Link: Trump, love him or hate him, he draws a crowd...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Honest to God, I don't know what they "were." I do recall Trump toying with running, raising the birth certificate issue, and overnight evolving into a pro-lifer. But Romney wasn't my guy, and I honestly don't know what Trump's (alleged) views were then. I know that now he's talking about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it.

I won't sit here and deny Trump is a demagogue, and he isn't my guy. I do find some of it funny, though. As far as flip-flopping (assuming this is what Trump did with the 180), I'm honestly trying to recall the last time any election "really" turned on a successful campaign that the other guy was a flip-flopper. My goodness, Bill Clinton was a flip-flopper extraordinaire and won relatively easily twice. I do recall Dukakis burying Gephardt as one in the 1988 primaries, but that was a primary, not a general election.

I think the truth is that: a) every single politician out there has changed his mind on something (if he hasn't, he hasn't really grown since we all "evolve" on some positions as we age); b) 99.9% of the voters don't believe everything a politician says anyway; c) Presidential politics in the TV age is the old high school popularity contest where the 'better looking' candidate wins. I'm not saying issues are not important, but I am saying that issues RARELY settle the whole thing, it's a personality contest.

For those who would argue, I simply give you this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skw-0jv9kts

"I don't like Romney because of position X, which is actually Obama's position, who I'm voting for."

Btw - I'm sure the same thing can be said about just as many Romney voters.
Then he certainly has "grown" in just two years. Here's one sample. There are many, many others. As far as "flip-flopping, remember he claims to be a non-politician who always tells the plain truth:

“He had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal,” Trump says. “It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote,” Trump notes. “He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country.”

The GOP has to develop a comprehensive policy “to take care of this incredible problem that we have with respect to immigration, with respect to people wanting to be wonderful productive citizens of this country,” Trump says.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The other perspective is that utter absurdity that by dissing Ramos, you "dissed all Hispanics."

What a pile of crap. I seem to recall the media as a whole framing a false narrative against Hispanic George Zimmerman, but that didn't make the media "racist" or "dissing all Hispanics."

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
What so many of the Hispanics and Latinos who are up in arms over Trump's treatment of Ramos and statements about immigration seem to not grasp is that this is not a matter of race or cultural background, it's a matter of what is LEGAL. What are the RULES/LAWS? Why are we not enforcing the RULES/LAWS?

Let's start there instead of getting all bent out of shape over the color of someone's skin or where their mama and daddy are from.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
What so many of the Hispanics and Latinos who are up in arms over Trump's treatment of Ramos and statements about immigration seem to not grasp is that this is not a matter of race or cultural background, it's a matter of what is LEGAL. What are the RULES/LAWS? Why are we not enforcing the RULES/LAWS?

Let's start there instead of getting all bent out of shape over the color of someone's skin or where their mama and daddy are from.

S.O.P. is to reply with "You're new here, aren't you?" :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Regarding the press conference exchange between Trump and Ramos.....99% of the media are NOT accurately portraying what actually took place.

However.....Bill O'Reilly, in his 'Talking Points' segment on "The O'Reilly Factor" night before last, IMHO laid everything out very clearly.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The whole problem is the ham-handed way in which he handled the whole exchange. People need to remember that Wallace also drew monster crowds - outside the South, and for many of the same reasons...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The whole problem is the ham-handed way in which he handled the whole exchange. People need to remember that Wallace also drew monster crowds - outside the South, and for many of the same reasons...
i think his ham-handed ways are what is behind a lot of his popularity.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.