FFRF officially asks Auburn to can Pastor Chette

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/08/organization_asks_auburn_to_re.html

whether you think Chette is secretly funding players as many on the football board do or not is irrelevant, the Freedom From Religion Foundation has asked for Auburn to officially sever ties with him due to first amendment violations.

I know what most of y'all think of this. For my part FFRF is about to get a big check from me
I wouldn't have nearly the problem with this that I do if the FFRF was based in Alabama or in DC. Not a big fan of institutions from other states sticking their noses in the affairs of others.

The best part:

The FFRF has also reportedly requested documents from Alabama, but the Crimson Tide have ignored the organization.

I wouldn't give them the time of day either. Why should they?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
First Amendment - Religion and Expression.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble
We are all free from religion, every single day. You do not have to take part. You do not have to wear your feelings on your sleeves when others are taking part, and you choose not to. That is your right. Your rights have not been "violated". And when your feelings get hurt while someone else is practicing their 1st Amendment rights, you do not have to demand a "change". It's pretty simple. No one is being excluded. If you do not want to participate, more power to ya.

BTW, I'm not a fan of Bro Chette.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I wouldn't have nearly the problem with this that I do if the FFRF was based in Alabama or in DC. Not a big fan of institutions from other states sticking their noses in the affairs of others.

The best part:

I wouldn't give them the time of day either. Why should they?

because by law they have to? Or at least I think the FOIA requires them to comply. Earl?

Last edited by a moderator:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
because by law they have to? Or at least I think the FOIA requires them to comply. Earl?
Nothing in the article states that this was done through the FOIA.

Also state universities rarely, if ever fall under FOIA guidelines unless there is a state mandated FOIA. The University of Alabama isn't a federal agency.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Nothing in the article states that this was done through the FOIA.
this does

WARNING PDF LINK, this will download a 35 page PDF to your computer from the FFRF. You've been warned but it is also a fascinating read that I highly recommend which of course means most of you will avoid it. Alabama is only barely mentioned whereas Bowden, Tubberville, FSU, AU (And everywhere Tubbs coached) USCe, Clemson, UGA and many, many others are detailed quite thoroughly. (Read this first thing this AM prior to seeing the AL.com story)

https://ffrf.org/images/PraytoPlayReport.pdf

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Jone, unless they've amended it, the Alabama act is toothless, providing no penalty for noncompliance. UA has routinely ignored FOIs in the past. I'd imagine they're after us because of the tradition of the entire team attending a service at Calvary Baptist at the beginning of every season...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
this does

WARNING PDF LINK, this will download a 35 page PDF to your computer from the FFRF. You've been warned but it is also a fascinating read that I highly recommend which of course means most of you will avoid it. Alabama is only barely mentioned whereas Bowden, Tubberville, FSU, AU (And everywhere Tubbs coached) USCe, Clemson, UGA and many, many others are detailed quite thoroughly. (Read this first thing this AM prior to seeing the AL.com story)

https://ffrf.org/images/PraytoPlayReport.pdf
Searching that entire document for "FOIA" or "Freedom of Information Act" doesn't provide a single result.

Asking someone for records is a completely different animal than filing a request through the proper channels. Even if that document did say something about an FOIA, the FOIA doesn't apply to state universities. At UA, they'd have to submit a request through Alabama Open Records Law § 36-12-40, something I didn't see them do in any of the reports you've listed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Jone, unless they've amended it, the Alabama act is toothless, providing no penalty for noncompliance. UA has routinely ignored FOIs in the past. I'd imagine they're after us because of the tradition of the entire team attending a service at Calvary Baptist at the beginning of every season...
Which isn't required, is it?

I would have a problem if participation were required. But having a team chaplain, attending worship services as a team, being baptized by the team chaplain even on campus, is not a violation of the first amendment without applying convoluted logic.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Ahh, got it. Had no idea the FOIA was so weak in Bama.

and I'm sure that Cavalry event is it. FWIW I have no issue with that event as long as it is truly voluntary. But like many of these things they are typically as voluntary as summer workouts, extra study halls, etc. Sad to think that in 2015 a player would have to hide his religious beliefs for fear of losing playing time, but I also know it happens. I work with explayers from several schools including ours and have heard the stories.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Searching that entire document for "FOIA" or "Freedom of Information Act" doesn't provide a single result.

Asking someone for records is a completely different animal than filing a request through the proper channels. Even if that document did say something about an FOIA, the FOIA doesn't apply to state universities. At UA, they'd have to submit a request through Alabama Open Records Law § 36-12-40, something I didn't see them do in any of the reports you've listed.
page 25. Methodology. Sorry to me a public records request, through whatever vehicle, counted as an FOIA request. In this I was clearly in error

As part of this investigation, we requested public
records from schools that appeared to have the
most egregious chaplaincies, including:
• Auburn University
• University of Alabama
• Bowling Green State University
• Clemson University
• Florida State University
• Georgia Institute of Technology
• University of Georgia
• University of Illinois
• Louisiana State University
• Mississippi State
• University of Missouri
• University of North Carolina
• Oregon State
• University of South Carolina
• University of Tennessee
• Virginia Tech
• University of Washington
• University of Wisconsin

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
page 25. Methodology. Sorry to me a public records request, through whatever vehicle, counted as an FOIA request. In this I was clearly in error
Most states require a very specific set of guidelines to request records. There's no indication they did or did not follow those guidelines. I would assume that if a school says "no," then someone didn't do their due diligence in submitting a request.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I wonder what constitutes being on the "most egregious chaplaincies" list? Making folks attend services and baptisms, and cutting playing time for non-compliance?

Sounds legit...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It doesn't much matter that participation isn't strictly mandatory, if there is officially sanctioned pressure to participate.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I'm sorry but I just don't get the militant atheist angle with this bunch. If you don't believe in a deity, shouldn't you just laugh at those that do and be on your merry way? Why do you feel the need to suppress those who do believe, unless you know in the back of your mind that you could be wrong and you are trying to do anything you can to get rid of that little voice so you don't have to hear it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.