QB battle at Scrimmage #2...

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
From our guy there...(and keep in mind, you can write the words "in his opinion" before each of these bullet points)

* Depth chart, in his opinion, is: Morris, Coker/Bateman, Barnett, Cornwell.
* Biggest improvement of the QBs from scrimmage 1 to scrimmage 2 was Bateman. He said he'd personally have Bateman as the backup over Coker.
* Said Morris was clearly the No. 1 guy in his opinion. Looked most comfortable. Every time 1s-v-1s went on the field, Morris started the drive. Said it looked like Saban was more engaged with him than the others. He thinks the decision has been made.
* Said Coker is thinking about too much mechanical stuff and not about QBing. Coker threw at least 2 INT that were dropped, that were right in the DBs bread basket.
* Said Barnett is "nowhere close" to the top 3.
* Said the biggest negative to Morris is what we've talked about here before -- lack of big-play ability.
* He's very upbeat about the rest of the team, though. Said too many drops from the WRs today but otherwise we have all the pieces UA needs for a championship run. Just gotta get the QB right.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I was there too. Defense is going to be very very good if we stay focused and avoid the injury bug. QB i'm not so worried about. Blake Sims took us to the playoffs last year....... We don't have to have a Peyton Manning when you have the defense and skill players that we have.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I was there too. Defense is going to be very very good if we stay focused and avoid the injury bug. QB i'm not so worried about. Blake Sims took us to the playoffs last year....... We don't have to have a Peyton Manning when you have the defense and skill players that we have.
Did you agree with the take we got, re: Morris?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
From our guy there...(and keep in mind, you can write the words "in his opinion" before each of these bullet points)

* Depth chart, in his opinion, is: Morris, Coker/Bateman, Barnett, Cornwell.
* Biggest improvement of the QBs from scrimmage 1 to scrimmage 2 was Bateman. He said he'd personally have Bateman as the backup over Coker.
* Said Morris was clearly the No. 1 guy in his opinion. Looked most comfortable. Every time 1s-v-1s went on the field, Morris started the drive. Said it looked like Saban was more engaged with him than the others. He thinks the decision has been made.
* Said Coker is thinking about too much mechanical stuff and not about QBing. Coker threw at least 2 INT that were dropped, that were right in the DBs bread basket.
* Said Barnett is "nowhere close" to the top 3.
* Said the biggest negative to Morris is what we've talked about here before -- lack of big-play ability.
* He's very upbeat about the rest of the team, though. Said too many drops from the WRs today but otherwise we have all the pieces UA needs for a championship run. Just gotta get the QB right.
Thanks Jess. It seems Morris is the guy that will lead and not do anything stupid (very similar info I received after the 1st scrimmage). With CLK's guidance I think Morris can develop nicely into the QB to lead us to our next championship.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I heard multiple different things from people that I know were there, but more or less the overall take away was that it's Coker or Morris. They also pretty much said Coker is more talented but Morris is more consistent. They also said the young bucks have a ways to go, but they all are talented. With all the reports coming I still think Coker will be the starter for the first series against whisky, but Morris will get a serious shot. I think the consensus is that they are close but the deciding factor is going to be whether they feel that Coker's talent outweighs his flaws or if a game manager is a better choice than a highly talented qb with some flaws in this age of football. Then again nobody that is reporting or giving their opinion are close enough to 100% know what clk and CNS are thinking so until September 3rd we are probably talking about who will start

bamaltc

Scout Team
Dec 8, 2010
Florence, AL
I was there today with my dad and another good friend. By far, in our opinion, Bateman and Morris were the better QBs in the scrimmage. Bateman looked a little more comfortable than the others, while Morris made the fewest mistakes. For the three of us that went together, we voted and it came out 2-1 in favor of Morris.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Can Morris push the ball down field occasionally to keep the defense honest, hit the slant, check down to the 2nd/3rd options, throw it away if necessary, etc.? If so, he's our man.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Believe he may be worried about playing the field with a lady rather than worried about the football field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh lol. Well, if true, he really needs to learn how to multi task. Can't go through life with a woman taking up all your time/mental energy to the point you can't be productive at work or school..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.