Who will be the biggest surprise in the ACC this year?

Who will be the surprise team in the ACC this year?

• Total voters

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Using USA Today/Coach's Poll Top 25, who will be the biggest surprise team not in the Top 25?

I would say Louisville but after the Gus-Mus Dynamic Duo beats Louisville 119 - 3, I fear Louisville wil abandon football as UAB did.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The Athletically Challenged Conference will have its biggest surprise when Jimbo Fisher actually suspends someone valuable for doing something almost wrong.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'll give a breakdown of Virginia Tech since my wife and her whole side of the family are VA Tech fans which means I am a surrogate fan when Alabama isn't playing.

OFFENSE:
Offensively the Hokies don't have some of the tools that other high-power programs tout. Their QB lacks many of the athletic traits necessary to shine at this level. However, as we saw in the game against Ohio State (spits), he is certainly a competitor. His fundamental drawbacks are that he tended to hold on to the ball for too long and had a penchant for staring down receivers before making a late throw. The upside is that he is impressively tough for a smaller QB. Last year's O-line allowed him to get punished relentlessly, but he always hung in the game. This is his 2nd year in the system, so I expect more comfort and fluidity with his O-Line and report with his receivers. This years O-Line is older and more mature, and so the feeling among the fans is cautiously optimistic. They are putting a fist in the dirt and giving their QB more time through the spring and fall scrimmages. The cautiousness comes from a lack of depth. Behind the O-Line starters are talented, but young and unproven backups. At wide receiver the talented Isaiah Ford returns for his sophomore year and stands to benefit from experience and more reps with his QB. Tech DOES have a pair of powerhouse tight-ends in Bucky Hodges and Ryan Malleck. Sophmore Cam Phillips rounds out the starters. Again, depth is an issue. Running back is a bit of an unknown. There appears to be talent but the group was so riddled by injuries last year that it's difficult to tell where this position stands.

DEFENSE:
Any defense under the supervision of Bud Foster has a reason to feel optimistic. His "Bear-Cover-Zero" scheme against Ohio State proves that the blade is still plenty sharp. Always a Tech strength, the defense looks to be the fulcrum upon which they pin a majority of their hopes this year. Expect to see a lot of man coverage and expect to see their secondary winning a lot of those matchups. Led by star cornerbacks Kendall Fuller, C.J. Reavis and Brand Facyson the secondary is experienced, disciplined and aggressive. Depth is decent here as well. The D-Line is filled to the brim with upper classmen and talent, led on the outside by 2 of the ACC's most prolific pass rusher is Ken Ekanem and Dadi Nicolas. Depth here is good since a lot of injuries allowed backups to get reps during the spring. Many people are comparing this line to that of 1999-2000. The linebackers are the most luke-warm position group on this side of the ball. Nobody has much to say about any of the starters and depth is more of an issue here. If assignments are met then it shouldn't be much of an issue. This defense may have the sharpest teeth not just in the ACC but in the Power 5.

Last edited:

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
Pretty much any team that makes it to the ACC Championship Game that's not FSU will surprise me. It'll all come down to not who can be the best, but manage to not lose as many as everyone else.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Does Georgia Tech count as a surprise?
The surely surprised me last year. I was at their first game against Woffard before leaving at half time to walk to the Georgia Dome and they had a slight 10-0 lead on Wofford and looked terrible obtaining that lead. Told my son (GT student) that his sister and I were leaving to go watch some real football. He got to see some exciting games last year especially the win over Georgia. That was a great game and it would have been sweet for them to beat FSU. I'll be definitely watching them more closely this year since I am sending money to that fine institution. Hope they surprise everyone and make it to the playoff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.