QB battle at Scrimmage #2...

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA
Jess thanks for your input. Always spot on.

Hope Morris can be the one. He has paid his dues to have his chance.
I watched Morris in Allen, Tx. That night he took over and willed a win with runs and passes.
Not sure why no one thinks he cannot air it out. He threw several 50 yd passes that night right on target
He could also run for yardage.
I am sure we all remember last year when most could not believe Blake Sims, who was a converted RB, could possibly take our QB reins.
I also remember Blake saying prior to the season "Watch out for Morris; he has the most QB talent"
I still have hopes for Coker. He is more willing to push the edge.
I got these stats from anonymous friends who would like to see another scrimmage.
Morris 13/21 204 yards 1 TD no INT. Looked solid in command. Said Wr's dropped 3-4 right in hands passes so Morris' numbers could have been better.
Coker 18/26 125 yards 3 TD and 1 Int but should have been 3 INT DB's dropped passes right in their hands. Also said Wr's were catching bad Coker passes.
Stewart had 8 rec. Foster 4/120 1 TD Morris hit him in stride for 35 yards then he smoked Humphrey on the 95 yard play
BB no stats but did get 1 TD but i Int through hands of Kief into the hands of Humphrey who returned it for TD. Said Humphrey made plays all over the field.
Chris Black 62 yard 1 TD, Mullaney 65 yard 1 TD. Neiswander 5 yard TD, Hentges 26 yards,
Harris had most run attempts. Must have fumbled. Minkah picket it up scored TD. All felt Minkah and Harris will be solid. Harris reminds all of Ingram.
Griffith hit a 52 and 53 yard field goal. Sure that made his critics happy.

Even though Morris looks like the leader two weeks remain before Wisconsin. I suspect CNS would prefer not publicizing the leader until game time to keep Wisconsin guessing.
A real game can alway change the playing field.
Thankfully not serious injuries.
All felt overall team looked solid. Like others felt front D 7 looked stout. Rashan Evans sacked Coker showing serious closing speed.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Going to add this late note...

We didn't pick a QB today. Not a starter and not a backup. The competition continues. That does not come from me. I'm relaying it from elsewhere.
The fact that we still don't seem to have a clear cut front runner is a real indicator that each candidate presents such a different option as a QB. If we weren't opening with Wisconsin, and had more of a cupcake, I'd think we'd see three guys (they aren't burning Blake's redshirt) play plenty of minutes.

I do hate that Cornwell has somehow fallen out of this though. Of all the candidates (aside from BB) he possesses the most overall talent. Being a big guy that can move around pretty well, he reminds me of Big Ben a lot.

If I were picking a guy today, it would be Alec Morris. Everyone calls him a GMac clone, but I think he has a better arm than GMAC did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
whoever we choose they will grow into the position thus looking a little better than they do now. Blake and AJ both had similar spurts over the course of the season. none of these guys have game contact when the game actually matters. i'm not nearly as concerned as most but i will feel a little better once a QB is named and begins getting the game reps.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Morris/Bateman were about even on slants and Bateman appeared more comfortable in going through his progressions.... of course this is just my personal, unprofessional observation and opinion from the scrimmage today. Coker and Cornwell both seemed to just zero in on one route every time.
It's my understanding that's been the rap on Coker from the get go--his struggle to read a defense and the ability to scramble out of the pocket.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Alec might be closer to Tim Tebow as far as running ability. There is video of Morris floating around of him winning the sled competition by flipping it four times down and four times back. He beat offensive lineman at the competition. He skrong.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Jess thanks for your input. Always spot on.

Hope Morris can be the one. He has paid his dues to have his chance.
I watched Morris in Allen, Tx. That night he took over and willed a win with runs and passes.
Not sure why no one thinks he cannot air it out. He threw several 50 yd passes that night right on target
He could also run for yardage.
I am sure we all remember last year when most could not believe Blake Sims, who was a converted RB, could possibly take our QB reins.
I also remember Blake saying prior to the season "Watch out for Morris; he has the most QB talent"
I still have hopes for Coker. He is more willing to push the edge.
I got these stats from anonymous friends who would like to see another scrimmage.
Morris 13/21 204 yards 1 TD no INT. Looked solid in command. Said Wr's dropped 3-4 right in hands passes so Morris' numbers could have been better.
Coker 18/26 125 yards 3 TD and 1 Int but should have been 3 INT DB's dropped passes right in their hands. Also said Wr's were catching bad Coker passes.
Stewart had 8 rec. Foster 4/120 1 TD Morris hit him in stride for 35 yards then he smoked Humphrey on the 95 yard play
BB no stats but did get 1 TD but i Int through hands of Kief into the hands of Humphrey who returned it for TD. Said Humphrey made plays all over the field.
Chris Black 62 yard 1 TD, Mullaney 65 yard 1 TD. Neiswander 5 yard TD, Hentges 26 yards,
Harris had most run attempts. Must have fumbled. Minkah picket it up scored TD. All felt Minkah and Harris will be solid. Harris reminds all of Ingram.
Griffith hit a 52 and 53 yard field goal. Sure that made his critics happy.

Even though Morris looks like the leader two weeks remain before Wisconsin. I suspect CNS would prefer not publicizing the leader until game time to keep Wisconsin guessing.
A real game can alway change the playing field.
Thankfully not serious injuries.
All felt overall team looked solid. Like others felt front D 7 looked stout. Rashan Evans sacked Coker showing serious closing speed.
Yeah, I haven't understood the knock on Morris that many have been making about him not being able to air it out. He has better arm strength than any starting QB in the Saban era.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I haven't understood the knock on Morris that many have been making about him not being able to air it out. He has better arm strength than any starting QB in the Saban era.
Its funny reading everyone's opinion on Morris. The Tidefans talent and ability evaluation of him is very mixed. He is probably somewhere in the middle of everyones opinions. Saban however would not have given him a scholarship if he didnt think he couldnt handle the job.

I have already said that i didnt think Coker would win the job and that I thought Cornwell would. At this point, i think it still is up in the air and i am not leaning towards anyone. It makes for a fun fall training camp.

RTR

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Morris might be overlooked because he's waited his turn and that leads to fans forgetting he exists as newer names join the program. He's a RS Junior but hasn't even attempted one in-game pass over two years.

The battle hasn't been decided but Saban did offer some pretty high praise if you marry it to his earlier comments about the QB position. I have to imagine that the battle is still between Coker and Morris...and they'll be listed co-starters like Sims and Coker in 2014 on the depth chart for week 1.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Morris might be overlooked because he's waited his turn and that leads to fans forgetting he exists as newer names join the program. He's a RS Junior but hasn't even attempted one in-game pass over two years.

The battle hasn't been decided but Saban did offer some pretty high praise if you marry it to his earlier comments about the QB position. I have to imagine that the battle is still between Coker and Morris...and they'll be listed co-starters like Sims and Coker in 2014 on the depth chart for week 1.

I believe that is not true. I seem to remember him throwing a pass against Southern Miss? selma can tell me I am right.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Didn't Morris win a state championship at Allen high school? I think that school is in the largest classification in Texas.Maybe Cuda1973 can answer this. The guy has talent and he has paid his dues. It seems like to me this is the kind of blue collar get the job done player that Coach Saban likes.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If I was going to compare it would be like this:

Coker is like Ben roethlisberger and Brett farve. A gunslinger with a powerful arm, but will throw one or two picks per game and will throw 3 to 4 Tds per game. T
hat's fine as long as our defense is legit, but my main concern is if he can let a terrible mistake go like Ben and Brett in which it doesn't affect the next series.

I wish this were true. The two future HOF quarterbacks mentioned make mistakes because they have such confidence in themselves that they try to throw the football through a pie-plate-sized hole. Jake throws interceptions because he takes too long to get rid of the ball or misreads the defense, and he hasn't played enough snaps to have shown he can ignore errors and go on to the next play. The spring game is a perfect example -- great first half, bad second that unraveled after the early pick.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I appreciate the opinions but I'm gonna wait on Mack's post he seems to have a real insight.

I got no dog in the hunt just want best man if it's Morris then Great but I have not seen the accuracy (the very few times he's played) that I feel we need with all the untested receivers.
In the 'pick the QB' thread Mack seemed pretty confident it will be Coker.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Didn't Morris win a state championship at Allen high school? I think that school is in the largest classification in Texas.Maybe Cuda1973 can answer this. The guy has talent and he has paid his dues. It seems like to me this is the kind of blue collar get the job done player that Coach Saban likes.
Did not win a state title. They lost in the second round his Sr year. They won 3 straight with Kyler Murray (aTm freshman) after Alec left. He had 3200 yards passing, 300 rushing, avg roughly 270 and 30. If he did that I think we'd be fine!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I was there too. Defense is going to be very very good if we stay focused and avoid the injury bug. QB i'm not so worried about. Blake Sims took us to the playoffs last year....... We don't have to have a Peyton Manning when you have the defense and skill players that we have.
I am concerned with our defense. Last year our secondary got ate alive with the long ball.If they aren't improved this year, I don't see a championship in the works for us.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I am concerned with our defense. Last year our secondary got ate alive with the long ball.If they aren't improved this year, I don't see a championship in the works for us.
Don't think you have to worry with this secondary. It appears to be one of the better ones under Saban along with a very stout front seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Gmac 2.0 if that answers your question
And that is exactly it. Go with the QB who is not going to lose games. I loved BS but if you're honest we should not have been in the playoff last year. He was SOOOOO lucky with some dropped ints that were HORRIBLE throws and decisions. Unfortunately he didn't get away with it at Ole Miss or Ohio St. and CNS warned that it would eventually happen. I just have thought Coker thinks and worries too much about making a mistake. By doing that he makes even more. It reminds me of Rick Ankiel of the Cardinals who throw a couple of wild pitches and his career as a pitcher imploded. He literally could not throw a strike ever again. He had all the physical tools but the ole noggin kept getting in the way. I could be all wrong but as time goes by it seems to back up my thinking.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think no matter who our starting qb ends up being this year we'll probably see more INTs this year than we have in the last few.

However, I don't see how our starter would be given a leash long enough to throw 2 or more INTs a game...regardless if he could produce 3 or 4 dynamic plays/tds a game.

I think this is why we are hearing AM, who may be less of a playmaker, but more stable and less likely to committ the turnover may be leading the race.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And that is exactly it. Go with the QB who is not going to lose games. I loved BS but if you're honest we should not have been in the playoff last year. He was SOOOOO lucky with some dropped ints that were HORRIBLE throws and decisions. Unfortunately he didn't get away with it at Ole Miss or Ohio St. and CNS warned that it would eventually happen. I just have thought Coker thinks and worries too much about making a mistake. By doing that he makes even more. It reminds me of Rick Ankiel of the Cardinals who throw a couple of wild pitches and his career as a pitcher imploded. He literally could not throw a strike ever again. He had all the physical tools but the ole noggin kept getting in the way. I could be all wrong but as time goes by it seems to back up my thinking.

I think CNS would settle with Coker if he can have the Big Ben mentality of not letting mistakes go to his head.

Game mangers have their downside too. If we get behind big I have my doubts of us getting back into a game. I believe since 2008 to 2013 the biggest deficit we have overcame was 14-17 points. I have far more confidence of Blake overcoming a 20 point deficit than gmac and AJ.

Alec could be more than a game manager but it's yet to be proven. I'm fine with either Morris or Coker but I would say if Coker's mentality is stronger than what we presume then he probably is the better option.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.