So Gus won't cuss? WTH?

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I'm reminded of the Adam Ant song "Goody Two Shoes".

I couldn't care less if he uses expletives. It doesn't make him morally or mentally superior to anyone else. Unlike some people, I believe that expletives are a useful part of a vocabulary just as the exclamation point is a useful part of the written language. I try not to use them, for I consider them to be like antibiotics: their overuse reduces their efficacy. When I am having problems getting my children's attention, I try as hard as I can to simply use menacing gestures, higher volume, and an increase in the gutturality of my entreaties to convey my increasing frustration and simultaneously waning patience, but there are times when I reach that point that my organized assault devolves into a melee and I let slip one or more of the verba ingrata into the heretofore nonchalant ears of my progeny. The shocked silence that I invoke upon my realization of this breach is followed by the immediately salient attention and concerned visage of my children. They are not accustomed to hearing me speak like that and they come to the realization of the gravity of the moment. I then calmly repeat my question, instruction, or request and I more often than not get the response I desired. I then apologize for losing my temper and explain that my language was improper and I will work harder to control it in the future.

Extremist viewpoints typically have their exceptions, IMO, and while I do not use expletives as a general practice in communication, I do believe that the shock value of certain words do have value in our spoken and written language, but only within the most dire contexts. Certain words are like the cutting edge of a machete. Use them sparingly and carefully and they will retain their usefulness. Use them too often and outside their intended context, and they will quickly dull and lose their effectiveness. Words like "racist", "sexist", "homophobe", "radical", "extremist", "pedophile", "pervert", "fascist", "communist", etc were once pejoratives that were so deadly that the mere attachment of one of them to someone via accusation was analogous to a all-encompassing scarlet letter. The irresponsible, uncontrolled hyperbole of political groups and politicians have dulled almost all of them to the point that the leveling of one of them against a person is almost met with a derisive chuckle by most people today. The verbal assault of profanity upon society by media has blunted its effect for those with excessive exposure to it. But for one not immunized, it can still be employed, sparingly, to embolden speech that is making little impact.

The effect of profanity on those not accustomed to it was described by Robert Leckie in his book "Helmet for my Pillow". He describes being repulsed and shocked by it at first and puzzled at the ubiquity of it:

Robert Leckie said:
“How could they develop such facility with mere imprecation? This was no vituperation. It was only cursing, obscenity, blasphemy, profanity – none of which is ever profuse or original – yet it came sprouting out in an amazing variety.”

"Always there was the word. Always there was that four-letter ugly sound that men in uniform have expanded into the single substance of the linguistic world. It was a handle, a hyphen, a hyperbole; a verb, noun, modifier; yes, even conjunction. It described food, fatigue, metaphysics. It stood for everything and meant nothing; an insulting word, it was never used to insult; crudely descriptive of the sexual act, it was never used to describe it; base, it meant the best; ugly, it modified beauty; it was the name and the nomenclature of the voice of emptiness, but one heard it from chaplains and captains, from Pfc.'s and Ph.D.'s--until, finally, one could only surmise that if a visitor unacquainted with English were to overhear our conversations he would, in the way of the Higher Criticism, demonstrate by measurement and numerical incidence that this little word must assuredly be the thing for which we were fighting."
Despite many cinematic depictions of foul-mouthed GI's from WWII, I have heard from some who were there that profanity wasn't quite as dispassionately invoked as much as some movies and television series would make one think AFTER boot camp. Most admit that drill instructors used everything possible to intimidate and put stress on new boots, but this was done purposely to acclimate them to the constant stress that they would experience in combat and in some cases, to break those who had a low cracking threshold during training to prevent it from happening during combat when it could have much more significant consequences. Apparently the use of it declined throughout boot camp as the recruits adjusted to the stress and its shock value began to ebb.

During combat, a stray vulgarity might still be used as an indicator of emphasis, shock, or surprise or as a degradation of the enemy, but it apparently wasn't an explicitly intended part of most soldiers linguistic repertoire. Profanity became more of an involuntary verbal response linked to certain emotional transients and many soldiers said that it took them years after combat to completely repress it. Many describe incidents after combat where they are startled, angered, or injured and surveying the dropped jaw of the faces around them, then realize that they involuntarily dropped a "<pick your letter>-bomb".

If Malzahn never used a single expletive, that still wouldn't counterbalance his despicable antics on the sideline and to the officials when an opposing player appears hurt or the officials are trying to ensure that they have all their i's dotted and t's crossed before putting the ball into play. I would have more respect for a coach whose vocabulary consisted only of expletives but emphasized fair play and player safety than one that makes a pathetic spectacle of himself because running his offense at the pace he wants is more important to him than properly handling a player who might have sustained a serious injury (which might be compounded if he isn't correctly transported from the field) or than the officials ensuring proper placement of the ball, proper clock management, and proper positioning of themselves before the play starts to ensure that they are focused on their area of responsibility and where they are in the least danger of colliding with players. He gives the appearance that he's trying to confuse the officials because not only is he trying to make them work faster and more sloppily, but he's also distracting them with his constant screaming and dramatic performance.

The theatrics and drama that he performs when his team is on offense is more offensive to me than any expletive. So, "Gus, SHUT UP," and to the Auburn fambly, the narcissistic cult of antipathy who are subsequently fraught with haught and believe that perching themselves on a moral pedestal, elevated by nothing more than the difference between their fantasies of football hegemony and the brutal reality of second-fiddle, will mitigate their resulting pain, I give you an expletive-free, yet equally offensive, pejoration:

Us You
Us You
Us You

I won't run the score up on the barn. I don't know if their new scoreboard has three digits for the visitors score, but I'll bet that they were self-deluded enough to put three digits for the home score. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm reminded of the Adam Ant song "Goody Two Shoes".

I couldn't care less if he uses expletives. It doesn't make him morally or mentally superior to anyone else. Unlike some people, I believe that expletives are a useful part of a vocabulary just as the exclamation point is a useful part of the written language. I try not to use them, for I consider them to be like antibiotics: their overuse reduces their efficacy. When I am having problems getting my children's attention, I try as hard as I can to simply use menacing gestures, higher volume, and an increase in the gutturality of my entreaties to convey my increasing frustration and simultaneously waning patience, but there are times when I reach that point that my organized assault devolves into a melee and I let slip one or more of the verba ingrata into the heretofore nonchalant ears of my progeny. The shocked silence that I invoke upon my realization of this breach is followed by the immediately salient attention and concerned visage of my children. They are not accustomed to hearing me speak like that and they come to the realization of the gravity of the moment. I then calmly repeat my question, instruction, or request and I more often than not get the response I desired. I then apologize for losing my temper and explain that my language was improper and I will work harder to control it in the future.

Extremist viewpoints typically have their exceptions, IMO, and while I do not use expletives as a general practice in communication, I do believe that the shock value of certain words do have value in our spoken and written language, but only within the most dire contexts. Certain words are like the cutting edge of a machete. Use them sparingly and carefully and they will retain their usefulness. Use them too often and outside their intended context, and they will quickly dull and lose their effectiveness. Words like "racist", "sexist", "homophobe", "radical", "extremist", "pedophile", "pervert", "fascist", "communist", etc were once pejoratives that were so deadly that the mere attachment of one of them to someone via accusation was analogous to a all-encompassing scarlet letter. The irresponsible, uncontrolled hyperbole of political groups and politicians have dulled almost all of them to the point that the leveling of one of them against a person is almost met with a derisive chuckle by most people today. The verbal assault of profanity upon society by media has blunted its effect for those with excessive exposure to it. But for one not immunized, it can still be employed, sparingly, to embolden speech that is making little impact.

The effect of profanity on those not accustomed to it was described by Robert Leckie in his book "Helmet for my Pillow". He describes being repulsed and shocked by it at first and puzzled at the ubiquity of it:

Despite many cinematic depictions of foul-mouthed GI's from WWII, I have heard from some who were there that profanity wasn't quite as dispassionately invoked as much as some movies and television series would make one think AFTER boot camp. Most admit that drill instructors used everything possible to intimidate and put stress on new boots, but this was done purposely to acclimate them to the constant stress that they would experience in combat and in some cases, to break those who had a low cracking threshold during training to prevent it from happening during combat when it could have much more significant consequences. Apparently the use of it declined throughout boot camp as the recruits adjusted to the stress and its shock value began to ebb.

During combat, a stray vulgarity might still be used as an indicator of emphasis, shock, or surprise or as a degradation of the enemy, but it apparently wasn't an explicitly intended part of most soldiers linguistic repertoire. Profanity became more of an involuntary verbal response linked to certain emotional transients and many soldiers said that it took them years after combat to completely repress it. Many describe incidents after combat where they are startled, angered, or injured and surveying the dropped jaw of the faces around them, then realize that they involuntarily dropped a "<pick your letter>-bomb".

If Malzahn never used a single expletive, that still wouldn't counterbalance his despicable antics on the sideline and to the officials when an opposing player appears hurt or the officials are trying to ensure that they have all their i's dotted and t's crossed before putting the ball into play. I would have more respect for a coach whose vocabulary consisted only of expletives but emphasized fair play and player safety than one that makes a pathetic spectacle of himself because running his offense at the pace he wants is more important to him than properly handling a player who might have sustained a serious injury (which might be compounded if he isn't correctly transported from the field) or than the officials ensuring proper placement of the ball, proper clock management, and proper positioning of themselves before the play starts to ensure that they are focused on their area of responsibility and where they are in the least danger of colliding with players. He gives the appearance that he's trying to confuse the officials because not only is he trying to make them work faster and more sloppily, but he's also distracting them with his constant screaming and dramatic performance.

The theatrics and drama that he performs when his team is on offense is more offensive to me than any expletive. So, "Gus, SHUT UP," and to the Auburn fambly, the narcissistic cult of antipathy who are subsequently fraught with haught and believe that perching themselves on a moral pedestal, elevated by nothing more than the difference between their fantasies of football hegemony and the brutal reality of second-fiddle, will mitigate their resulting pain, I give you an expletive-free, yet equally offensive, pejoration:

Us You
Us You
Us You

I won't run the score up on the barn. I don't know if their new scoreboard has three digits for the visitors score, but I'll bet that they were self-deluded enough to put three digits for the home score. :biggrin:
This wins my vote for the longest, most useless post ever on TideFans. There is none else even close! :)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bobby Johnson had a no-cussing policy when he was at Vandy. Anyone caught cussing during practice or games had to run stadiums. One game he cussed at the refs after a call didn't go their way, and the following week he was out there running stadiums to show his players that he was accountable too. Have to respect Gus if he sticks to his guns and holds all players and coaches accountable for this.
In high school, I would have been a marathon runner...in college I'd probably be an 880 or half mile guy.
Now that I'm just watching Bama, I can go from preacher to ironman triathalon participant in about two seconds....lol..
just depends on the situation and the way the game is going.
But "gee whiz", simply isn't in my vocabulary in those close situations. So I cuss, and sometimes vigorously :)
Not saying it's the right thing to do!
sip

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
This wins my vote for the longest, most useless post ever on TideFans. There is none else even close! :)
Thank you once again for the reply. It is the perfect example of the point which I was attempting to make. You used not a single expletive in your reply (that seems appropriate since you are a minister), but the saltiest sailor could not have uttered a remark that matched the penetrating power of your reply. The acrimonious, caustic, debasing, and belittling nature were analogous to the thrust of a tango during seppuku and the flippancy with which it was delivered added the final draw and twist. Bravo. Given my current mood, it was the equivalent of a new four-blade broad head from a 140-lb PSE compound bow. (Yes, my mind has turned to hunting.)

Gus could speak with the purity of a saint, but his attitude and his misplaced priorities are as vulgar as I would imagine would be an essay co-written by Andrew Dice Clay and Sarah Silverman.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Maybe you should write novels; pretty good rhetoric
Thank you once again for the reply. It is the perfect example of the point which I was attempting to make. You used not a single expletive in your reply (that seems appropriate since you are a minister), but the saltiest sailor could not have uttered a remark that matched the penetrating power of your reply. The acrimonious, caustic, debasing, and belittling nature were analogous to the thrust of a tango during seppuku and the flippancy with which it was delivered added the final draw and twist. Bravo. Given my current mood, it was the equivalent of a new four-blade broad head from a 140-lb PSE compound bow. (Yes, my mind has turned to hunting.)

Gus could speak with the purity of a saint, but his attitude and his misplaced priorities are as vulgar as I would imagine would be an essay co-written by Andrew Dice Clay and Sarah Silverman.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

You are really good at this! OK...I apologize for the insult. I just couldn't believe that Gus earned that length of a response...I should have used blue font and you would have read it differently. Mea culpa...that's all the Latin I remember from 2 years of HS and 2 semesters in college....would you care to go to Greek or Hebrew? I remember even less of those.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
You are really good at this! OK...I apologize for the insult. I just couldn't believe that Gus earned that length of a response...I should have used blue font and you would have read it differently. Mea culpa...that's all the Latin I remember from 2 years of HS and 2 semesters in college....would you care to go to Greek or Hebrew? I remember even less of those.
You can usually make a fairly accurate guess at the meaning of Latin terms, since so much of our current vocabulary derives from it. You already know "mea" and that is the base of "meum" and "meae", "pinnaculum" is "pinnacle", "opus" is an endeavor or a work of passion (as in the movie "Mr. Holland's Opus"), "apice" is "apex", and "vitae" is something associated with living or life ("vida" in Spanish, "viva" in French, and the origin of the term "vittles" for food).

I have performed genealogical research for a few families and when you begin to search documentation from European sources prior to the 1600's, a lot of the documentation is in mixtures of Latin and transitional languages that have their roots in Celtic, Gaelic, Slavic, and Nordic languages. Some sources attempt to use optical character recognition algorithms to translate the original documents, but they often can't handle the mixture of languages and the fancy penmanship of the scribes of that period. So, I end up not only having to decipher the "loop-de-loop" handwriting of the documents, but also words that aren't found in any modern dictionary because they are combinations of Latin and some infant form of French, German, Dutch, or Polish. I rely on context-based guesses in a lot of cases and then I try to find other instances of similar terms in the same contexts and I can sometimes see the evolution of a term over hundreds of years from a word that looks like some Latin, some Celtic, and something just made up all slapped together with syllabic Krazy Glue into a word that is part of a modern language.

However, you are on the right path about the length of a post in relation to its usefulness. Most people today have the attention span of a Uranium 220 isotope, so they can't read more than a few words and then they devolve into meme mode, diverting to Facebook to see a picture of a cat with a funny caption so they can click "Like" and perhaps type "LOLZ", "ROTFL", "2FUN-E" or some other SMS-inspired web shorthand.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Thanks for for letting us know. I'm sure all will sleep better knowing that you didn't hurt yourself trying to read all those words. ;-)
I can read a 700 page book in a day, I don't want to read essays on Gus Malzahn and his desired vernacular.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
I can read a 700 page book in a day, I don't want to read essays on Gus Malzahn and his desired vernacular.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
My browser allows me to me to choose what topics I want to read. Do you have some fascist web browser that forces you to read topics and posts against your will? If that is the case, then let me know and we will rise up against your oppressive web browser in a webellion and fight to free you from its tyrannical grip. I don't know if it will show you this message as its parser and lexer may be so intelligent as to perceive the threat posed to it by this message, but if you are allowed to read this message, so as not to tip the browser off, just reply with a winking emoji.

i can't give specifics on our plan of attack with it parsing your HTTP stream, but we'll sneak some JavaScript operatives into position to erase your cookies, and then generate a form submission through a POST ( I bet your browser only reads the URL of resource requests) that will allow full deployment of all our assets within the browser window, where we can operate with full hostility without fear of collateral damage since the W3C standards for web browsers enforce strict process boundaries between them and your operating system.

I'm locked and loaded. Just post the emoji and the Calvary will ride to your rescue.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My browser allows me to me to choose what topics I want to read. Do you have some fascist web browser that forces you to read topics and posts against your will? If that is the case, then let me know and we will rise up against your oppressive web browser in a webellion and fight to free you from its tyrannical grip. I don't know if it will show you this message as its parser and lexer may be so intelligent as to perceive the threat posed to it by this message, but if you are allowed to read this message, so as not to tip the browser off, just reply with a winking emoji.

i can't give specifics on our plan of attack with it parsing your HTTP stream, but we'll sneak some JavaScript operatives into position to erase your cookies, and then generate a form submission through a POST ( I bet your browser only reads the URL of resource requests) that will allow full deployment of all our assets within the browser window, where we can operate with full hostility without fear of collateral damage since the W3C standards for web browsers enforce strict process boundaries between them and your operating system.

I'm locked and loaded. Just post the emoji and the Calvary will ride to your rescue.
This is fantastic, thank you.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.