China economic slump?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yah, The Shanghai Index was down another 7.6% on Tuesday - they're taking a huge beating over there.

Looks like DOW futures are currently up over 500 points.
But China cutting interest rates is causing European markets to bounce back. An article in The Guardian indicates that if the trend continues, the European market jump will be the biggest in about 4 years.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It will be interesting. IDK about the brass knuckles. They've shown, since the major blunder in the last mass demonstrations, a surprising sensitivity to public opinion. If this has shown anything, it's shown just how far they are from a true market economy...
The Chinese have shown that they will still clamp down especially if they can keep it relatively quiet. I think they have also shown that they don't give a rip about what the other nations around the East or South China Seas think about their actions. However, yes they do value their world image.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
yeah, but i wouldn't want to be on the "wrong" side if things start going down either. :)

i've been to hong kong a few times, but i've only been to guangzhou on the mainland and even though there were some really nice things about it, that place gave me the creeps for some reason.
Some friends of mine went through an adoption process. They said the whole time they were over there they kept finding themselves humming "Somebody's Watching Me."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Some friends of mine went through an adoption process. They said the whole time they were over there they kept finding themselves humming "Somebody's Watching Me."
rockwerr was in the hizzouse ;)

hong kong felt perfectly normal. once the train crossed in to china the feeling changed. i did listen to a bama game on tune in radio while in a hotel in guangzhou. and the hotel was crazy nice for around $80 per night. the food was excellent too.

i would like to get to beijing or shanghai to see if it feels different.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a client in SE China and his father is in assisted living here. It's not unusual for there to be a couple of dozen emails back and forth between us in a day. Occasionally, our emails will "hang up" and not go through immediately. He believes every word in every email is read by a censor...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I have a client in SE China and his father is in assisted living here. It's not unusual for there to be a couple of dozen emails back and forth between us in a day. Occasionally, our emails will "hang up" and not go through immediately. He believes every word in every email is read by a censor...
I used to e-mail with Chinese all the time in a previous work life. The difference in time zones was the biggest issue. It was rare to send an e-mail and get a reply back before the next day. And the broken English was a hoot.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My wife and I adopted a little girl from China and we were there for 16 days. I never felt like anyone was watching, but I did think my email was being censored. Some of it was never received. We were very careful about what we said, but I do that in any foreign country.

There is a lot of money in China, but the poverty there is severe, much worse than anything I've seen anywhere in the states. In Nanchang, there is a large community of lean-to sheds that are one on top of the other right in the middle of the city. Go a block and you'll see beautiful high rise apartments.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I used to e-mail with Chinese all the time in a previous work life. The difference in time zones was the biggest issue. It was rare to send an e-mail and get a reply back before the next day. And the broken English was a hoot.
He's lived there for eight years. He's American, married to a Chinese, well native of the region. They're not Han. They're China's largest minority, originally from Thailand. He works in software development, so he thinks he's been in their sights for a long time. In fact, I use a piece of software he helped develop. Yes, the 13 hour time lag is a problem, but neither of us thinks that's the big problem. We sort of work our exchanges around it. He gets up early, so my email is normally waiting on him. However, I had to tell him I wouldn't answer anything coming in after 10PM, because I can't vouch for my competency then. :) Our email exchanges have been smooth, except for the occasional strange lag. Looking at the content, I can sort of predict when they're going to hang up for a second look. They're very suspicious of anything which could be code.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This party has no representation
Disappointingly true, at least in absolute terms.
One party has, on occasion, tried to restrict the growth of Federal spending, that would be the Republicans in the mid-1980s, and the mid-to late 1990s. In both cases, the Democrats went to the mat to keep Federal spending growing as much as possible.

In the early 2000s, the Republicans, having Hose, Senate and White House, went on a spending spree, based on the advice of Karl Rove. The surplus disappeared like a fart in the wind. I cannot recall the last time Democrats wanted to reduce, or even restrict the growth of Federal spending, although I'm sure it is theoretically possible. Probably the Cleveland Administration.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
He's lived there for eight years. He's American, married to a Chinese, well native of the region. They're not Han. They're China's largest minority, originally from Thailand. He works in software development, so he thinks he's been in their sights for a long time. In fact, I use a piece of software he helped develop. Yes, the 13 hour time lag is a problem, but neither of us thinks that's the big problem. We sort of work our exchanges around it. He gets up early, so my email is normally waiting on him. However, I had to tell him I wouldn't answer anything coming in after 10PM, because I can't vouch for my competency then. :) Our email exchanges have been smooth, except for the occasional strange lag. Looking at the content, I can sort of predict when they're going to hang up for a second look. They're very suspicious of anything which could be code.
Glad this doesn't happen on TF forum...or does it???:)

I just sent an email to China about 5 minutes ago but it was on our internal company email so hopefully no problems.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Are you saying that you are reasonably certain all emails leaving and entering the China are censored?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Are you saying that you are reasonably certain all emails leaving and entering the China are censored?
I won't answer for Earle but what I gathered was that his client has been there for several years, works in high tech and is likely on the radar. I don't think they have the capacity to read every text and e-mail which would be in the billions daily.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Every email going to or coming from China is not censored, but checked. They have electronic scrubbers look for certain letter combinations.
To test this out, pick someone you don't like and send them an email in which you say, "You are right. The Tienanmen Square Massacre was a travesty," and see what happens.
On second thought, don't do that. It may be really unpleasant for the person on the Chinese side of that email. They might just delete the email. They might arrest the recipient.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
If that is your daughter in the picture, she is awfully cute. Was it a long process?
My wife and I adopted a little girl from China and we were there for 16 days. I never felt like anyone was watching, but I did think my email was being censored. Some of it was never received. We were very careful about what we said, but I do that in any foreign country.

There is a lot of money in China, but the poverty there is severe, much worse than anything I've seen anywhere in the states. In Nanchang, there is a large community of lean-to sheds that are one on top of the other right in the middle of the city. Go a block and you'll see beautiful high rise apartments.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Every email going to or coming from China is not censored, but checked. They have electronic scrubbers look for certain letter combinations.
To test this out, pick someone you don't like and send them an email in which you say, "You are right. The Tienanmen Square Massacre was a travesty," and see what happens.
On second thought, don't do that. It may be really unpleasant for the person on the Chinese side of that email. They might just delete the email. They might arrest the recipient.
OK, that makes sense. I don't email anyone regularly anymore, but it's good to finally know what they do.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.