So Gus won't cuss? WTH?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
With the season just around the corner, I find myself tuning in the radio sports shows and reading up here...the other day I heard a discussion on one of the statewide programs, I'm not sure who it was.

They explained Gus has a problem with cussing and prefers to have a cuss-free practice.

What The Heck is up with that?

They went on to speculate that Auburn's practices must be real special in that you have a head coach who prefers everybody talk real nice, while his genius DC is just the opposite. Muschamp learned to coach under Saban, and is not afraid to cuss his players. To say the least.

I'm trying to imagine a similar situation from the other side...a potential assistant coach is interviewing with Saban, and points out he prefers to not work around any profanity. :biggrin: :biggrin2:

In my humble opinion, trying to coach or play football without any cussing is just plain old silly. Let's hope we beat a few cuss words out of Gus when we play them in their house this season.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There's always going to be cussing in competitive sports with all the emotions, adrenaline, etc. I just don't like when it's every other word. Makes the person sound like they have a shallow vocabulary..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
That's one thing that I was always proud of Coach Bryant for: never cursed, never drank, never wore his hat indoors...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think it is all who the coach is. I had a jr. high coach that used substitute words instead of cussing us. We heard lots of goshdangits at practice, but he never did cuss. Then the high school coaches just let it rip with us. I would imagine some kids take this kind of thing different too. If you come from home life that cussing is part of it, you might need that to get going in practice, some kids may not like it at all.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
If he doesn't want to, more power to him. I had coaches that never cursed at us (except that one time I jammed the HC's finger as he was playing QB and he called me a DA. Guess who's nickname was DA the rest of the season). Now, he's not going to stop Muschamp. In the heat of battle, if Muschamp had a cuss jar, he'd put enough in there to re-sod the stadium every week.

asteele327

Jun 18, 2015
Bobby Johnson had a no-cussing policy when he was at Vandy. Anyone caught cussing during practice or games had to run stadiums. One game he cussed at the refs after a call didn't go their way, and the following week he was out there running stadiums to show his players that he was accountable too. Have to respect Gus if he sticks to his guns and holds all players and coaches accountable for this.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
So, let me see if I have this straight: Gus is the angelic choir boy getting a pat on the head, and Nick is the naughty little potty mouth sitting in the corner. Geez, I'm afraid to ask what else the barners need to make themselves feel superior.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.