QB battle at Scrimmage #2...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think CNS would settle with Coker if he can have the Big Ben mentality of not letting mistakes go to his head.

Game mangers have their downside too. If we get behind big I have my doubts of us getting back into a game. I believe since 2008 to 2013 the biggest deficit we have overcame was 14-17 points. I have far more confidence of Blake overcoming a 20 point deficit than gmac and AJ.

Alec could be more than a game manager but it's yet to be proven. I'm fine with either Morris or Coker but I would say if Coker's mentality is stronger than what we presume then he probably is the better option.
One could easily argue that has more to do with the OC of each of the QBs rather than the QBs themselves. Do you think AJ could bring a team back from being down by 20 with Kiffin as OC rather than Nuss or Mac?

As much as I like McElwain, I trust Kiffin in that situation more than the other two because they had tendencies to become too predictable.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
One could easily argue that has more to do with the OC of each of the QBs rather than the QBs themselves. Do you think AJ could bring a team back from being down by 20 with Kiffin as OC rather than Nuss or Mac?

As much as I like McElwain, I trust Kiffin in that situation more than the other two because they had tendencies to become too predictable.
It really depends on which game you want to use. 2010 usce game... No I don't think AJ would've done any better than gmac. Sims maybe because of his duel threat capability. Don't yet me wrong I think we would be on a 7 game win streak against auburn had we had kiffin for the last 7, but I'm not sold that a kiffin/ AJ combo would've been able to overcome a 3 possession deficit like sims and kiffin could. Just IMO

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I would not be surprised to see a dark horse win the job. Saban wants a QB who will not turn the ball over. He is willing to trade arm strength, or athletic ability for a guy who makes good decisions. McElroy was a prime example of this. I would almost be willing to bet that Coker will not start against Wisconsin. I think Saban knows who will be starting and is keeping it under wraps so Wisky doesn't know who to prepare for. We'll see soon enough.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There's not enough difference between our QBs except maybe Bateman - who got a look at WR - to make a huge difference in the gameplan.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
CNS has used some interesting language in relation to the QB position. He wanted someone to "take the bull by the horns". He then says Morris "shown command of the position." That is what CNS is looking for. I think Coker could still get some live game looks, but I really think Morris is the man that is going to get the nod. CNS isn't going to go with potential and arm talent over leadership and good decision making. Morris seems to have those qualities from the info we have. CNS probably won't say this until much later in the season. That's how Sims was handled.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
CNS has used some interesting language in relation to the QB position. He wanted someone to "take the bull by the horns". He then says Morris "shown command of the position." That is what CNS is looking for. I think Coker could still get some live game looks, but I really think Morris is the man that is going to get the nod. CNS isn't going to go with potential and arm talent over leadership and good decision making. Morris seems to have those qualities from the info we have. CNS probably won't say this until much later in the season. That's how Sims was handled.
I agree with this assessment as well. Gotta read between the lines at what Coach Saban says.

Now watch; Barnett will get the nod

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
From our guy there...(and keep in mind, you can write the words "in his opinion" before each of these bullet points)

* Depth chart, in his opinion, is: Morris, Coker/Bateman, Barnett, Cornwell.
* Biggest improvement of the QBs from scrimmage 1 to scrimmage 2 was Bateman. He said he'd personally have Bateman as the backup over Coker.
* Said Morris was clearly the No. 1 guy in his opinion. Looked most comfortable. Every time 1s-v-1s went on the field, Morris started the drive. Said it looked like Saban was more engaged with him than the others. He thinks the decision has been made.
* Said Coker is thinking about too much mechanical stuff and not about QBing. Coker threw at least 2 INT that were dropped, that were right in the DBs bread basket.
* Said Barnett is "nowhere close" to the top 3.
* Said the biggest negative to Morris is what we've talked about here before -- lack of big-play ability.
* He's very upbeat about the rest of the team, though. Said too many drops from the WRs today but otherwise we have all the pieces UA needs for a championship run. Just gotta get the QB right.

No disrespect to Jess or anyone else who has given scrimmage updates, but I find them all to be very "loose" and misleading. Which QB had the tougher throws? Who had more man/zone coverage? Any play action? What situations did they put in before a play? Did anyone hear, This is a 3rd and 10 situation when the guy thought it was 2nd and 1? Who ran a wrong route? Was the QB flushed on the bad throws mentioned? Who had certain play packages the first scrimmage but different ones during the second? Were these guys on the sidelines or in the stands giving us what they saw? Sorry, but I find these details to be important when giving an "opinion" of what one saw.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
No disrespect to Jess or anyone else who has given scrimmage updates, but I find them all to be very "loose" and misleading. Which QB had the tougher throws? Who had more man/zone coverage? Any play action? What situations did they put in before a play? Did anyone hear, This is a 3rd and 10 situation when the guy thought it was 2nd and 1? Who ran a wrong route? Was the QB flushed on the bad throws mentioned? Who had certain play packages the first scrimmage but different ones during the second? Were these guys on the sidelines or in the stands giving us what they saw? Sorry, but I find these details to be important when giving an "opinion" of what one saw.
I've been lucky enough to attend a few scrimmages in the Saban era, and you make an interesting point. Scrimmage stats are very different than game stats. Example: (not this year) A non-first string QB was leading the offense in a toss sweep play to the left side. On the first effort, he lost the handle on the football trying to pitch it, a linebacker was there for the scoop and score and the head coach stopped things as he picked up the ball, yelling "do it again". Next play, the qb fumbles the center exchange because he pulled away too early. Coach, all red in the face, screamed, "do it again". This time the qb takes the snap, makes the pitch relatively successfully and (not surprisingly) the defense nearly kills the RB as he tries to turn the corner. I'm not sure what stats you record in a series like that. I know the REC scrimmage traditionally runs more like a real game, but since that day I've been highly skeptical of scrimmage stats. I think they are more about overall impressions. And Jess has really good sources for such impressions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Good point uaintn. Never attended a closed scrimmage, of course, but it seems about the same feeling I get from those I know who have attended in the past.

You can't know too much about how someone allegedly threw 3 TDs because they could've all come in goal line situational drills when the defense was setup in specifically bad defensive look against a pass design.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I would not be surprised to see a dark horse win the job. Saban wants a QB who will not turn the ball over. He is willing to trade arm strength, or athletic ability for a guy who makes good decisions. McElroy was a prime example of this. I would almost be willing to bet that Coker will not start against Wisconsin. I think Saban knows who will be starting and is keeping it under wraps so Wisky doesn't know who to prepare for. We'll see soon enough.
Who did Greg McElroy beat out again for starting QB? A young AJ? Who else was in the competition?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Star Jackson and he pretty convincingly beat him. By mid-2009, McCarron would have likely been the guy to go if McElroy had a significant/season-ending injury.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
AJ had become the backup by mid-season. Star was competing for the job in camp and first couple of weeks. GMac had cracked ribs for the BCS Championship game and many of the guys including GMac said it was AJ who set to replace him if we needed to pass the ball in the second half (he couldnt throw the ball down the field at all ).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.