QB battle at Scrimmage #2...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Believe he may be worried about playing the field with a lady rather than worried about the football field.
Oh

Good

Lord

While my Dad taught me at an early age that it's a woman's world - and I'm alllllllllllllllllll too welll aware of the influence which they can exert over a man - Good Lord kid...

Priorities...

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
Can Morris push the ball down field occasionally to keep the defense honest, hit the slant, check down to the 2nd/3rd options, throw it away if necessary, etc.? If so, he's our man.
Morris/Bateman were about even on slants and Bateman appeared more comfortable in going through his progressions.... of course this is just my personal, unprofessional observation and opinion from the scrimmage today. Coker and Cornwell both seemed to just zero in on one route every time.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
What's kinda funny is that Blake Sims has been saying Morris had a legit shot for a while.

Blake Sims said:
But no less an authority than Sims himself told al.com that there's another name that shouldn't be overlooked in the Tide's starting quarterback battle: redshirt junior Alec Morris.

"He's going to factor big-time," Sims said. "Right now, everything's open. Coach [Nick Saban] is giving every guy an opportunity to prove to coach Saban, to teammates and obviously [Lane Kiffin] that they're the guy that can lead the Crimson Tide to victories."

Sims cited Morris's knowledge of the playbook, team spirit, and even an incident vs. Western Carolina last season in which he pointed out a hole in the Catamount defense to Sims even before the coaches did.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ris-will-factor-big-time-in-alabama-qb-battle

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
He's always reminded me of G-Mac when I've seen Alec run our offense, nothing flashes, does his job & has the arm to hit those short to medium yard passes, that keeps the D honest of our running game..To be honest that's when our offense is a true NC "POWER RUNNING Offense"..Keep the ball in our hands by controlling the TOP & keeping all the high octane HUNH O's on the sideline watching us stomp a "Mud-Hole" in their NC dreams..I'm most excited with Morris being the man & Starter, I sure hope we see more !Formations, Pistol Formation, with Alec running our offense, then split out a couple 5*'s RB's opposite side of Alec to choose from..My college football blood is pumping now y'all..

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Who's going to be holding the clipboard and sending in the plays?

Is Wisconsin reading this thread so that they will know tendencies of specific QB's?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Going to add this late note...

We didn't pick a QB today. Not a starter and not a backup. The competition continues. That does not come from me. I'm relaying it from elsewhere.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Neither Morris or Bateman is a transfer threat IMO but I really believe Cornwell is if he is pushed farther down the depth chart than two deep in this fall camp. He is an elite prospect and has had time to develop and learn our system. would probably be starting at a lot of other schools.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've had these former elite prospect QBs transfer before and they've done nothing major of note. If they can't make it now, staying around if they're committed is probably the wiser choice. It's tough for most QB transfers. I get the feeling that nobody really wants a QB as much as the first school they signed with out of high school. They're usually just stop gaps to fill depth issues or a low risk chance that the guy will perform better in your program.

I mean look at Coker. He has been given two legitimate shots at the job. He doesn't seem terrible but he's just another guy in the pack. It wasn't like we fleeced FSU out of the next John Elway. We just got another pretty good QB to compete with our other pretty good QBs.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Neither Morris or Bateman is a transfer threat IMO but I really believe Cornwell is if he is pushed farther down the depth chart than two deep in this fall camp. He is an elite prospect and has had time to develop and learn our system. would probably be starting at a lot of other schools.
Well I guess we are going to find out what kind of character he has to be a leader from this point forward. Let's see it doesn't appear he has stood out with his play so far and now you can certainly question his attitude. He is probably where he belongs right now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would like to see someone breakdown the differences between Coker/Morris/Bateman. I get the feeling we could win with either of the 3. My assessment is that Coker has biggest ability to stretch the field but doesn't look fluid in his mechanics and overall just looks like a guy who has not played a lot of reps as a starter even going back to high school. Morris looks to be the proverbial game manager field general type but the least mobile in the pocket not much of a threat to run. Bateman in looking back at some of his high school videos could actually be the most athletic of the 3. He and Morris both show their experience from starting so many games in high school. Is it fair to say he is a blend of Coker and Morris?

Early in the season I can see where we might want someone like Morris to manage the team until we find out how solid our defense really is. But as the season progresses we are going to need some play making ability at the position which would lead you more in the direction of Bateman or Coker, imo.

Given that both Morris and Bateman both have multiple years of eligibility remaining I think you go with the one that has the most upside. Otherwise if you go with Coker you might end up playing Barnett a year earlier than you want to, aka next year.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think saying Morris is GMac 2.0 is selling him a bit short. While he may not have the accuracy of AJ, I think he has arm strength more similar to AJ than GMac.

I'd describe him as a happy medium of our last two National Championship QB's.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
If our starter against Wisconsin is successful, no matter who it is, I wonder if we will see much of of other QBs just to see how they perform in real time?

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I appreciate the opinions but I'm gonna wait on Mack's post he seems to have a real insight.

I got no dog in the hunt just want best man if it's Morris then Great but I have not seen the accuracy (the very few times he's played) that I feel we need with all the untested receivers.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Cornwell exited spring with a very good shot at winning the job, but something has derailed him. If he doesn't win this job, he will have a hard time turning it around at another big time school.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I appreciate the opinions but I'm gonna wait on Mack's post he seems to have a real insight.

I got no dog in the hunt just want best man if it's Morris then Great but I have not seen the accuracy (the very few times he's played) that I feel we need with all the untested receivers.
Fair enough. But it's not like we have a conclusive body of work on any of them. Cornwell's fall from presumptive co-leader to witness protection is stunning. If it doesn't change I can't imagine him staying put. He has always appeared to have a healthy ego -- not necessarily a bad thing -- and clearly expects to play.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Fair enough. But it's not like we have a conclusive body of work on any of them. Cornwell's fall from presumptive co-leader to witness protection is stunning. If it doesn't change I can't imagine him staying put. He has always appeared to have a healthy ego -- not necessarily a bad thing -- and clearly expects to play.

Very well said.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would like to see someone breakdown the differences between Coker/Morris/Bateman. I get the feeling we could win with either of the 3. My assessment is that Coker has biggest ability to stretch the field but doesn't look fluid in his mechanics and overall just looks like a guy who has not played a lot of reps as a starter even going back to high school. Morris looks to be the proverbial game manager field general type but the least mobile in the pocket not much of a threat to run. Bateman in looking back at some of his high school videos could actually be the most athletic of the 3. He and Morris both show their experience from starting so many games in high school. Is it fair to say he is a blend of Coker and Morris?

Early in the season I can see where we might want someone like Morris to manage the team until we find out how solid our defense really is. But as the season progresses we are going to need some play making ability at the position which would lead you more in the direction of Bateman or Coker, imo.

Given that both Morris and Bateman both have multiple years of eligibility remaining I think you go with the one that has the most upside. Otherwise if you go with Coker you might end up playing Barnett a year earlier than you want to, aka next year.

If I was going to compare it would be like this:

Coker is like Ben roethlisberger and Brett farve. A gunslinger with a powerful arm, but will throw one or two picks per game and will throw 3 to 4 Tds per game. That's fine as long as our defense is legit, but my main concern is if he can let a terrible mistake go like Ben and Brett in which it doesn't affect the next series.

Morris is gmac 2.0. He is not as gifted with loads of talent like our other qbs but he is the most comfortable and consistent out of the bunch. I would expect him to be the type that can get short to intermediate yards but will need help from the receivers to get beyond that.

Bateman is the fastest on his feet out of the three but I would say he is the clipboard holder this year. I feel that it would be safer to rely on either Coker's talent or Morris's consistency as a second option than rely on Bateman.

The reports yesterday are mostly Coker and Morris, but depending on who you ask your going to get a different viewpoint on which did better. For example, I knew 8 people who went and 5 said Coker was better and 3 said Morris. They said that everyone else was a decent gap behind them. Then when I get on this board it's almost unanimous that Morris did better. So really we don't know and won't know until probably September 3rd on Hey Coach

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.