suggest...if Gus is too pure to allow cussing going on in his environment, then I would expect him to instruct Muschamp to stop cussing. And good luck with that. :rolleyes:
jmho, but i think gus is trying to get in on some of the action that st. richt has going.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good grief, how on earth did a few of us respecting Gus for this turn into which coach you prefer on Bama's sideline?

I don't think any Tide fan would trade Saban for anybody...
If you ain't hatin' any-and every-thing Barn-related, you're hatin' everything Bama-related. Obviously.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Good grief, how on earth did a few of us respecting Gus for this turn into which coach you prefer on Bama's sideline?

I don't think any Tide fan would trade Saban for anybody...
Maybe I wasn't clear enough for you to understand...

There has been a longstanding tradition of mocking the current barner coach here on Tidefans. When I saw Gus was one of these people who are above cussing on the football field, I thought what the heck, go for it.

Since our own coach, and Gus's famous DC are well known for cussing...it seemed a legitimate topic to compare the two. I would like to think there have even been a few people who actually enjoyed the thread. But I am a seasoned enough poster here to realize there will be people who will disagree with whatever might be posted, that's what makes this board interesting to me.

Our coach chews players butts on the field, Gus chews gum instead.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Maybe I wasn't clear enough for you to understand...

There has been a longstanding tradition of mocking the current barner coach here on Tidefans. When I saw Gus was one of these people who are above cussing on the football field, I thought what the heck, go for it.

Since our own coach, and Gus's famous DC are well known for cussing...it seemed a legitimate topic to compare the two. I would like to think there have even been a few people who actually enjoyed the thread. But I am a seasoned enough poster here to realize there will be people who will disagree with whatever might be posted, that's what makes this board interesting to me.

Our coach chews players butts on the field, Gus chews gum instead.
Well that clears it up...

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
You took the words out of my mouth. I am sure I have seen him cussing officials. Gus is just two faced.
That's the problem some of us have about this silly issue. Gus cusses. Period.
He may not cuss as much as some, he may not say the "f" word or the "mf" word. Sure he may "prefer" to have a cuss-free football program, but he doesn't.

I didn't here the conversation the OP is speaking of so I don't know what Gus said or what the hosts said he said, but to think he is somehow a "better" man or morally superior because it has been said he "doesn't cuss", is just ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with the man "preferring" things to be cuss-free though.

bamaman2988

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 7, 2009
Eufaula, Al
That's the problem some of us have about this silly issue. Gus cusses. Period.
He may not cuss as much as some, he may not say the "f" word or the "mf" word. Sure he may "prefer" to have a cuss-free football program, but he doesn't.

I didn't here the conversation the OP is speaking of so I don't know what Gus said or what the hosts said he said, but to think he is somehow a "better" man or morally superior because it has been said he "doesn't cuss", is just ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with the man "preferring" things to be cuss-free though.
I agree but that is hard to live up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
My 1st thought to all of this was how is this gonna work with Muschamp on board? Muschamp was throwing the F bomb on the auburn sidelines long ago. Coach Lance Thompson told me personally Gus doesn't cuss and it's such a refreshing change ........ Huh, ok. Didn't know Coach Thompson would have felt that way.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.