Link: Sexual Assault Trial of Baylor Football Player Raising Some Questions

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

In early June, Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett was a guest speaker at a luncheon in Fort Worth for the Baylor Sports Network. During his speech, he dropped a bit of long-anticipated information about the team’s plans: He expected defensive end Sam Ukwuachu—a Freshman All-American who transferred in 2013 from Boise State to Baylor only to miss 2014, his first eligible season with the Bears, for unspecified reasons—to finally take the field. It was a significant announcement for a program that’s a favorite pick to clinch one of four College Football Playoff spots, and it was reported by a breathless sports media eager to talk up head coach Art Briles’ program. No one questioned Bennett’s assertion that Ukwuachu was expected to play—even though Ukwuachu was due to stand trial in Waco for sexual assault in just a few weeks, and if convicted, could spend up to twenty years in prison.

No one questioned it because no one outside of Baylor knew. Ukwuachu was indicted on June 25, 2014, on two counts of sexual assault against a female Baylor student athlete, and for the next year, the legal process played out without mention of Ukwuachu’s felony charge by the press or from school officials, even though it was all in the public record.
So were the following facts: That Ukwuachu transferred to Baylor in May 2013 because he had been kicked off the Boise State team for a previous incident of violence involving a female student; that Ukwuachu claimed after the transfer was announced that Baylor’s coaches “knew everything” about what happened in Idaho; and, as indicated by court documents obtained by Texas Monthly, the two programs had some communication regarding Ukwuachu in which Boise State officials expressed reticence about supporting the player’s efforts to get back on the field.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No one questioned Bennett’s assertion that Ukwuachu was expected to play—even though Ukwuachu was due to stand trial in Waco for sexual assault in just a few weeks, and if convicted, could spend up to twenty years in prison.
I know nothing about the culture in that part of the country, but how could no one have questioned that decision?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know nothing about the culture in that part of the country, but how could no one have questioned that decision?
Isn't Baylor the school that had one basketball player kill another one and then the coach tried to make the dead kid look like a drug dealer and was taped doing it?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sounds like a failure of journalism (or simple decency on the part of Baylor University and it alums). Not saying the dude is guilty just because someone accused him, but why on earth would no journalist, not a single one, even ask the question?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm going to edit my remark. The point I was going to make seems all too obvious.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
First response: YOU'RE asking US?
Second response: I think so.
:wink:
Well, I don't keep up with college b-ball. I know it was a lesser known Texas school in 2003 (e.g. not UT or ATM), but I was living in California that year and you'd be amazed at how LITTLE you actually know of news in the rest of the country. It might be different now with social media but take that year - I only saw FIVE of our games (USF, OU, Ark, UGA, and Auburn) - the start time is amazingly different, I had to purchase USF from DirecTV, I only saw 1/2 of the UGA debacle, and just not a lot of news.

Oh - I did see UT that year but primarily because I was in Albuquerque at my sister's house and they were all gone to a party.

Our state was caught up in the California Recall election - I can probably give you dates on everything about that and the Laci Petersen case.

I just recall sometime in the summer a basketball player being found dead, his teammate did it, and the coach of the team was heard on tape trying to paint the dead kid as a druggie, maybe a dealer and an assistant taped it.

Catfish - this might be why I know so little about the whole Mike Price debacle because that was the year I was out there. I mean, I've heard a lot about it since then but I couldn't say a lot of details because out there back then you went to bed and the stories all changed by the time you woke up.

But yeah I'm thinking that's right and they're saying so. Dotson, I think was the killer's name.

(Smart reply: hey, if I remembered, I wouldn't be asking!!)

:)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Baylor should thank their lucky stars that nobody much views their current success as anything other than an anomaly.

If this had happened at a traditional power, it would have been on the front page of the NYT sports section several times already, and on the front page above the fold tomorrow AM.

But it's Baylor, so nobody much cares.

Reminds me of the scandal several years ago at UAB, when the football team passed around a 14-year-old girl, and the coaches knew about it.

If that had happened just 63 miles due west, it would have shut the program down. As it was, despite a lengthy expose' in ESPN The Magazine, all it got was a yawn. Because nobody cared then or does now.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Baylor coach Art Briles denied having any knowledge about the violent past of defensive end Sam Ukwuachu, who on Thursday was found guilty of sexual assault of a then-Baylor soccer player in 2013.

Briles said Friday that he spoke with then-Boise State coach Chris Petersen personally and was not informed of any prior violent incidents prior to accepting Ukwuachu's transfer to Baylor in 2013.

"No mention of anything beyond Sam being depressed and needing to come home," Briles said. "So that was our information. And that's what you go by."
Chris Peterson gave this statement to ESPN:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Link

Chris Peterson gave this statement to ESPN:

Art Briles comes across to me as a scumbag. Maybe I'm wrong about that but the way he acted when they got left out of the playoffs last year and the way he is handling this situation pretty much confirms it, IMO..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
It doesn't take much to explain all of this - big time football and that = $$$$$. This is very similar to the many fiascoes in Tallahassee with Jameis. It's just look the other way and if it leaks, kill the messenger (or in Jameis' case, make the victim the criminal).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.