Link: Trump, love him or hate him, he draws a crowd...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Apparently drew 30,000 at rally
That (30,000) looks about right to me with the stands not being totally full, but people being on the field also.

I thought last night that the media had no clue as to how many were in the stadium. I heard one estimate of about 15,000. From looking at the crowd at different angles and in all sections and lots of people on the field, I thought it had to be in the 25,000 to 30,000 area.

Is there anyone who was there that could give us a good estimate?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Donald Trump aka the Charles Barkley of politics, he just tells everyone what he thinks whether you like it or not. It is kind of nice in not having a politician run for president.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
folks that have a sense of common decency are at a loss for words too.
And the last mute we elected was...?????

Btw - in our much more PC and "sensitive" age it is fond to recall the authenticity of President Harry Truman running all over the country via whistlestop train and shouting and screaming like a juvenile. But if Truman ran today and did what he pulled in 1948, he'd lose.

Badly.

Consider this for all the Truman lovers out there: in October 1948, Truman tied Thomas Dewey to - get ready for it - Hitler. In Chicago he warned that "the powerful reactionary forces which are silently undermining our democratic institutions....when a few men get control of the economy of a nation, they find a front man to run the country for them." Moments later in the same context he referenced Germany, saying, "They put money and influence behind Adolph Hitler. We know the rest of the story."

Now we can get into some fine nuances but let's be honest - any candidate today who engaged in this kind of conspiracy-laden thinking ("they get a front man") and referencing of Hitler would be devoured by the modern media for being a hatemonger. No, Truman didn't say Dewey was Hitler, but then again Quayle never said he was JFK, either (only that he'd been in Congress the same length of time). The details are lost on the public.

I think the question is not IF Trump implodes his internal support with an inapt remark but WHEN. I'll give him this - so far he has managed to calmly step back from his fusillade of rhetorical comments and condemn the attack on the Mexican in Boston (not that it was his fault, I reject that line of non-reasoning be it left or right).

Btw - just wait. The one I'm looking forward to is when Hillary opens her mouth about how Trump has not been specific about immigration (which he hasn't) and watching his rebuttal to her own lack of specificity on that same issue - somehow, I suspect the one-liner has already been calibrated to work in: a) a reference to her emails; and b) the line about Benghazi ("what difference does it make").

The funny thing is this - Hillary is the one female opponent that Trump could verbally deck and it wouldn't backfire in a huge outpouring of sympathy for her. I'm still not pleased with the candidates to choose from (I sorta lean towards Kasich.....maybe.....I don't know) across the board, but I will admit that both Trump and Sanders have injected some excitement into what is usually boring at this stage.

tidegrandpa

All-American
folks that have a sense of common decency are at a loss for words too.
The man does not drink or smoke, raised his kids, his background has been in public, (his records are not sealed at Wharton, i.e BHO)none of his employees or in-laws or acquaintances have dissed him or disputed his past. What about decency am I missing out on ? When you are truly independent, you have earned the right to speak your mind.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And the last mute we elected was...?????

Btw - in our much more PC and "sensitive" age it is fond to recall the authenticity of President Harry Truman running all over the country via whistlestop train and shouting and screaming like a juvenile. But if Truman ran today and did what he pulled in 1948, he'd lose.

Badly.

Consider this for all the Truman lovers out there: in October 1948, Truman tied Thomas Dewey to - get ready for it - Hitler. In Chicago he warned that "the powerful reactionary forces which are silently undermining our democratic institutions....when a few men get control of the economy of a nation, they find a front man to run the country for them." Moments later in the same context he referenced Germany, saying, "They put money and influence behind Adolph Hitler. We know the rest of the story."

Now we can get into some fine nuances but let's be honest - any candidate today who engaged in this kind of conspiracy-laden thinking ("they get a front man") and referencing of Hitler would be devoured by the modern media for being a hatemonger. No, Truman didn't say Dewey was Hitler, but then again Quayle never said he was JFK, either (only that he'd been in Congress the same length of time). The details are lost on the public.

I think the question is not IF Trump implodes his internal support with an inapt remark but WHEN. I'll give him this - so far he has managed to calmly step back from his fusillade of rhetorical comments and condemn the attack on the Mexican in Boston (not that it was his fault, I reject that line of non-reasoning be it left or right).

Btw - just wait. The one I'm looking forward to is when Hillary opens her mouth about how Trump has not been specific about immigration (which he hasn't) and watching his rebuttal to her own lack of specificity on that same issue - somehow, I suspect the one-liner has already been calibrated to work in: a) a reference to her emails; and b) the line about Benghazi ("what difference does it make").

The funny thing is this - Hillary is the one female opponent that Trump could verbally deck and it wouldn't backfire in a huge outpouring of sympathy for her. I'm still not pleased with the candidates to choose from (I sorta lean towards Kasich.....maybe.....I don't know) across the board, but I will admit that both Trump and Sanders have injected some excitement into what is usually boring at this stage.
I disagree about Trump's not being specific about immigration. He was very specific back in 2012 in criticizing Romney. Hint - his views then were 180 degrees opposed to what he is espousing now...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The man does not drink or smoke, raised his kids, his background has been in public, (his records are not sealed at Wharton, i.e BHO)none of his employees or in-laws or acquaintances have dissed him or disputed his past. What about decency am I missing out on ? When you are truly independent, you have earned the right to speak your mind.
he has the right to speak his mind. and he is. and the results are seen in the crowds and his supporters.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I disagree about Trump's not being specific about immigration. He was very specific back in 2012 in criticizing Romney. Hint - his views then were 180 degrees opposed to what he is espousing now...
Honest to God, I don't know what they "were." I do recall Trump toying with running, raising the birth certificate issue, and overnight evolving into a pro-lifer. But Romney wasn't my guy, and I honestly don't know what Trump's (alleged) views were then. I know that now he's talking about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it.

I won't sit here and deny Trump is a demagogue, and he isn't my guy. I do find some of it funny, though. As far as flip-flopping (assuming this is what Trump did with the 180), I'm honestly trying to recall the last time any election "really" turned on a successful campaign that the other guy was a flip-flopper. My goodness, Bill Clinton was a flip-flopper extraordinaire and won relatively easily twice. I do recall Dukakis burying Gephardt as one in the 1988 primaries, but that was a primary, not a general election.

I think the truth is that: a) every single politician out there has changed his mind on something (if he hasn't, he hasn't really grown since we all "evolve" on some positions as we age); b) 99.9% of the voters don't believe everything a politician says anyway; c) Presidential politics in the TV age is the old high school popularity contest where the 'better looking' candidate wins. I'm not saying issues are not important, but I am saying that issues RARELY settle the whole thing, it's a personality contest.

For those who would argue, I simply give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skw-0jv9kts

"I don't like Romney because of position X, which is actually Obama's position, who I'm voting for."

Btw - I'm sure the same thing can be said about just as many Romney voters.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
he has the right to speak his mind. and he is. and the results are seen in the crowds and his supporters.
ABSOLUTE HOGWASH!!!

I get sick and tired of this every single election - angry white men. Oh please. This is the same mentality that blamed the Benghazi attack on a You Tube video.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.